LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trunk fob/entry not opening trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19 | 09:22 AM
ziomal
Driver School Candidate

Default Trunk fob/entry not opening trunk

Hello, I have done my due diligence and figured out this was not a valet button issue, nor a theft deterrent issue. After installing a datasystems suspension controller, the key fob worked once to open the trunk, and has stopped working since. All the other functions on the key fob are working, the gas cap opener is working, and sometimes, but rarely, the power closer button will work to close the trunk after I open it with the master key. The trunk was working flawlessly prior to the battery disconnect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-19 | 09:34 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Try disconnecting the battery then reconnecting.

A few questions:
Did you try your other FOB?
Did you change the battery in the FOB?
Is your FOB the only one inside or near the car?
Can you hear anything clicking or moving on the drivers side rear inside the trunk area when you hit the trunk open button?..... This is where the motor and module is.
Did you accidentally disconnect any plugs or cut any wires while installing the controller?
Can you open the trunk without the FOB?

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 01-26-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-26-19 | 09:45 AM
ziomal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I have disconnected and reconnected the battery several times with different settings. I read that if you disconnect the battery with the car locked, it will disable the trunk, so I made sure to disconnect it with the car doors unlocked, no cigar.
Old 01-26-19 | 10:42 AM
ziomal
Driver School Candidate

I think the problem was the extreme cold. It's been steady single digits recently. Left the car in the sun today, despite being single digits, the trunk finally started working again.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (01-26-19)
Old 01-28-19 | 12:57 PM
ziomal
Driver School Candidate

Welp, disappointed to report the fob and entry button for the trunk aren't working. It worked for about 20 minutes that one time and then nothing, tested in a heated garage and a couple more disconnects, still nothing. The power closer still works half the time, the other half of the time it gives a buzz while open and after 2 presses it disables itself. Replaced the key battery today, still nothing. The only part that isn't connected in the car is the passenger airbag, forgot to reconnect it during a data systems controller and install and will reconnect once my Vline comes in but would be very surprising if the passenger airbag is causing the trunk to not work. Will report back once it starts working again.

Edit: Forgot to mention the trunk will work about once every 100 presses of the fob, I believe my trunk mechanism might be broken, but that is really odd given that the power closer still works about 50% of the time.
Old 01-28-19 | 02:13 PM
jmcraney

If I remember correctly, there is only one way to open the trunk that does not involve the wireless remote key (fob) and that is by operation of a switch on the dash, near the driver's left knee. Does that method of opening the trunk work reliably?
Old 01-28-19 | 02:17 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
If I remember correctly, there is only one way to open the trunk that does not involve the wireless remote key (fob) and that is by operation of a switch on the dash, near the driver's left knee. Does that method of opening the trunk work reliably?
I open mine a lot by a button under the trunk lid by the rear camera, but it definitely has to recognize the fob nearby.
Old 01-28-19 | 03:28 PM
ziomal
Driver School Candidate

The switch by the driver's left knee doesn't work with the key fob nearby, maybe it would work once out of 100 attempts but I've only had that luck with the fob so far. A lexus tech recommended I check the voltage on the wires, so that would be the next step if it continues not to work after I reconnect the passenger knee area airbag.
Old 02-01-19 | 06:37 AM
supraguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealing with same issue on my 2008 LS460

Originally Posted by ziomal
The switch by the driver's left knee doesn't work with the key fob nearby, maybe it would work once out of 100 attempts but I've only had that luck with the fob so far. A lexus tech recommended I check the voltage on the wires, so that would be the next step if it continues not to work after I reconnect the passenger knee area airbag.
After a lot of research, conclusion is trunk latch going bad. A reliable workaround (after much trial and error) is to use physical key to open and manually shut trunk. Cost to fix at dealer is $900, so choose what fits your situation.

NotFasty (02-01-19)
Old 02-01-19 | 07:30 AM
ziomal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback, I have pretty much exhausted every troubleshooting option except one chuck mentioned, hopefully I accidentally loosened a connection when I was taking apart the interior and that is causing the malfunction. I can live with manually opening the trunk for a couple weeks but it's hard to go back to after experiencing the supreme luxury of a power opening truck haha. Really appreciate your help. Will report back once I figure out a solution.
Old 02-02-19 | 01:56 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

The "one thing" that stands out for me is that this just happened immediately after you installed the controller and that is why I suggested checking all the plugs in the area where you were doing the work...... "IF" one connector associated with the trunk motor is not seated properly or a wire got pulled out of the connector temperature and/or vibration "could" affect the electrical connection.

Forgot to mention! Do you have a "VALET" switch in the glove box???..... A friend of mine had a failing valet switch (forgot which Lexus model) that was failing in the colder months and once we replaced the valet switch the trunk worked well.

BTW! "IF" you can’t fix it with a hammer it’s an electrical problem!!

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 02-02-19 at 02:44 PM.
Mastiffman (01-22-23)
Old 11-10-23 | 02:43 PM
GeorgePoling
1st Gear

None of this worked for me ...Totally unimpressed with this car!!!!!

Old 11-10-23 | 04:01 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

First, welcome to the forum. That's a pretty old thread. What year LS460 do you own? Are you having issues with it?
Old 11-10-23 | 04:13 PM
dubsta1
Driver

you dhould have a key on the fob to openn
Old 12-26-23 | 03:45 PM
Gibbs
Driver School Candidate

So, I purchased a rebuilt trunk latch mechanism like the one in the photos above. I'm in the process of installing it tonight and suddenly realized that I don't have the torque spec for the 3 x 10mm bolts that hold the latch mechanism to the trunk lid. I did a quick search of this forum including the DIY sticky, but nothing obvious jumped out. Does anyone have the torque spec for those bolts? TIA

Last edited by Gibbs; 12-31-23 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Trunk fob/entry not opening trunk