LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Market Value - 2012 LS460L AWD no Air 25K miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 11:50 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

and for reference I paid $16,000 and change for a 2010 with 68,500 miles on clock serviced every 5-7k at dealer

never hit,

they can be found be patient
Old 04-07-19, 06:55 PM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
@Vicqlo - Thanks for that data point, definitely helps to frame the value. The depreciation is quite amazing.

Update: I went to test drive the car tonight, hit traffic on my way from work so got there and it was already dark. So far as I can tell the interior is a 9/10. The rear seats look as though they were never sat in, the rear center glove box still had a piece of plastic tape with some markings on it on top of the wood trim. I think this is likely the original plastic covering from when the car was new! The side body panels, doors, seams, all looked straight, no dings, good paint, I think all original. The edges of the hood were not lining up height wise with the fenders on both sides. I also noticed some weirdness in the paint at a few locations around the grill, I suspect it was "touched up" but poorly done, was very hard to tell with the parking lot lights. Both fenders looked to have original paint, but again very tough to tell in that light.

Now the bad stuff. I noticed a moderate/severe chuggle at around 40-45mph with the torque converter locked up. In my experience this is either caused by the engine running rough under load at low rpm or by a transmission torque converter or solenoid control issue. I also noticed the brakes felt funny, like a delay in engagement and a little spongy. I believe the dealer did a brake job on the car and it may be they did not use OEM pads or that the pads are not seated, not sure. Lastly, I was informed that the entire touch screen/GPS/radio was replaced by the dealer. I found this confusing as there should be no reason to replace the unit on a car with only about 25k miles. It begs the question what happened to the original one that it had to be replaced? The steering also felt pretty heavy, even at low speeds, which I did not expect. The power assist was working just not as light a touch as I anticipated. I don't have prior experience with the LS460, but on the LS430, the steering is definitely lighter. It also felt like the car had some side to side "wobble" over bumps which made me think maybe something funky with the suspension was going on. The car tracked straight on smooth roads and did not have that odd swaying session as it did on the bumpy roads. I'd welcome feedback on all of this.

With respect to price, the sales rep was holding firm at the "internet price" which I told him was way too high for the current market and that if the price was not negotiable that we wouldn't be doing business. I was told to expect a call tomorrow from the sales manager, we will see what happens from there. Obviously, any mechanical issues would need to be evaluated and resolved and I would need to do a really good 3rd party inspection before agreeing to a purchase.
That 45 mph chuggle is bad motor mounts... crazy to imagine but mine went with 30k miles on my 2013. Only thing that has ever severely disappointed me with a Lexus product. Thank god for power train warranty.
Old 05-07-19, 12:04 PM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
I found a dealer who has a non-CPO LS460L AWD for sale with about 25k miles on it. It does have Levinson sound, heated rear seats and the sun shades on the rear window and side windows. It is not a sport edition, it does not have the air suspension, it does not have massaging rear seats. I'm not sure about the automatic cruise control. I've checked the VIN on the Lexus site and so far as I can tell this was a one owner vehicle that was not abused and was properly maintained by the dealer. The Autocheck does not show any accidents. I think it's very clean and looks great in the photos, I'll be seeing it in person this Tuesday. I would love to get some insight from the forum as to what a fair price would be for the car assuming it checks out?

I have seen the price of a 2013 model dropped to the high 20s ($ 27-29k) with a mileage of 60k. My experience is that the features loaded in the 2007-2012 can be quite predictable but not for those > 2013. My '15 LWB does not have heated rear seats; while it has ML and equipped with air suspension. The rear sunshade is a kind of standard in all LS in my opinion. As for the F-sport package, that is not my cup of tea. I don't like to idea of removing the wood trim component in the steering wheel. It seems Lexus has become more reluctant in the use of wood with time. This is the amount of wood trim for my cars: 2002 430 > 2010 460 > 2015 460L.

A fair purchase for a 2012 with < 70k miles is about $26k in my market. I would also be quite skeptical for any cars with extraordinary low mileage. If the dealer is asking for about $30k... you may want to consider a 2013 (I love the spindle grill idea!)

Request to test drive the LS at highway speed. If you don't like the wind noise, find another one.
The following users liked this post:
Vtallysx4 (05-07-19)