LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mechanic question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 10:23 PM
dry-fly
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mechanic question

So my LS 460 is needing the control arm business taken care of. I’d like to find a Lexus mechanic from Sewell or Park Place that moonlights on weekends for extra cash to do the job. I can’t tackle it myself, I’ve had a broken vertebrae in the past and two fusions. Anyway, what’s the etiquette for asking around for these folks? Is it wrong to ask at the dealership? Who should I ask... service advisor? I’ve scoured local boards, FB, etc with no luck yet. Suggestions? Btw, I’m in the DFW, TX area.
Old 01-13-19, 07:11 AM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

I definitely would not ask at the dealership.

You should search/post in the regional forum and ask about good independent shops.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (01-13-19)
Old 01-13-19, 08:51 AM
dry-fly
Driver

Good ideas, but I’ve done them. I’m not just looking for an independent mechanic, I’m trying to find a local Lexus mech. that wants extra work on the side. I’ve also posted in the local section here in Club Lexus, but that section doesn’t seem to get visited much.
Old 01-13-19, 08:58 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dry-fly
Good ideas, but I’ve done them. I’m not just looking for an independent mechanic, I’m trying to find a local Lexus mech. that wants extra work on the side. I’ve also posted in the local section here in Club Lexus, but that section doesn’t seem to get visited much.
You will get nowhere asking the dealership. Why would they want to lose dealership business? Unless you have a strong relationship with the techs, then not sure you will get anywhere. Can’t hurt to ask the mechanic one on one, but no way in hell would I involve anyone but that mechanic.

Typically you can find good Lexus or Toyota Mechanics that started their own businesses. Takes a little research but they can be found
Old 01-13-19, 09:14 AM
dry-fly
Driver

Ok, asking at the dealer clearly sounds stupid..... it sounded better in my head.
Old 01-13-19, 09:43 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

It takes only a minute to look under services on your local Craigslist, often really good mechanics advertise for business there.

Surely there are lots of regarded independent auto repair shops in your area you could call and ask if they have a good experienced person able to do your work.
Old 01-13-19, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

To be clear, there is NO reason why you need a Lexus tech to do that job. Its very straightforward, and any certified mechanic can do the job and do it very well.

Its not as easy as just saying to a Lexus tech "come over and do this at my house", they need tools, a lift, lots of things. Just find a good independent shop and take it there.

The beauty of having an LS vs a Mercedes or an Audi or something is that anybody can work on it. A gas station could do this job...
Old 01-13-19, 10:39 AM
dry-fly
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be clear, there is NO reason why you need a Lexus tech to do that job. Its very straightforward, and any certified mechanic can do the job and do it very well.

Its not as easy as just saying to a Lexus tech "come over and do this at my house", they need tools, a lift, lots of things. Just find a good independent shop and take it there.

The beauty of having an LS vs a Mercedes or an Audi or something is that anybody can work on it. A gas station could do this job...

gotcha, thanks..
Old 01-13-19, 10:54 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

and why jeopardize someone getting fired
Old 01-13-19, 12:23 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

FWIW, I've done it. At a MB dealer, I asked one tech and he said no but pointed me to another. This one came out to my home and hooked up an electrical plug that I had forgotten where its home was in the middle of a job I was doing.. I asked him what I owed him and I had to talk him into taking anything. Another occasion was when a Vette I was working on had a broken plastic window gear. I couldn't get the new piece in. I went into the garage area at local Chevy dealer and asked where a Corvette guy was. The tech walked me over to another tech and with the gear assembly in my hand, he said give that damn thing as he knew exactly what i wanted. He said i do these all day long and quickly put it together for me. I discreetly tried to give him something but he refused to take it.

I wouldn't be afraid to ask.

Oh, almost forgot. Doing my first oil change on my '11 LS, I managed to drop the oil filter canister and the inside pieces went flying. For fear of not getting it back together properly, I went to Lexus and again talked to one of the techs about it. He promptly put the thing back together and refused to take anything.

BTW, my wife thinks I'm crazy when I do such stuff.
The following users liked this post:
dry-fly (01-13-19)
Old 01-13-19, 12:28 PM
dry-fly
Driver

Thank you for that, jud149. I know mechanics do side work for extra cash... that’s all I was looking for. I’m certainly not getting anyone fired, give me a break. If DIY folks can do this repair in their driveway, then why couldn’t a Lexus/Toyota mech?
Old 01-13-19, 12:59 PM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Go find an Indy shop where you can build a relationship and get a warranty on the job.
Nothing against guys doing side work, but you want some sort of assurance that the job will not only be performed, but done right with some backing to fix things if they go wrong.

A good independent shop has probably done this job many times and knows exactly how to get it done right without costing you a fortune.
Old 01-13-19, 01:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I find that most mechanics don't even want to do side work, it's too much of a pain in their driveways. Can you find someone? Sure, but most of these guys find it to be too much of a hassle. You break something...now you're stuck with this guys car in your yard, and now you're fixing it for free. Nothing is easy. Nothing just comes right off. Something goes wrong and you don't have a lift or some sort of tool that you need, or keep at the shop.

Just go with an independent it's easier for everyone.
Old 01-13-19, 03:05 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Don’t know what part of metroplex you live in, but try TLS Automotive in Euless. Guy who owns worked for Toyota for over 20 years and then opened his own business. Don’t know what he would charge for these but wouldn’t hurt to call him. Good luck.
Old 01-13-19, 04:50 PM
dry-fly
Driver

Thank you for that. I’ll give TLS a call

Quick Reply: Mechanic question