LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about wheels/rims and widths

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 11:35 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Question about wheels/rims and widths

Hi Guys,

I didn't want to drop a bunch of questions in the wheel and tire post because it has it's own purpose.

I cam across a set of rims that someone is selling used. The main issue I am concerned about is the width and offset and how it will sit on my car. I have a 2014 F sport with air suspension. I don't plan to modify the factory air at all.

They are a staggered 22 inch three piece Strasse Forge wheels.
  • http://strassewheels.com/product/t5-deep-concave/
  • The bolt pattern is 5X120
  • They came off a 2012 BMW 750i.
  • The front wheels are 22X10 inches wide and the rear are 22X11.
  • Tire size 295/25/22 and 265/30/22
  • Offset is not listed and currently unknown

Two questions I have:

1. I have to figure out the offset some how. I heard Strasse makes each set of wheels per customer and vehicle and don't give out the offsets like most manufacturers. Even the original owner is not given that number. I know getting the wrong offset can mess up the look quite a bit.Is offset something I should be worried about that much? It is not as if I am going from +50 to _45. I saw a picture of it on his car and he had a normal looking setup. Nothing sticking out or too far inside. It wasn't a stanced looking car.
2. My main question is will 10 inches up front and 11 in the back even fit? I have an FSport so I have the Brembo calipers up front. I saw most people have 9 inches and 10.5 inches. My goal is to not force them to fit and the car looks dumb. I wanted to know what I should expect with these sizes.

I know the best way to check would be to go down there and see if they actually fit. I was just wanting some info if right off the bat one of you knew that yes it will work, or nope , no chance, it will rub against something. Thanks so much for the help and reading this. I know it was a long post.

Some things I saw in the Wheel Spec thread, mostly members who had wheels 10 inches or larger up front or 11 inches or larger in the rear.

cheez80 on page 1 has 22X10 inch wide Range Rover wheels up front
telmz1 on page 4 has 22X11 on the back with fenders shaved and rolled.
Grouchy on page 4 has 22X11 on the back, he mentions some fitment issues
broken_tsi on page 5 has 22X10.5 and 22X12, but I didn't see any pictures.
tucin20s on page 5 has 22X11.5 on the rear! How did you make this work?
AznRacer on page 5 has 22X11 on the rear. Fenders were modified.
Talidtb pm page 7 has a square setup of 22X10, has modified fenders
Streetcar1 on page 8 has 22X11 on the back
Old 02-21-19, 11:55 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

10 front you can run into some issues if your offsets are too high with control arms. 11 wide rear, you have way more flexibility. There is a youtube video on how you can measure offset once you have wheel.

I know you don't want folks to reference the wheel and tire thread, but some of those folks state exactly what they have and how they made it fit, or if mods were needed to the fender. But not knowing the offset and you could really be rolling the dice. I'd mostly be concerned about the fronts. But if they have super low offsets, you will be needing to pull out your fenders to get them to sit inside. If they are too high offset, you'll be dealing with suspension issues. BMW 7 series has lower offset than us for most of their after market wheels. For example, a 22 inch aftermarket wheel front on a 7 series is usually 15 to 20mm whereas for a 460 it is 30mm...meaning more sucked into fender. But a 20mm offset with 9 inch wheel works for the 460. Bottom line, offset is everything. Without knowing, you are rolling the dice. My opinion, based on this coming off a 7 series, they will poke out of your fenders on a 460
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (02-23-19)
Old 02-21-19, 02:29 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Thanks for the informative reply.

When you say "offsets too high" do you mean too high like +45, or too high -45. Later you said super low , what is an example of low? Understanding offsets give me a headache. Millimeters seem so small in the grand scheme of things but I get how a mm here and an mm there makes for a big mess.

I have no problem with people referencing the wheel and tire thread, I just didn't want to post my question there since it is more of a showcase thread then an ask people tons of questions posting. I actually linked to different posts there that were helpful. The first post in there had some guild lines and I was trying to stick to that.

I also saw a different set of used rims by Vossen. 22X9, et15, and rears are 22X10.5 with et 20. How does that compare to everyone else getting their vossen rims with an offset of et35? So they will stick out more but only 2 milimeters right? That seems minuscule.
Old 02-22-19, 07:02 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Answers embedded:

When you say "offsets too high" do you mean too high like +45, or too high -45. Later you said super low , what is an example of low? Understanding offsets give me a headache. Millimeters seem so small in the grand scheme of things but I get how a mm here and an mm there makes for a big mess.

The higher the offset number 35, 40 etc, the more "sucked into the fender" they will be and pose an issue with getting really close to control arms. The lower the offset number 15, 20 etc will be poked out of the fender. As far as too high of an offset, I had this issue running a 265/30/22 tire on a 35mm offset. Safe offset for 22s on the LS are 20 to 30 upfront, 35 to 40 rear. Vossen updated their LS fitment for most of their standard staggered packages which are now 22x9 30mm front and 22x10.5 38mm rear. With their many of their wheel line up now, you can request custom offsets within a set range they provide based on width.

I have no problem with people referencing the wheel and tire thread, I just didn't want to post my question there since it is more of a showcase thread then an ask people tons of questions posting. I actually linked to different posts there that were helpful. The first post in there had some guild lines and I was trying to stick to that.

That makes perfect sense and it is appreciated!

I also saw a different set of used rims by Vossen. 22X9, et15, and rears are 22X10.5 with et 20. How does that compare to everyone else getting their vossen rims with an offset of et35? So they will stick out more but only 2 milimeters right? That seems minuscule.

