LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why does the LS disable VSC, ABS, PCS every time something goes wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 09:01 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Why does the LS disable VSC, ABS, PCS every time something goes wrong?

I absolutely love my 2007 460L Ultra Luxury, but it's driving me a little crazy with disabling all of the car's safety system every time something goes a little astray. In the past 2 months I've had 2 O2 sensors go bad and today my AFS went a little haywire - each time causing all of those safety systems to go down. Can anyone explain to me why the LS needs to turn off VSC, ABS, traction control, and PCS every time I get a CEL or some other kind of error? Today I drove for an hour in 4 inches of snow with everything disabled. Brought me back to my teenage years of driving a rear wheel drive car - it was quite an experience.

On a side note - the AFS error went away and all my systems were back in working order after I was home for about an hour and went back out. Hoping it was just a one time fluke thing (The AFS flashed immediately after hitting a pothole on my passenger front side - then all of the other systems disabled themselves within a few seconds of the AFS error).
Old 02-06-19, 01:27 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Next time I would pull over, shut the car off and restart. Might clear everything. Works on my Benz all the time but my car is possessed hehe.
Old 02-06-19, 07:09 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Little
Next time I would pull over, shut the car off and restart. Might clear everything. Works on my Benz all the time but my car is possessed hehe.
I did - unfortunately the quick stop and restart didn't clear it.

I'm mainly interested in why everything shuts down when the adaptive headlights indicate they might have a problem, or an O2 sensor isn't working like it should. Seems crazy to shut off safety systems for very minor non-related (at least according to what I understand) issues.
Old 02-06-19, 10:57 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

It seems to be a Toyota thing...my 2007 Camry XLE did it too. Maybe they just want to get you into the service department at the dealer.
Old 02-06-19, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I absolutely love my 2007 460L Ultra Luxury, but it's driving me a little crazy with disabling all of the car's safety system every time something goes a little astray. In the past 2 months I've had 2 O2 sensors go bad and today my AFS went a little haywire - each time causing all of those safety systems to go down. Can anyone explain to me why the LS needs to turn off VSC, ABS, traction control, and PCS every time I get a CEL or some other kind of error? Today I drove for an hour in 4 inches of snow with everything disabled. Brought me back to my teenage years of driving a rear wheel drive car - it was quite an experience.

On a side note - the AFS error went away and all my systems were back in working order after I was home for about an hour and went back out. Hoping it was just a one time fluke thing (The AFS flashed immediately after hitting a pothole on my passenger front side - then all of the other systems disabled themselves within a few seconds of the AFS error).
My Toyota 4Runner does the same thing. Seems to me it is a design defect, almost a safety issue that should be recalled. I have no idea why it be this way. Heck, might as well turn off ABS as well while they are at it?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-06-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 11:34 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't think it really turns off those systems completely. It just a glorified way of the car warning you of a system malfunction.
Old 02-06-19, 11:40 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I had the same issue with the pothole I posted a thread about it, I had to use a odb reader and Clarista, cleared the codes and no problem since, but no one has really commented anything else so I don’t know much about what happened.
Old 02-06-19, 12:08 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
I had the same issue with the pothole I posted a thread about it, I had to use a odb reader and Clarista, cleared the codes and no problem since, but no one has really commented anything else so I don’t know much about what happened.
Did the pothole damage any wheels. Maybe the wheel speed sensor was damaged when you hit the pothole, hence it throwing the code.
Old 02-06-19, 12:28 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Did the pothole damage any wheels. Maybe the wheel speed sensor was damaged when you hit the pothole, hence it throwing the code.
dont think so if it was a permanent issue I should have been able to clear the codes and have them not come back
Old 02-06-19, 01:10 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't think those lights are an indication that the systems have been turned off. Instead it is an indication that the systems have been trigged because an instability has been detected. The lights are a latched indication that the systems were triggered, to make you aware that conditions may be unsafe and, as "Little" suggested, will be reset when the ignition is cycled.
Old 02-07-19, 10:01 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I don't think those lights are an indication that the systems have been turned off. Instead it is an indication that the systems have been trigged because an instability has been detected. The lights are a latched indication that the systems were triggered, to make you aware that conditions may be unsafe and, as "Little" suggested, will be reset when the ignition is cycled.
Some were definitely off in my situation. I was fishtailing all over the snowy roads. It’s almost impossible to do with the vsc functioning. Cruise is definitely non-functional as well. Not sure on the abs.
Old 02-07-19, 11:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Some were definitely off in my situation. I was fishtailing all over the snowy roads. It’s almost impossible to do with the vsc functioning. Cruise is definitely non-functional as well. Not sure on the abs.
Thanks for the input. I know that the Cruise is disabled. Since I have very little experience driving in snow I wasn't aware that you could sense that the VSC was disabled - I thought stability would be uncertain with or without VSC.
Old 02-07-19, 04:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
lights on means they don't work. The lights on in my 4Runner, you can tell when it snows.