LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

SUCCESS Legacy Garage Door Opener & 2007 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 02:44 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default SUCCESS Legacy Garage Door Opener & 2007 LS460

I finally after months of attempt after attempt, I finally got my 2007 LS460 L to mate with my Overhead Door Legacy 696 Opener with CodeDodger II remote (manufactured sometime before 2007). I was so excited at the success that I had to tell you guys, and hope I help even one person that has been struggling. If you have been like me frustrated at all the key sequences, then here's my solution that I just programmed for all 3 garage doors.

The KEY is that you have to do BOTH sequences listed below (First & Second), and in a specific order. Follow me, as I explain the programming of Garage Door #1...

No need to have engine running. Homelink is always active on Lexus cars.
Clear/reset the Lexus Homelink buttons on your LS460 by depressing buttons 1 & 3 for ~30 seconds. The lights will flash steady, then faster, then rapid, and then will go out. release both buttons once the light goes out

First SEQUENCE
1. Hold the Legacy remote within three inches from the LS garage door button/keypad.
2. Depress and hold the desired LS Door button 1, 2 or 3 (in this case button #1). LED turns on steadily.
3. Depress and hold the Legacy remote button until the Homelink LED begins to flash rapidly. Release both.

Second SEQUENCE
4. Exit car and press the Legacy door opener's "Learn" button on the garage door drive motor housing, until its LED turns on.
5. Within the allotted 30 second period you are going to press the LS #1 button 3 times. Return to the car and depress #1 button for about 2 seconds, release, repress for 2 seconds, release, repress for third time, and your garage door should open/close depending on the state it's in.

To program LS buttons #2 & #3, you simply have to start at Step 1 above and repeat remaining steps 1-5 in both the first & second sequence for each door you wish to program. No need to clear your buttons again, as that will erase your previous work.

I swear, this has been one of the biggest pain in the ***** that I have encounter in programming a garage door opener in my life. I like many others have been confused that the First & Second sequences as separate and independent operations, depending on your type of garage door opener, but in fact they are connected. The first sequence learns the remote and the second allows the opener to learn the new remote (LS).

So I hope this helps someone out there, as I have read through multiple threads on this site with confusion for nearly 6 months.

Good Luck fellow LS460 owners with Legacy 496 or 696 Door Openers
The following 3 users liked this post by Tlutrick:
crocs430 (02-05-19), NotFasty (07-28-21), Outofspec (07-28-21)
Old 02-04-19, 03:14 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Also, you may have to clear your “learned” codes from your garage door opener if they have never been reset. This is good security to prevent other old home owners can’t access, but remember that you’ll have to reset your remotes as well. I went ahead and redid mine for my family.
Old 07-28-21, 12:18 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2012 and a newer opener and have not been able to 'pair' them successfully. Super annoying.
Old 07-28-21, 01:40 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
I have a 2012 and a newer opener and have not been able to 'pair' them successfully. Super annoying.
It's exactly as the OP writes. It's the only way I've ever been able to pair my former Lexus cars as well as my current car. You have to clear the codes from your car by pressing 1 and 3 until you get a flashing light. Press the garage remote and one of the 3 buttons until it pairs. Climb a ladder, press the learn button on your garage door opener, get to your car quickly and hold down the same button you programmed in your car until the door closes. It works for me.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 07:10 AM
Fastnlight
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
It's exactly as the OP writes. It's the only way I've ever been able to pair my former Lexus cars as well as my current car. You have to clear the codes from your car by pressing 1 and 3 until you get a flashing light. Press the garage remote and one of the 3 buttons until it pairs. Climb a ladder, press the learn button on your garage door opener, get to your car quickly and hold down the same button you programmed in your car until the door closes. It works for me.
I’ve been struggling with this as well as a new owner of a 2009. The owners manual doesn’t seem to mention anything about pressing 1 and 3 to get it into pairing mode. I’ll have to try this.
Old 07-29-21, 09:17 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fastnlight
I’ve been struggling with this as well as a new owner of a 2009. The owners manual doesn’t seem to mention anything about pressing 1 and 3 to get it into pairing mode. I’ll have to try this.
Not pairing mode, but clearing mode. You need to clear out any past codes rambling around in those buttons. Once you do that, follow the other steps and it should work.
Old 07-29-21, 02:07 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by R Z
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

I just noticed that this thread got bumped by some possibly fake account. But if cures my issue - then woo woo!
Old 07-30-21, 06:26 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotFasty
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

I just noticed that this thread got bumped by some possibly fake account. But if cures my issue - then woo woo!
Yes, there is a clown who disguises himself thru a variety of fake names. Has been around for years.
Old 08-01-21, 06:37 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
3. Depress and hold the Legacy remote button until the Homelink LED begins to flash rapidly. Release both.
I tried again this weekend to program my car to my Craftsman opener and I failed. The only thing that goes differently for me is this step - when I do this step, the Homelink LED only flashes slowly & I don't know what this means or how to 'fix' it.

I've scoured threads here and tried every method a few times but can't get it to work. Every other car that I've owned functions properly, even my 2006 Jeep that needs a Homelink 'bridge' that allows older vehicles to access newer openers.
Old 02-10-22, 08:13 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Works

I've got a 2009 LS and Genie silent garage door opener I installed last year in 2021. Same as the OP I couldn't program my LS button but followed the OPs steps and it works. A couple quick notes: 1) you've got to hold your LS buttons down for a while to get them to go from solid to blinking to fast blinking to off, give it up to 45 seconds before giving up, and 2) at the final step when you've hit your opener's learn button and then go to hit your LS buttons make sure you follow the instructions to hold the LS button down for 2 seconds. Once it's programmed you also have to hold down the programmed LS button for a count before the garage door opens/closes. I was making the mistake of hitting it quickly expecting instantaneous action but don't do that.

Thanks to the OP and good luck to all.
Old 02-10-22, 09:31 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Glad it's working
The following users liked this post:
jeng9495 (09-16-22)