LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

In a pinch some laundry detergent will do - clean your leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 07:04 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts
Default In a pinch some laundry detergent will do - clean your leather

so it’s cold here and being in Ukraine I have not gotten around to importing the stuff I need to do a proper detail of my leather and interior. When there was a break in the weather I decided to give the leather a proper wipe down. I forgot to take pics of the seats but will do it later.

My leather was a bit shiny. Wiping them down did nothing.,I was a bit tired of it.

I use a brand of sensitive washing detergent figure it is kinda like woolite, result = it works just fine would have worked much better if I had an unused horse or boars hair brush.

3 micro fiber towels: Warm water a bit of woolite or similar, soak, wring, wipe and wipe off with warm wet towel and wipe dry with another. The disgusting shine is gone, it’s not mat like you see in car detailing photos but close enough for now. I finished off with aerospace 303 which leaves a tiny bit of shine, I’ll try something else next time but for now. I know the leather is clean enough for the time being.
Old 02-27-19, 03:50 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

yes, I use woolite on my leather as a cleaner

Professionals use it as well as some car dealers

I use 303 also but I find its overrated, I prefer Meguiars VLR
Old 02-27-19, 04:41 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yes, I use woolite on my leather as a cleaner

Professionals use it as well as some car dealers

I use 303 also but I find its overrated, I prefer Meguiars VLR
good to know, what kind of finish does VLR give? I tend to not like meguairs products personally.
Old 02-27-19, 06:38 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

A moist microfiber cloth is all you need to clean the seats. Use woolite diluted 1:10 for stubborn dirt or stains. Most of the other products don't really do anything. The seats have a light clearcoat that is sprayed on and those products will not penetrate it. Also don't rub the seats vigorously with a microfiber cloth as it can be rather abrasive to the delicate clearcoat and leather.

I got this advice from a person who restores the leather for all certified used cars for a Lexus dealer here in Orlando.
The following 3 users liked this post by nsaldanh:
alittleste (11-05-22), damon (02-27-19), NotFasty (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 09:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca

good to know, what kind of finish does VLR give? I tend to not like meguairs products personally.
I use both but FAR prefer 303. The problem with VLR, is that it is NOT for plastic (read the warning label). That concerns me, as inevitibly you end up overspraying onto the center console, etc. With 303, you can use it on EVERYTHING. Plus it leaves a UV protection.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 09:40 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I use both but FAR prefer 303. The problem with VLR, is that it is NOT for plastic (read the warning label). That concerns me, as inevitibly you end up overspraying onto the center console, etc. With 303, you can use it on EVERYTHING. Plus it leaves a UV protection.
isnt vinyl plastic though? When you say plastic do you mean the gloss clear plastics ? I wonder if mothers vlr is any different.

Thing with 303 it’s more of a protector and not cleaner, I’m always trying to experiment with some new stuff lol
Old 02-27-19, 11:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

isnt vinyl plastic though? When you say plastic do you mean the gloss clear plastics ? I wonder if mothers vlr is any different.

Thing with 303 it’s more of a protector and not cleaner, I’m always trying to experiment with some new stuff lol

Depends what you mean by "cleaning". I mean, WATER cleans. No, it's not an HD detergent/degreaser, It does however, recondition and protect. As for the VLR, yeah you're right on, it's fine for vinyl, but not for hard plastics. When I use it, I am very careful where and how I apply it. Seems like a major oversight on Mothers for creating this product for car interiors, while cautioning against using it on plastic. Kinda like making a wheel cleaner that is harmful to tires.I won;t buy it again. I told my son and his friends that they could use it on their cars.

