LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dont forget to replace the Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 03:39 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Ok to do a partial flush, i.e empty the fill reservoir and add fresh fluid? I've been doing that for years. The cars I've purchase usually have pretty clean brake fluid to begin with. I usually do it twice a year with oil changes
Probably not a great idea, you're only getting the top fluid out, the real damage is occurring in the calipers, where that fluid is baking everyday from the heat of the pads transferring through the caliper pistons (that's where you'll find the nasty stuff).

But don't feel bad, if you got your brake fluid "flushed" at a dealer, there's a good chance that's all you're getting anyway. The good old turkey baster treatment...just suck it out of the reservoir, clean off the bleeder valves with some brake clean (so it looks like you did something) and you're done in two minutes, paid an hour.

I once ran into a guy that would skim a half quart of oil every oil change he performed. The dealer began "counting" the amount of oil we pumped into cars, we'd have to go to the parts counter, tell them how many quarts we needed, and that's all we'd get. People were stealing oil out of the pumps so the dealership started doing this - well this guy still got his - he'd just pump a half quart into milk cartons he had in his bottom drawer, then use them when he did his own oil changes. Every car...half quart low...usually if you're getting your oil changed at the dealer you are not the type to go checking your oil, and if you did? Well he just made a simple mistake. Long story short...change your own fluids if you can.
Old 02-10-19, 03:46 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Probably not a great idea, you're only getting the top fluid out, the real damage is occurring in the calipers, where that fluid is baking everyday from the heat of the pads transferring through the caliper pistons (that's where you'll find the nasty stuff).

But don't feel bad, if you got your brake fluid "flushed" at a dealer, there's a good chance that's all you're getting anyway. The good old turkey baster treatment...just suck it out of the reservoir, clean off the bleeder valves with some brake clean (so it looks like you did something) and you're done in two minutes, paid an hour.

I once ran into a guy that would skim a half quart of oil every oil change he performed. The dealer began "counting" the amount of oil we pumped into cars, we'd have to go to the parts counter, tell them how many quarts we needed, and that's all we'd get. People were stealing oil out of the pumps so the dealership started doing this - well this guy still got his - he'd just pump a half quart into milk cartons he had in his bottom drawer, then use them when he did his own oil changes. Every car...half quart low...usually if you're getting your oil changed at the dealer you are not the type to go checking your oil, and if you did? Well he just made a simple mistake. Long story short...change your own fluids if you can.
Well for Me I used around ten bottles ( 354mL*10) to flush out all the dirty old brake fluids and replace with new fluid.
Old 02-10-19, 08:20 PM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to changing the brake fluid. Just got it done at a dealer (i know, i know...laugh away!) and definitely makes a difference in term of braking "feel".
Old 02-11-19, 09:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
Well for Me I used around ten bottles ( 354mL*10) to flush out all the dirty old brake fluids and replace with new fluid.
That's why for 79 bucks, I let the dealer do it. Economically and "time is money", etc. Also, there are the elements I'd rather not deal with. I also don't have Techstream, so there's that.......
Old 02-12-19, 06:48 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Since this seems like the right thread to ask: WHY is Techstream required to flush/bleed brakes? I've done the same work on cars I've owned in the past and never needed any manufacturer specific software or tools.
Old 02-12-19, 07:53 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Because LS
Old 02-12-19, 02:15 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Because LS
I understand you gotta pay to play, but Techstream isn't pouring brake fluid into the master cylinder and isn't drawing the fluid or pumping the brakes.
Old 02-12-19, 03:05 PM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by NotFasty
I understand you gotta pay to play, but Techstream isn't pouring brake fluid into the master cylinder and isn't drawing the fluid or pumping the brakes.
well for the Rear techstream enables it to pump by just holding the brakes then once you open the bleeder you will hear the pump turning on and as soon as you close the bleeder the pump will stop . The idea is to displace all the old fluid out. Check the attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BRAKE OIL REPLACMENT.pdf (250.7 KB, 222 views)
File Type: pdf
BRAKE OIL PRECAUTION.pdf (208.1 KB, 168 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by ALK:
daddiojigg (02-16-21), Kuhan (08-19-19), NotFasty (02-13-19), tofuprod (02-12-19)
Old 08-19-19, 02:16 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

^Thanks for the PDF!

Did anyone use a Motive Bleeder? I want to get a Motive Bleeder but not sure which adapter would fit the LS proper. Any pointer would be great help!

I’m going to tackle this brake fluid change with Techstream.
Old 08-19-19, 02:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
^Thanks for the PDF!

Did anyone use a Motive Bleeder? I want to get a Motive Bleeder but not sure which adapter would fit the LS proper. Any pointer would be great help!

I’m going to tackle this brake fluid change with Techstream.
I've used the motive bleeder and had problems with it holding pressure with the cap that comes with it. I still managed to get the job done though. I purchased a different cap from suggestions on this forum and have not got around to using that yet. Recently I just purchased a suction bleeding device and will give that a try on the 400 since it's due for brakes.
Old 08-19-19, 02:44 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
I've used the motive bleeder and had problems with it holding pressure with the cap that comes with it. I still managed to get the job done though. I purchased a different cap from suggestions on this forum and have not got around to using that yet. Recently I just purchased a suction bleeding device and will give that a try on the 400 since it's due for brakes.
Are you referring to a similar one like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...der-92924.html

Old 08-20-19, 11:22 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Nope, I just ordered one from Amazon that attaches top the bleeder screw and sucks the fluids out by the vacuum method.
Old 08-20-19, 11:44 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

That one does the same method which is creating vacuum using air compressor. I’m going to stop by HF and see if they have one.
Old 09-26-19, 07:53 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALK
well for the Rear techstream enables it to pump by just holding the brakes then once you open the bleeder you will hear the pump turning on and as soon as you close the bleeder the pump will stop . The idea is to displace all the old fluid out. Check the attachment
Which direction did you go? Front left, front right, rear left, rear right? And does it have to be a 2-person job? Or can it be 1-person job with a vacuum bleeder?
Old 09-26-19, 08:37 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Which direction did you go? Front left, front right, rear left, rear right? And does it have to be a 2-person job? Or can it be 1-person job with a vacuum bleeder?
Definitely 2 person .

Quick Reply: Dont forget to replace the Brake Fluid