LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 01:07 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright folks. I installed the used rack and I now have power steering and all VSC/VGRS codes are gone! Unfortunately, I have a new problem in that my steering wheel is turned 90 degrees while i'm driving straight.
It does drive straight, however. I had to rotate the column shaft in order to align it with the bolt 'cut out' on it - hope that made sense. I'm not sure if an alignment can correct my steering wheel that much. I did the 2-3 calibration procedures I found using techstream and no dice. I hope I don't have to remove the steering wheel to realign it, but looks like I may have to.
Old 03-29-19, 01:34 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by terminater
Alright folks. I installed the used rack and I now have power steering and all VSC/VGRS codes are gone! Unfortunately, I have a new problem in that my steering wheel is turned 90 degrees while i'm driving straight.
It does drive straight, however. I had to rotate the column shaft in order to align it with the bolt 'cut out' on it - hope that made sense. I'm not sure if an alignment can correct my steering wheel that much. I did the 2-3 calibration procedures I found using techstream and no dice. I hope I don't have to remove the steering wheel to realign it, but looks like I may have to.
Look at this thread. It might give you some insight. Good luck.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-please-2.html
Old 03-29-19, 10:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

hey buddy

I may have some info for you

I just had the same problem with my 2008 having the steering 45-90 degrees to the right when driving straight , during this time it was throwing vgrs codes

for me it was caused by bad control arms that screwed up the alignment , after the new control arm bushings were installed it stil was off centre by a lot

I went in for an alignment and it completely fixed the problem

I would check your control arms and alignment before you do anything crazy
Old 03-30-19, 07:20 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

i read about it somewhere on here sounds like a similar issue
Old 03-30-19, 09:15 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
hey buddy

I may have some info for you

I just had the same problem with my 2008 having the steering 45-90 degrees to the right when driving straight , during this time it was throwing vgrs codes

for me it was caused by bad control arms that screwed up the alignment , after the new control arm bushings were installed it stil was off centre by a lot

I went in for an alignment and it completely fixed the problem

I would check your control arms and alignment before you do anything crazy
Thanks for the info. My right wheel is definitely turned outward some. I think my control arms are in decent shape. I actually went and got new Michelin’s put on the car today, but the main alignment guy had gone for the day so I’m returning on Monday to get it done. I hope that fixes it!
Old 04-01-19, 01:17 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

I took my car in for an alignment after buying new tires on Saturday. 6 (!!!!) hours later, I left and the steering is still off center, but not as bad. I think I may have to remove the steering wheel to fully center it. I'm not looking forward to that.
Old 04-01-19, 02:09 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I took my car in for an alignment after buying new tires on Saturday. 6 (!!!!) hours later, I left and the steering is still off center, but not as bad. I think I may have to remove the steering wheel to fully center it. I'm not looking forward to that.
you need to do a google search on that problem I remember reading about it as a known problem but I don’t know if it was on your year.

https://www.autotalk.com/lexus-ls-st...all-faqs-4510/
Old 08-11-19, 11:22 AM
Akbasch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one rack is with air suspension and one with out
Old 08-11-19, 03:37 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Akbasch
one rack is with air suspension and one with out