LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone wrap all the wood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 07:04 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Anyone wrap all the wood?

Anyone manage to wrap all the wood including the steering?

i’d Prefer wrapping because it can be removed but I doubt it can be done to a steering wheel. Anyone done it?

theres also something called aqua printing here are some pics but maybe not this exact colour but something similar.

Old 01-21-19, 07:08 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Also anyone with matte finish wood on the later year vehicles have pics of what the steering wheel looks like is it also matte. What variations of matte finish wood did they have ?

Thanks
Old 01-21-19, 11:29 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I've wrapped interior panels with vinyl before but never a steering wheel. That sounds really difficult due to the contour and subsequent usage. Even if you could get it looking good intially I doubt it would stand up for very long. The process of water dipping you're talking about is called hydro dipping and you can do any pattern you want. The steering wheel could be done but you'd have to talk to the shop about masking the leather and how that would look on the edges. Typically an entire part is hydro dipped. This process is pretty pricey as they're going to have to do each part individually which means a different sheet each time. Then there's the process of getting grains directionally correct with parts in proximity. Same goes for vinyl wrapping-lots of planning involved if your wrap has a pattern.
Old 01-22-19, 09:05 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I wrapped my panels around Thanksgiving. I still need to redo/fix a few, but this is how it came out.

Old 01-23-19, 05:03 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
I wrapped my panels around Thanksgiving. I still need to redo/fix a few, but this is how it came out.

this is exactly what I was looking for, what wrap did you use? Any specifics ? Did you do it yourself? How did you deal with the area near the part with the Lexus font ?
Old 01-23-19, 03:48 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I've wrapped a few panels...even did some furniture for a buddy.

The sky is the limit for 3M Di-Noc wrap as far as finishes go.
Old 01-23-19, 10:05 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Nice guys, noted on 3M Di-Noc wrap where can I find what wood colour options are available from factory for the matte wood when they started having it
Old 01-25-19, 09:35 AM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca

this is exactly what I was looking for, what wrap did you use? Any specifics ? Did you do it yourself? How did you deal with the area near the part with the Lexus font ?
I used Vvivid XPO Black Ash Wood.
Amazon Amazon

Yes, I did the wrap my self and it was the 1st time I've ever wrapped any interior panels. It takes a little getting use to and you want to make sure the surface is extremely clean.

It depends on which part you are taking about. The most difficult part for me was the ashtray section. It was hard to get the curve without bubbling and as you can see from the pics, I still have a small air bubble.

I definitely like the look, but still need to figure out something about the steering wheel. Not sure I want to spend a few hundred dollars swapping out the steering wheel.
Old 01-25-19, 07:00 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
I used Vvivid XPO Black Ash Wood. https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Black-...wrap+Black+Ash

Yes, I did the wrap my self and it was the 1st time I've ever wrapped any interior panels. It takes a little getting use to and you want to make sure the surface is extremely clean.

It depends on which part you are taking about. The most difficult part for me was the ashtray section. It was hard to get the curve without bubbling and as you can see from the pics, I still have a small air bubble.

I definitely like the look, but still need to figure out something about the steering wheel. Not sure I want to spend a few hundred dollars swapping out the steering wheel.
great thanks for the info, I was talking about the cd changer area with the gold Lexus letters still showing
Old 01-26-19, 12:44 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Also anyone with matte finish wood on the later year vehicles have pics of what the steering wheel looks like is it also matte. What variations of matte finish wood did they have ?

Thanks
the steering wheel has a bit of shine compared to the rest of the wood in my car. May be a protective finish since it is the wheel.
Old 01-26-19, 02:09 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cubbylex

the steering wheel has a bit of shine compared to the rest of the wood in my car. May be a protective finish since it is the wheel.
photo pls ?
Old 01-26-19, 08:37 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

here is a picture that I hope helps you out.
Old 01-26-19, 08:55 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cubbylex

here is a picture that I hope helps you out.
i see, it’s not gloss gloss like mine but ever so slightly glossier than the matte that is on the rest of the wood, good to know thanks. Do you know where I can find a catalogue of what matte wood options were available? Thanks
Old 01-26-19, 09:09 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

The only matte finish for 2010 is what I have. If you can locate a hard copy brochure, you might have a better look.

i have downloaded one that makes it convenient to look thru, but not sure you get a true representation.

what you showed above in the wrap looks nice and I would consider it if mine was shiny.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-19, 01:51 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Hi

do a search for Lexus ls460 brochure 2010 pdf in your browser and you will have a multitude of selection you can download.

It it is that simple.

Hope you find find what you need. My PDFs hat I saved are no longer in my iBooks section.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone wrap all the wood?