And boy do I know what you mean about trying new stuff. I have way too many car care products in my garage. Everytime I see all the stuff I have, I keep telling myself "enough already". I'm a sucker for things like that.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-27-19 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-27-19, 01:56 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Depends what you mean by "cleaning". I mean, WATER cleans. No, it's not an HD detergent/degreaser, It does however, recondition and protect. As for the VLR, yeah you're right on, it's fine for vinyl, but not for hard plastics. When I use it, I am very careful where and how I apply it. Seems like a major oversight on Mothers for creating this product for car interiors, while cautioning against using it on plastic. Kinda like making a wheel cleaner that is harmful to tires.I won;t buy it again. I told my son and his friends that they could use it on their cars.

And boy do I know what you mean about trying new stuff. I have way too many car care products in my garage. Everytime I see all the stuff I have, I keep telling myself "enough already". I'm a sucker for things like that.
Hey Chris. Glad you're still watching over us around here. I'm always thinking about when I was just getting my first LS460L and I followed every post you made because I always learned something new I didn't know. Again, thanks for always helping me and the other guys and girls. Props to you Sir.
The following users liked this post:
roadfrog (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 04:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Hey Chris. Glad you're still watching over us around here. I'm always thinking about when I was just getting my first LS460L and I followed every post you made because I always learned something new I didn't know. Again, thanks for always helping me and the other guys and girls. Props to you Sir.
Thank you! To be honest, I miss the folks here. The SHO forum is terribly boring. Far more active and interesting here at CL. I literally spend more time time here than there.
Old 02-27-19, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Woolite is a fine cleaner.

Best leather cleaner I've ever used though is Swissvax,
Old 02-27-19, 07:42 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Woolite is a fine cleaner.

Best leather cleaner I've ever used though is Swissvax,

really eh? What else have you tried? Why do you like it? Is it matte?
Old 03-01-19, 07:14 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

It gives a nice matte , but very smooth finish , has a decent smell as well

It does say clearly that its not designed for plastics, but I tested it on plastics and it has no ill effects , at least from what I can see. I actually use it on my dash, console and pretty much everywhere to be honest.

Im in Canada so I had to pay an exchange rate plus shipping and taxes/duties so lets just say my cost for a gallon of 303 is probably 2-3 times what people in the states pay, so I was quite underwhelmed with it probably because I paid so much.

Not to knock it, I still use it but I bet if you check the MSDS tech info for 303, it would basically be water mixed with suntan lotion (for uv protection) , that's how it looks and feels to me.

Old 03-01-19, 08:29 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
It gives a nice matte , but very smooth finish , has a decent smell as well

It does say clearly that its not designed for plastics, but I tested it on plastics and it has no ill effects , at least from what I can see. I actually use it on my dash, console and pretty much everywhere to be honest.

Im in Canada so I had to pay an exchange rate plus shipping and taxes/duties so lets just say my cost for a gallon of 303 is probably 2-3 times what people in the states pay, so I was quite underwhelmed with it probably because I paid so much.

Not to knock it, I still use it but I bet if you check the MSDS tech info for 303, it would basically be water mixed with suntan lotion (for uv protection) , that's how it looks and feels to me.
i know the feeling I’m Canadian but don’t live there anymore I just bring stuff back in the car have it all shipped to mailboxes etc across the border spend a few minutes unpacking everything putting them in bags and making it look like it’s been there a bit and smuggle all the stuff back...I ain’t paying the man.

good to know about the swissvax I’ll try
Old 03-01-19, 03:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

i know the feeling I’m Canadian but don’t live there anymore I just bring stuff back in the car have it all shipped to mailboxes etc across the border spend a few minutes unpacking everything putting them in bags and making it look like it’s been there a bit and smuggle all the stuff back...I ain’t paying the man.

good to know about the swissvax I’ll try
lol nice , that's a good tactic

The man doesn't deserve a dime
Old 03-02-19, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

I've used a WIDE variety of things, Woolite, Lexol, Zymol, Zaino, Chemical Guys, Blackfire, on and on and on, this is my favorite. Its extremely matte which is why I like it.

Quick Reply: In a pinch some laundry detergent will do - clean your leather