LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dont forget to replace the Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 05:54 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts
Exclamation Dont forget to replace the Brake Fluid

Hi I just want to mention the importance on replacing the brake fluid. It will make a big difference in terms of having more confidence when braking and feeling more safe. I did it with a friend using techstream to flush out the old brake fluid and replacing it with new .

Old brake fluid :

New Brake fluid :

The following users liked this post:
rogersmj (09-29-19)
Old 02-07-19, 07:03 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When did you do this flush and replace? Both miles and years?
Old 02-07-19, 07:18 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
When did you do this flush and replace? Both miles and years?
the old fluid has to be over 10 years old . Likely I don't do aggressive braking. Currently it 220,000 miles 07 LS460L

The international LS manual says it should replaced every 2 years. While the US manual there is no mention until specified(requested) by dealer.

Last edited by ALK; 02-07-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 07:21 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
The international LS manual says it should replaced every 2 years. While the US manual there is no mention.
I'd be willing to bet this is the source of our actuator woes. I had mine flushed and filled around 1.5 years back so it's coming up time to do it again.
Old 02-07-19, 07:22 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by 213374U
I'd be willing to bet this is the source of our actuator woes.
could be this affects the ABS module and actuator . Due to contamination and moisture .
Old 02-07-19, 08:11 AM
GenXY
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
I'd be willing to bet this is the source of our actuator woes. I had mine flushed and filled around 1.5 years back so it's coming up time to do it again.
This is interesting.. I was driving with badly pulsating brakes for several months and would get a loud actuator "squawk" almost every day. Since replacing all the rotors and pads with Centrics last month, I haven't heard a peep from the actuator. The fluid wasn't changed but the level in the reservoir did rise because of the new pads.
Old 02-07-19, 08:26 AM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with you 2133. There was a post from a guy a while back with actuator failure. He took the defective unit apart and came up with what looked to me like water contamination in one of the valves.

ALK - Congratulations on the successful bleed! It looks like a lot of work from what I've read. Where you able to access the bleeder screws on each caliper without removing the wheels? Or did you remove all the wheels and place on jack stands, or do one wheel at a time?
Old 02-07-19, 08:52 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Outofspec
I agree with you 2133. There was a post from a guy a while back with actuator failure. He took the defective unit apart and came up with what looked to me like water contamination in one of the valves.

ALK - Congratulations on the successful bleed! It looks like a lot of work from what I've read. Where you able to access the bleeder screws on each caliper without removing the wheels? Or did you remove all the wheels and place on jack stands, or do one wheel at a time?
since we took our time I would say it took us 3.5 hours. That includes removing wheels and put on jack stands once that's done . All is required to to bleed from the bleeder screw. For RR and RL I put AIR bleeder mode in techStream. Just holding the brake then opening bleeder to the pump turns on . Once rear are done. The front are done manual . All just be prepared by techstream. All while maintaining the fluid level.
Old 02-08-19, 09:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

FWIW, my local Toyota dealer does this service for around 100 bucks. Hardly worth the aggravation to DIY.
Old 02-08-19, 09:53 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadfrog
FWIW, my local Toyota dealer does this service for around 100 bucks. Hardly worth the aggravation to DIY.
Yes, but doing it DIY is much more satisfying . Also I have 2 other LS that need fluid change. My dealer does it for 250 that's including the fluid . while I did the whole thing for 28 bucks . Also don't forget that some Toyota and Lexus cars need Techstream to bleed and replace the fluid. While others can be done manually without software intervention .
Old 02-08-19, 11:47 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Ok to do a partial flush, i.e empty the fill reservoir and add fresh fluid? I've been doing that for years. The cars I've purchase usually have pretty clean brake fluid to begin with. I usually do it twice a year with oil changes
Old 02-08-19, 11:50 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Ok to do a partial flush, i.e empty the fill reservoir and add fresh fluid? I've been doing that for years. The cars I've purchase usually have pretty clean brake fluid to begin with. I usually do it twice a year with oil changes
well the idea is to change the fluid from master cylinder all the way to all brake calipers. I will upload the instructions later on.
Old 02-09-19, 08:07 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I did that on my C6 Corvette - I don't remember why, but the brake fluid in the vette would get very dirty/very quickly. I think the idea is that the normal 'motion' of the brake fluid would eventually help clear out the lines. Not a perfect substitute for a full drain and bleed, but still good.
The following users liked this post:
JLAWS (02-09-19)
Old 02-10-19, 01:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

That's the budget approach. Problem is, the old brake fluid remains at the business end of the system.
Old 02-10-19, 01:13 PM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by sktn77a
That's the budget approach. Problem is, the old brake fluid remains at the business end of the system.
exactly the idea is flush the old brake fluid out and replacing it with new fluid .

Quick Reply: Dont forget to replace the Brake Fluid