LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transmission Fluid Flush / Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 07:29 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

It is funny that you bring up shudder fix. I put that in a few months ago and it stopped the shudder for a few weeks. My plan is to drain and refill again and add the shudder fix and see what happens. From my research it works 50% of the time and I guess it is worth it to see what happens. I only use the truck on weekends so I can afford to not be in a rush to fix it.
Old 02-09-19, 11:17 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rick3242
Thanks for the input - I have decided to follow your recommendations. Let me ask your opinion on my tundra - I have read that some owners that had the same issues after a flush did a few drain and refills and it seemed to clear up the problems with the torque converter. Any thoughts on that?
A little fluid left in the converter should not be a issue. Assuming your trans shifted fine before it should be just as good after. We are talking preventative maintenance. Sounds like they had bigger problems to start with and they're convincing themselves fluid alone fixed the problem. If it got that bad and a fluid change made a huge difference then they are on borrowed time more than likely.

Also a clarification on brake bleeding the LS with its electro-hydraullic brake actuator
Some people report needing Techstream to bleed the brakes on the LS 460 properly others have said they did it just fine without it. I don't know if the people needing the Techstream are flying solo or doing it old school (pump the brakes/crack a bleeder) or what... I haven't needed to do mine yet but will clarify once I do. I will get a helper to pump the brakes old school and report back.
Old 02-10-19, 12:54 PM
Ls460Matt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverSS
All this misinformation.. Listen, I'm a ex-mechanic, been 30+ years, since then I've been a Service Advisor and all my life have been in and out of shops/dealerships. So I have more exposure than some... I refused as a Advisor to sell customers stuff they DID NOT need and had to quit when a service manager thought that "sales" was more important than being trusted by my "service" customers... Some things just are not worth the hassle.

Flushes - DON'T DO IT. If someone is trying to sell you that crap under the auspices it gets all the fluid out of the torque converter, rejuvenates seals, etc.. run away... Likely they will hook up to your cooler lines, run a machine that puts way too much pressure on your trans seals, often backwards (back flushing), and the fluid will get changed but your seals may let go. Its simply not worth the risk that the lowest paid grunt in the garage is using your 90K Lexus to learn on. And they don't usually change the fluid in those machines between vehicles. You get whatever their bulk oil supplier provides. Even at the Dealership. This is the same crap they want to sell you for Coolant Flushes too. Then you get into oil additives, brake flushes etc...

Service Intervals & Lifetime Trans Fluid - Don't know who started the whole "lifetime trans fluid" stuff but they are simply wanting to sell you a new trans or new car every 150-200K miles... Generally speaking, Every 100K, drop the pan, new filter, new pan gasket, reassemble, top it back off, cycle through the gears forward and back, check levels then go for another 100K. Change more often if manufacturer specifies or if used to trailer or haul heavy loads.

Brake Fluid Service Intervals: The same transmission intervals goes for maintaining your brake lines/system. If you don't drive much, low mileage, maybe every 3-4 yrs then. You should be able to simply loosen top of reservoir, add new fluid, have a helper pump the brakes for you, bleed each corner, checking fluid often, bleed until it comes out clear. Note: The LS with its electro-hydraullic brake actuator some people report needing Techstream to perform a bleed and not get a code others have said they did it just fine without it. I don't know if the people needing the Techstream are flying solo or doing it old school (pump the brakes/crack a bleeder) or what... I haven't needed to do mine yet but will clarify once I do. I will get a helper to pump the brakes old school and report back. Anyway... Never use brake fluid that's been opened for more than a few weeks, metal cans are better. Never do this when its raining either. Blake fluid is hydroscopic, attracts water/moisture, the enemy of your brake system. I like ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid. It's a DOT 4 fluid. Sadly after 15 ys on the market the Feds outlawed it because it was ... BLUE. (wtf?) So ATE TYP 200 is what I use now. The SL.6 is thinner but boiling point is slightly lower. It's available on Amazon. Should only take 1L to do a full bleed but get 2 cans just in case. If you come up short its just not worth it.
Note: Stay VERY far away from any silicone based "racing" DOT 5 or DOT 6 brake fluid. That stuff attracts moisture much more aggressively, needs to be replaced in a fraction of the time (seriously).

Hope this all helps.

This is the #1 reason I read this forum so often. It’s people like you, with experience AND good character that spend the time to help everyone out. Thank you!

I bought my 2007 ls460 with 59,000 miles on it. I noticed after driving it, there was some hesitation (more noticeable right after cold start) that I didn’t like. I’ve done two TS drain and fills, much smoother now although hesitation comes and goes albeit less frequently. Considering doing it every 6 months, doesn’t cost me more then $75 total (I have the best mechanic). I’m probably due for a brake fluid flush, my 75,000 mile checkup is coming.
Old 08-09-19, 10:10 PM
elejes
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So I drained the transmission fluid, dropped the pan and replaced my filter.

So I just fill her up from the “WS” plug until fluid comes out, seal it then start the car and let the temp reach 115 and open the overflow drain?

I know, better said than done. Did a lot of reading but I still feel like I need to confirm.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-19, 10:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by elejes
So I drained the transmission fluid, dropped the pan and replaced my filter.

So I just fill her up from the “WS” plug until fluid comes out, seal it then start the car and let the temp reach 115 and open the overflow drain?

I know, better said than done. Did a lot of reading but I still feel like I need to confirm.
Thanks in advance.
You are correct. Measure what comes out and put an extra 1/2 - 1 quart in there just to be sure that you get fluid out of the overflow tube.
Old 08-10-19, 12:14 PM
elejes
Driver

Darn it, I did not measure what came out. The car took about 8.5 qts through the fill hole before coming out. I’m about to install the tech stream program to drain the overflow. Am I doing it right? I’m afraid I’m over filling it, but I guess the overflow will take care of that when the transmission reaches its correct temp.
Old 08-10-19, 05:43 PM
elejes
Driver

Finished the job. After overfilling until it leaked out from the fill hole I drained about 2-3.5 qts when I waited for my trans temp to hit its mark. Took it for a ride and the shuddering went away.

Overall im glad I did it. I should have payed to get it done. It’s a pain. I put it on ramps and the space under there was challenging. I could not get the darn tech-stream installed because of the registration key so I used a infrared temperature laser gun.

I’m hoping next time won’t be as bad. Planning on doing another drain and fill during my next oil change.

Thanks to all those who shared their insight.
Old 08-12-19, 02:20 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Glad that you got it done. If you got 8 quarts in there before it started to spill out your transmission had to be severely under filled.