So, that Vossen setup you are referencing is designed for the BMW 7 series specifically. As the 7 series has more aggressive (lower) offset. The front wheels on that setup will stick out a little and the rears will stick out and rub for sure on an LS. My rear 10.5 wide Vossens rubbed at 38 offset with hard bumps and while driving a little lower. As far as minor differences with offset, going with a 30mm offset vs 35mm offset made the difference for me up front running a 265. It may not seem like a lot, but it does matter. I am hoping those wheels you are wanting will work out for you, but chances are they will be aggressive for the LS without some fender modification but it can be done.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-22-19 at 07:08 PM.
bigsherv (02-23-19)
Old 02-23-19, 06:32 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but the hub openings on a BMW is bigger than the LS460 so you'll need hub rings (to avoid possible vibrations). I've tried on some BMW wheels (HRE) from a 7 series before for my older LS460 and while rears fit (my fenders were shaved) the front wheels didn't clear my brakes and I didn't want to deal with spacers.
bigsherv (02-23-19)
Old 02-23-19, 04:02 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

The gentleman selling the Vossen set said it took it off of his classic/show car. Was an early 80's"G-body" Malibu. He did a drop on it and he had to get new rims. He said he had them on a recent Camaro also.

What I have gotten from your comments is to find a set that is 22X9 et30 and 22x10.5 et38. What offsets do I avoid on both ends of the spectrum? What will stick out and rub the fender/fender liner and what is too high that it will have problems with clearing the breaks.

If a wheel has too high of an offset like +45 spacers could be used but I know they are not encouraged by all. Too low of an offset, there is no work around correct? Just a whole bunch of rubbing.

CJITTY, your responses have been very helpful have now I understand how offset works. Thanks for taking the time to clear all this up for me.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Answers embedded:

So, that Vossen setup you are referencing is designed for the BMW 7 series specifically. As the 7 series has more aggressive (lower) offset. The front wheels on that setup will stick out a little and the rears will stick out and rub for sure on an LS. My rear 10.5 wide Vossens rubbed at 38 offset with hard bumps and while driving a little lower. As far as minor differences with offset, going with a 30mm offset vs 35mm offset made the difference for me up front running a 265. It may not seem like a lot, but it does matter. I am hoping those wheels you are wanting will work out for you, but chances are they will be aggressive for the LS without some fender modification but it can be done.
Old 02-23-19, 04:57 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

This is extremely important and glad it was brought up by telmz1. They make the BMW to Lexus (60.1mm inner) hub rings and sell them on Amazon by the dozens for super cheap.

Originally Posted by telmz1
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but the hub openings on a BMW is bigger than the LS460 so you'll need hub rings (to avoid possible vibrations). I've tried on some BMW wheels (HRE) from a 7 series before for my older LS460 and while rears fit (my fenders were shaved) the front wheels didn't clear my brakes and I didn't want to deal with spacers.
Old 02-23-19, 05:09 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

That configuration will work out of the box with no issues, I have run 2 sets of Vossens with that and zero issues. In fact, I wish the front was more like 22-25 offset to sit a little more closer to the outer edge. I am on oem 19s at the moment as I am in between wheels, but I run a 20mm spacer on my rear 19s to effectively make my 32 offset a 12mm offset and it sits perfect. But then again, it's 19x8. Spacers if used correctly aren't an issue in my opinion. I ran them on my LS600 for a couple years and on road trips. They must be properly torqued and retorqued within 25 miles of installation. I torqued mine the same as oem wheels at 103 ft lbs. I use the hubcentric bolt on type. There are some folks with cars that they race with spacers on them, but those usually have the longer stud type through the hub which I feel are probably a little more solid. A 20mm spacer on a 45mm offset wheel would bring that too 25mm..and ideal offset for fronts, but not sure exactly about a 10 inch wide. Use the "Will They Fit" website and play around with the numbers. https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Originally Posted by bigsherv
The gentleman selling the Vossen set said it took it off of his classic/show car. Was an early 80's"G-body" Malibu. He did a drop on it and he had to get new rims. He said he had them on a recent Camaro also.

What I have gotten from your comments is to find a set that is 22X9 et30 and 22x10.5 et38. What offsets do I avoid on both ends of the spectrum? What will stick out and rub the fender/fender liner and what is too high that it will have problems with clearing the breaks.

If a wheel has too high of an offset like +45 spacers could be used but I know they are not encouraged by all. Too low of an offset, there is no work around correct? Just a whole bunch of rubbing.

CJITTY, your responses have been very helpful have now I understand how offset works. Thanks for taking the time to clear all this up for me.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-23-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 06:08 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

But offsets of +15 (22X9) up front and +20 (22X10.5) in rear won't work, correct. From what you wrote it seems like you think it will rub. If the guy lived in the same city as me I would just go over there but he is a few hours away.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
That configuration will work out of the box with no issues, I have run 2 sets of Vossens with that and zero issues. In fact, I wish the front was more like 22-25 offset to sit a little more closer to the outer edge. I am on oem 19s at the moment as I am in between wheels, but I run a 20mm spacer on my rear 19s to effectively make my 32 offset a 12mm offset and it sits perfect. But then again, it's 19x8. Spacers if used correctly aren't an issue in my opinion. I ran them on my LS600 for a couple years and on road trips. They must be properly torqued and retorqued within 25 miles of installation. I torqued mine the same as oem wheels at 103 ft lbs. I use the hubcentric bolt on type. There are some folks with cars that they race with spacers on them, but those usually have the longer stud type through the hub which I feel are probably a little more solid. A 20mm spacer on a 45mm offset wheel would bring that too 25mm..and ideal offset for fronts, but not sure exactly about a 10 inch wide. Use the "Will They Fit" website and play around with the numbers. https://www.willtheyfit.com/