LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs LS500 vs G90 vs Continental...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 11:54 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RussLS460
Any idea why cars in California are generally more expensive then other states?

I suspect it may have to do with the overall higher cost of living out there. As an experiment, I ran MMR on the same 2015 LS460 witth 31k miles, non adjusted CR and white color. See the following:

National MMR is $35,500
Southeast - $35,710
Northeast - $35,300
Midwest - $35,100
Southwest - $34,800
West Coast - $36,100

For those of you looking at traveling to buy cars, this is definitely something to consider.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (12-08-19)
Old 02-04-19, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Here's the thing with the G90. Intellectually, I know it's a good car. But who aspires to one day own a Hyundai? I've been around long enough to remember where they started and it's a mental block I just can't get past in a luxury automobile.
Thats why I don't have one, otherwise I would.

People had to overcome that with Toyota too though, it will come in time.
Old 02-04-19, 09:29 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

I thought My grom vline2 allows me to have car play?
Old 02-05-19, 07:15 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats why I don't have one, otherwise I would.

People had to overcome that with Toyota too though, it will come in time.
Is this why the depreciation is crazy high? What other reasons would drive the high depreciation?
Old 02-05-19, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RussLS460
Is this why the depreciation is crazy high? What other reasons would drive the high depreciation?
The depreciation on the G90? Yes, its an unknown entity and that impacts depreciation.
Old 02-05-19, 08:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Here's the thing with the G90. Intellectually, I know it's a good car. But who aspires to one day own a Hyundai? I've been around long enough to remember where they started and it's a mental block I just can't get past in a luxury automobile.
You can say the same thing about a LS400/460/500. Who aspires to own a Toyota?

A Mercedes S class is a aspirational car for many because of how nice it is, not necessarily just because it is a Mercedes. I like the S class but a CLA, GLE, C class does absolutely nothing for me, I don't care if they are Mercedes, I would much rather have a GS, G80, LS460, or G90 over those cars.
Old 02-05-19, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know many people who aspire to own a Lexus. But, that has come about over the 30 years Lexus has existed, it will take time for Genesis to get there.
Old 02-05-19, 11:43 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove a 2010 Genesis 4.6 before I got my LS460. I know they've likely come a bit of a way since then, however, I ran into some MAJOR issues over time before I dumped it at CarMax.

1) LOVED the car for a while. Ballsy V8 with solid interior (not LS level, though) and incredible Lexicon sound system (Much better than LS's).
2) Was reliable until 2017 when the ABS Controller/pump went out. Recall issue so replaced it after much harassment.
3) Late 2017 Valve spring broke in Cycl 4. Caused BAD vibration. Dealer could diagnose. Did plugs/wires, then wanted to do computer. Took to great indy and diagnosed spring in 2 hours... replaced without pulling head (dealer mandates pulling head)
4) Therm went out in late 2018.
5) ABS ECU Went out again in early 2018 just outside 1yr warranty. $2k repair. Indy couldn't get pump to program to Computer. Had to take to dealer.
6) After return from dealer it had huge electrical issues... radio wouldn't turn off (killed battery), wouldn't recognize key, etc. Left with dealer for 3mo (thankfully had LS at this point) and they gave up.
7) Pulled fuse to mask issue and dumped at Carmax for $5k

Dealership/Service at Lexus is literally orders of magnitude better than Hyundai. Don't forget to factor that in.

Last edited by icon901; 02-05-19 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LVPUNK (09-22-22)
Old 02-05-19, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That car and Genesis today are a totally different world.

As for service, remember with a new Genesis service is included for 3 years, and they pick up and drop off the car so you never have to go to a dealership. We have a few owners here and everybody I've talked to have been very happy with the service.
Old 02-05-19, 11:54 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That car and Genesis today are a totally different world.

As for service, remember with a new Genesis service is included for 3 years, and they pick up and drop off the car so you never have to go to a dealership. We have a few owners here and everybody I've talked to have been very happy with the service.
I hear ya.. I've ridden in a G80 and G90 (not driven), but going from my local Hyundai to my local Lexus dealer in the past year, I can say the former is completely incompetent and the latter is at the top of their game. It's like going to Chili's one week then Ruth's Chris the next.

No matter what Hyundai promises on a corporate level, you will be stuck interacting with your local dealer... Keep that in mind and look into the service department's rep before making that commitment. YMMV.

Last edited by icon901; 02-05-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 11:55 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UDel
You can say the same thing about a LS400/460/500. Who aspires to own a Toyota?
Lexus is rather unique in this regard. When the LS400 was introduced, it was specifically targeted at M-B and BMW and it delivered. Look at the sales numbers. They did it right and it happened at precisely the right time. I don't think Acura and Infiniti were able to completely replicate it. At least not to the same degree. Lexus was able to establish itself as a benchmark brand and people absolutely aspire to own one. Genesis *may* get there in time. Remember, Lexus has an almost 30-year head start and that's a long time in the automotive world. I suspect that Genesis doesn't have that kind of time. Automation is about to drastically alter the transportation paradigm. We're all like horse and buggy owners in 1910 right now.
Old 02-05-19, 12:24 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

right on the money
Old 02-05-19, 02:08 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

I still like to keep up on the Genesis G90 Forum, and I saw this post today (see below). I thought it illustrated some of the frustrations the G90 owners are having with the dealership service. And yes, as Steve pointed out, the dealer will come pick up the car and bring it back when done (Concierge Service), but if the service work itself is crap, the nice delivery service won't make up much good will...

First trip from Arizona to North Carolina. New car almost no miles on it. First time car was over 70 miles per hour.
Side wall blows out from tear on inside of bead area. Wife and 2 grand children in car. Genesis couldn't find a tire near by
Finally located a off brand tire 2 hours away and on the donut under 50mph. Was over 3000 miles back home where it took me 3 days to get the right tire. Had to pay for it my self, Reimbursed later by Genesis. Tire company said have dealership call and they would approve a new tire. Dealership said they don't do that.
shortly after returning air bags shut down. Dealer said they repaired.
Next trip Air bags shut down after 200 miles into trip. traveled al the way to North Carolina before anyone could fix.
500 miles coming back air bags out again. Left car with dealer upon arriving home and took a dealer rep to get it fixed.
Then as starting a trip anti freeze is low. dealer topped off then on starting trip, no heat. At dealership for a week because they
couldn't figure out what was wrong. Even with a TSB being out on problem. Took a week to get part.
Asked about my map update was told there wasn't one. After showing Genesis there was one, They updated map to version 12 and not 12.5
I just stopped taking car on trips and that was what I purchased car for. It is the ultimate with monitors in rear for great grand children.
Don't worry about if I'm stuck on road but grand children and great grand children it is a different story.
Not going to get into all the little things that have gone wrong
Old 02-05-19, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Dealer quality varies, it does with Lexus too. On a trip like that not being able to locate the proper sized tire within a certain radius is a common problem when cars run low profile high performance tires. If you're out in the middle of the country in an LS and you experienced the same tire failure, you would have a similar problem.

The other issue items are a different story. The question would be how common are those issues? The G90 scores extremely high in initial quality (higher than the LS)
Old 02-05-19, 02:53 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

It's always YMMV. For example, read through the service history of this 2016 LS460. It goes through the auction in New York Thursday. JTHDL1EF3G5007905. Nothing like brake actuator problems at 10k miles. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with that car. It just happens.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs LS500 vs G90 vs Continental...