LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2015 LS460 craft line: How is the suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 05:49 PM
zhaoyi2333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2015 LS460 craft line: How is the suspension?

I am considering to purchase a 2015 LS460 base model but I cannot find one equipped with air suspension which could deliver a softer ride. I am confused about craft line model with "sport tuned air suspension" --- Is that as comfortable as the one on ls600 (in comfort mode)? I never use sport mode and I just hope that "sport tuned air suspension" could help on comfortability. If the comfort mode is not much difference between craft line and base model(without air suspension) then I will go with base model. Anyone who has driven craft line model before?
Old 03-08-19, 06:23 PM
zhaoyi2333
Driver School Candidate

Oh I thought aggressive damping is only for sport mode...... Thanks for your suggestion.
BTW, why most people didn't choose air suspension on LS460? That's really a huge difference. This option cost $2000 but people would rather choose 19' wheel for this price...
Old 03-08-19, 07:01 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I have the 2015 Crafted AWD F-Sport, which has the air suspension. I don't know if the air suspension is any different--it's not what I would call sporty though. I do like the air suspension because I can firm it up with Sport or S-Sport when I'm in the mood, as well as raise the whole car up for deep snow and whatnot. I usually drive it around in Normal mode, but I did try comfort mode for a day or two last week and it does soften it up even more.
Old 03-08-19, 07:52 PM
zhaoyi2333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DerrickM
I have the 2015 Crafted AWD F-Sport, which has the air suspension. I don't know if the air suspension is any different--it's not what I would call sporty though. I do like the air suspension because I can firm it up with Sport or S-Sport when I'm in the mood, as well as raise the whole car up for deep snow and whatnot. I usually drive it around in Normal mode, but I did try comfort mode for a day or two last week and it does soften it up even more.
Thanks for sharing! It's really hard to make a LS f drives like IS. It's over 4500 lbs and the wheel base is almost 3 meters long
Old 03-09-19, 02:00 AM
Kee318
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Crafted line is the same as the regular F Sport. The only difference is the blacked-out handles, blacked out side mirrors, two tone interior and floor mats. It's the same suspensions setup like the F Sport. One of my air suspension on my 2013 went out at 70k. Luckily I found a guy on eBay who was selling a whole set for a thousand. He took it off from his 2015 and went with air Runner. His car has 10k on it. I installed his set and took mine off.

Last edited by Kee318; 03-09-19 at 02:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zhaoyi2333 (03-14-19)
Old 03-09-19, 06:28 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kee318
Crafted line is the same as the regular F Sport. The only difference is the blacked-out handles, blacked out side mirrors, two tone interior and floor mats. It's the same suspensions setup like the F Sport. One of my air suspension on my 2013 went out at 70k. Luckily I found a guy on eBay who was selling a whole set for a thousand. He took it off from his 2015 and went with air Runner. His car has 10k on it. I installed his set and took mine off.
just curious, you didn't have an extended warranty that would have covered that?
Old 03-09-19, 08:10 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

My '08 L was a sport suspension (air) set up. It was quite nice, and IMO, just about perfect for my liking...though there were times I thought it should be a little less aggressive. I keep my cars on soft all the time, unless I know there are pavement imperfections where I can use the 'sport' setting to keep everything under control. And, yes, you can switch the suspension mid-freeway heave or bridge transition to control how it comes back down (or up). Reponse time on the struts is less than a tenth of a second, I've played with the actuators and watched them move as the setting change. It's remarkably quick, though they don't have to spin much to make a large change.

My '12, however, is regular air. It's softer and more mellow, but not horribly so. I'm sorely tempted to replace the regular air suspension computer and replace it with a sport computer. The dampers are the same, it's just how they behave is changed. Both cars have 19" wheels on them, though tires are different...for now.

Oh, and trust me, at full-on firm damping, you'd be shocked at how rough one of these can ride. It's S-class AMG-unpleasant for a daily driver. Mine was like that for the first 8 months, or so, after I bought it because I didn't know there was a loose connector for the RR strut. This makes the system default to full-strength damping all the time.

BTW, every time you come to a stop, the actuators turn all four struts to full firmness.

The LS 460, especially the "L", which both of mine have been/are, is a proper land yacht. It shouldn't ride like a two-person personal watercraft. At the same time, I want to be able to tighten things up considerably, because even a yacht can be hustled on back roads, and be enjoyable, if you have the proper expectations.

IMO, with adjustable suspension, the owner should be able to change it to how they want it, be that super-marshmallow soft or rock hard...to the suspension's limits, naturally.
zhaoyi2333 (03-14-19)
Old 03-09-19, 11:14 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
My '08 L was a sport suspension (air) set up. It was quite nice, and IMO, just about perfect for my liking...though there were times I thought it should be a little less aggressive. I keep my cars on soft all the time, unless I know there are pavement imperfections where I can use the 'sport' setting to keep everything under control. And, yes, you can switch the suspension mid-freeway heave or bridge transition to control how it comes back down (or up). Reponse time on the struts is less than a tenth of a second, I've played with the actuators and watched them move as the setting change. It's remarkably quick, though they don't have to spin much to make a large change.

