LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson owners who stream music...sign up for TIDAL...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts
Default Mark Levinson owners who stream music...sign up for TIDAL...

So I saw something on the LS500 forum and thought it was interesting. I had never heard of the TIDAL music streaming service before, apparently everything they have is hi-fi lossless content that is much higher bitrate than other services, downloaded music or certainly XM radio. They had a free trial so I signed up and downloaded the app. Make sure to select the HiFi subscription option

Well...let me say the difference is amazing. Even listening to music I have on my iPhone, it sounds so much richer and better streaming through the Tidal app.

I will check back in and let you guys know how I feel about it after I've used it a while longer,

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-03-19 at 02:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (07-08-19)
Old 02-03-19, 03:19 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I can second Tidal streaming as the gold standard in fidelity, their top tier subscription streams cd quality, and even high resolution with the right equipment. I’ve been using this at home for a few years now. JAY Z purchased Tidal from the founders a few years ago and it is very well known in the high end audio world.
Old 02-03-19, 06:10 PM
LuxuryCar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using Tidal as well. I also have Spotify and even with the streaming quality at Very High (320kbps I think) I still prefer Tidal's sound. There is an IOS app called VOX that can play your files (lossless) or stream Spotify at "Very High" through it and allow you to make extremely granular adjustments to the sound using its awesome equalizer and presets.

If you want to push the very best signal possible with a iPhone you should check out this article, https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-...-your-iphone-0 . but it will require a lot of effort.

Honestly, I am completely content with Tidal Hifi + iPhone + Lightning cable to USB ML input.
Old 02-03-19, 07:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Driving home from a Super Bowl party tonight I was listening to one of my favorite live albums, one that I have listened to in this car in MP3 format many, many times...the sound difference through Tidal is absolutely amazing. It truly is like being right there in the concert. Going back to the MP3 iTunes version is like listening to it in Mono.

I played around with USB vs Bluetooth streaming and found the difference to be very slight, I'll keep the cord out but likely will continue to just BT stream it for ease.

Really incredible, its like a completely different sound system.
Old 02-03-19, 09:39 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I tested Tidal last year and my ears couldn't tell the difference between Tidal Hi-Fi vs CD version of a song vs Amazon Music vs Google Play Music quality. I even played those bitrate tests comparing 128kbps, 192kbps, and 320kbps, and half the time I mistakenly picked the 128kbps as the "best sounding". So disappointed in myself but it tells me that I don't need to spend more time chasing better sound. Glad for others that can still discern a difference. I was prepared to go all-in on lossless audio with the ML system but sadly it is not worth it with my aging set of ears. To everyone else, enjoy!

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-03-19 at 09:42 PM.
sha4000 (02-04-19)
Old 02-05-19, 05:58 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I read this post yesterday morning, downloaded and signed up for the hi-res service, downloaded some music I had on my iTunes app (for comparison) and was pleasantly surprised at the quality difference with Tidal. Used the lightening cable, didn’t try BT. Bose headphone quality sound from my ML system. Sound level at 42 was amazing.
Old 02-05-19, 06:21 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The only thing I really miss about my old Genesis was the Lexicon sound system, which crushes the Lexus audio system. With that I always preferred hard-wired vs Bluetooth (noticeable difference).

W/R/T streaming platforms, I've found Spotify's "Very High" setting with 320kbps (Ogg Vorbis) to be damn good resolution.I can't bring myself to pay double for less selection on Tidal.

Last edited by icon901; 02-05-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I read this post yesterday morning, downloaded and signed up for the hi-res service, downloaded some music I had on my iTunes app (for comparison) and was pleasantly surprised at the quality difference with Tidal. Used the lightening cable, didn’t try BT. Bose headphone quality sound from my ML system. Sound level at 42 was amazing.
Its amazing. Trying it back and forth I have started using the lightning cable vs BT.

Originally Posted by icon901
The only thing I really miss about my old Genesis was the Lexicon sound system, which crushes the Lexus audio system. With that I always preferred hard-wired vs Bluetooth (noticeable difference).

W/R/T streaming platforms, I've found Spotify's "Very High" setting with 320kbps (Ogg Vorbis) to be damn good resolution.I can't bring myself to pay double for less selection on Tidal.
Have you tried Tidal to compare? I have also used Spotify on Very High and this is considerably better. Tidal has a 30 day trial, give it a try.

Like I said, this is what was missing from my ML experience.
Old 02-05-19, 07:29 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its amazing. Trying it back and forth I have started using the lightning cable vs BT.

Have you tried Tidal to compare? I have also used Spotify on Very High and this is considerably better. Tidal has a 30 day trial, give it a try.

Like I said, this is what was missing from my ML experience.
Yeah, I have tried it... a buddy is a Jay Z megafan so he's been pushing Tidal pretty hard. I gave it a listen on a few different tracks. It sounds great, but to me the difference between the two is negligible in the car, but a bit more pronounced with my Grado cans. If I still had the Genesis with that ridiculous Lexicon system, I the gap might be more noticeable to push me to shift.
Old 02-05-19, 07:35 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

And those of you who use Android and pay for the premium service will also get Tidal Masters (or MQA) files that are HI-RES audio and better than CD quality. However I am not sure whether the ML unit can actually play 24 bit files natively.
icon901 (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 09:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A group of us were just in my friend's BMW with the Harmon Kardon system and we plugged my iPhone in to try it, they were all completely blown away...

I think it likely depends on your audio system. IMHO XM radio and other compressed sources actually don't sound as good on the ML as they do on the basic system.

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
And those of you who use Android and pay for the premium service will also get Tidal Masters (or MQA) files that are HI-RES audio and better than CD quality. However I am not sure whether the ML unit can actually play 24 bit files natively.
Correct. I can listen to the masters files on my computer, but not over my iPhone. Androids can stream the masters as well.