My '12, however, is regular air. It's softer and more mellow, but not horribly so. I'm sorely tempted to replace the regular air suspension computer and replace it with a sport computer. The dampers are the same, it's just how they behave is changed. Both cars have 19" wheels on them, though tires are different...for now.

Oh, and trust me, at full-on firm damping, you'd be shocked at how rough one of these can ride. It's S-class AMG-unpleasant for a daily driver. Mine was like that for the first 8 months, or so, after I bought it because I didn't know there was a loose connector for the RR strut. This makes the system default to full-strength damping all the time.

BTW, every time you come to a stop, the actuators turn all four struts to full firmness.

The LS 460, especially the "L", which both of mine have been/are, is a proper land yacht. It shouldn't ride like a two-person personal watercraft. At the same time, I want to be able to tighten things up considerably, because even a yacht can be hustled on back roads, and be enjoyable, if you have the proper expectations.

IMO, with adjustable suspension, the owner should be able to change it to how they want it, be that super-marshmallow soft or rock hard...to the suspension's limits, naturally.
i was gonna ask because I think you or someone else had mentioned that only the computer is different before this.

Is this this the part you were looking at?

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...pension,,89293
Old 03-10-19, 04:51 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, that's it.

Search for a used one, it'll be less than $100. Unfortunately, the replacement I bought was a 'comfort' one, not sport, so it's the same as the one I have.

Had I know I was going to get another air-suspension LS, I'd have swapped them out before my car went to salvage.
Old 03-10-19, 06:15 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Yep, that's it.

Search for a used one, it'll be less than $100. Unfortunately, the replacement I bought was a 'comfort' one, not sport, so it's the same as the one I have.

Had I know I was going to get another air-suspension LS, I'd have swapped them out before my car went to salvage.
only a hundred wow they go for about 3 here, how did you end up with the wrong one did they misrepresent part numbers or? So I can avoid the same problem
Old 03-10-19, 07:22 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

It was my fault. I had yet to look at mine before buying it, got the wrong one, at least for that car (sport). Now that I have a comfort one, I want the sport one to compare back-to-back on the exact same car.

I've found them for about $125, prices have gone up a bit. I think I paid $85 for mine. I've had it hooked up, no codes/problems, so I know it's good.

I need to look and see if the 2015 has the same computer...probably is, but y'never know...then see if zhaoyi2333 would trade me, even-steven. We both win!

edit: I think they're different because of the refresh in '13...different part number (don't know if the connectors are the same or not, yet). Bummer. The problem too is there's an assumption 19" wheels means it's the sport computer, which is not necessarily the case. Purple label = comfort Green = sport At least this is on the the v4.0 and v4.1 cars. Not the v4.2 cars, however. Of course, the H cars have yet a different part number. /facepalm

edit 2: Check that...the connectors are the same...I think they're interchangeable. Woot!!!!

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-10-19 at 07:35 PM.
zhaoyi2333 (03-14-19)
Old 03-10-19, 09:11 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

It was my fault. I had yet to look at mine before buying it, got the wrong one, at least for that car (sport). Now that I have a comfort one, I want the sport one to compare back-to-back on the exact same car.

I've found them for about $125, prices have gone up a bit. I think I paid $85 for mine. I've had it hooked up, no codes/problems, so I know it's good.

I need to look and see if the 2015 has the same computer...probably is, but y'never know...then see if zhaoyi2333 would trade me, even-steven. We both win!

edit: I think they're different because of the refresh in '13...different part number (don't know if the connectors are the same or not, yet). Bummer. The problem too is there's an assumption 19" wheels means it's the sport computer, which is not necessarily the case. Purple label = comfort Green = sport At least this is on the the v4.0 and v4.1 cars. Not the v4.2 cars, however. Of course, the H cars have yet a different part number. /facepalm

edit 2: Check that...the connectors are the same...I think they're interchangeable. Woot!!!!
let me know how it goes. The ones here are too expensive I’ll probably buy one from the US where are you looking? eBay?

btw where is this module located? Thanks
Old 03-11-19, 02:23 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

car-part.com

It's behind the glove box...like, the glove box must be removed to get to it. Not a huge deal, once you've done it a time or two. I'll post a pic of exactly where it is because I was in there just two days ago.
Old 03-11-19, 01:53 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

car-part.com

It's behind the glove box...like, the glove box must be removed to get to it. Not a huge deal, once you've done it a time or two. I'll post a pic of exactly where it is because I was in there just two days ago.
thanks man appreciate it
Old 03-14-19, 03:29 PM
zhaoyi2333
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your great idea and information! That craft-line is sold when I was hesitating (damn it!)
I would probably get a regular LS460 (w/o air suspension) at the end of this month, or a craft-line if there is a new one post on sale in my area, hopefully!
And would you recommend an extended warranty for ls460? This is a 2014 LS460 base model, with 40000 miles on it. Everything done in local Lexus and there is no accident/repair. The price would be $2500/2 year or $4000/4 year (quite a lot). Really a lot and I am hesitating again!

Quick Reply: 2015 LS460 craft line: How is the suspension?