LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 12:44 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default power steering failure

Hello guys! I hope someone can help me. I bought a 2007 LS460L with 102k miles at auction recently. It was listed as having “undercarriage damage”. Unfortunately the power steering does not work. I can barely turn the steering wheel 1-2” and that’s all. The wheels don’t turn at all. If I jiggle the steering wheel when cranking it, I do get more play, but not much. I found the codes in the pictures using Techstream. I don’t know if I should replace the steering ECU or the rack. I’m leaning towards replacing the rack. Can anyone provide me with those instructions? Perhaps pictures of the service manual for that procedure?
For what it’s worth, the rack itself appears unscuffed/undamaged. I’ve unplugged, cleaned and reinstalled all the connections and nothing.

Codes:
C1289
C1304
U0131

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-11-19, 08:46 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Well, the lack of responses is somewhat reassuring. I guess not many have had an issue with their power steering. Perhaps the accident is what caused my power steering to go out. I’ve ordered a salvage rack with 134k miles and will replace it.
Old 03-11-19, 09:49 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by terminater
Well, the lack of responses is somewhat reassuring. I guess not many have had an issue with their power steering. Perhaps the accident is what caused my power steering to go out. I’ve ordered a salvage rack with 134k miles and will replace it.
how much was that ?
Old 03-12-19, 09:19 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdanielca

how much was that ?
I paid $600 shipped for the rack. It's arriving today via UPS. I'll report back once it's installed and the results.
Old 03-12-19, 09:32 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

I paid $600 shipped for the rack. It's arriving today via UPS. I'll report back once it's installed and the results.
a proper refurb one wouldn’t have cost much more why didn’t you go that route?
Old 03-12-19, 09:51 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

a proper refurb one wouldn’t have cost much more why didn’t you go that route?
Because I could not locate the first refurb rack anywhere.
Old 03-13-19, 08:19 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Because I could not locate the first refurb rack anywhere.
that sucks oh well we gotta work with what we can find
Old 03-13-19, 10:32 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Old 03-13-19, 10:37 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Does the steering have it’s own ecu?
Old 03-13-19, 01:49 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Yeah, I found that one too. Unfortunately, every time I added my shipping address in the check out a pop up stated it was out of stock. I emailed Rock auto, but all I got was a canned response. Thanks anyway!
Yes, the power steering system has it's own ECU. It's easily accessible under the right engine cover.

Old 03-18-19, 08:19 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Default Quick update

So I received the used steering rack and removed my old one this weekend. Unfortunately, they did not match! After some research, I found out I have a Sport Suspension. I always saw the filter when searching for racks ask if I had a Sport suspension but I never gave it much thought as my car doesn’t have a badge anywhere stating that. To this hour, I still haven’t found anything suggesting what a Sport suspension package is, at least not on a 2007 LS460L. See below picture for the part comparison. My rack is on the right. It has a larger piece that sticks out and extra harness pieces. I hope I save anyone else the trouble in the future.

The following 3 users liked this post by terminater:
Grandpa (03-21-19), sha4000 (03-21-19), tlk2megoos (04-03-19)
Old 03-19-19, 11:09 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

So I received the used steering rack and removed my old one this weekend. Unfortunately, they did not match! After some research, I found out I have a Sport Suspension. I always saw the filter when searching for racks ask if I had a Sport suspension but I never gave it much thought as my car doesn’t have a badge anywhere stating that. To this hour, I still haven’t found anything suggesting what a Sport suspension package is, at least not on a 2007 LS460L. See below picture for the part comparison. My rack is on the right. It has a larger piece that sticks out and extra harness pieces. I hope I save anyone else the trouble in the future.

before you do further work create an account on Lexus drivers website enter your vin check out what options you actually have
Old 03-19-19, 12:48 PM
Philmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering failure

mine went out this weekend on a 09 LS with 297,000 miles. The dealership wants over 5 grand for the rack. Can you recommend some good links so i can get salvaged like you? I'm not a mechanicso I'll find a good one to replace the parts. The car was running beautiful and the lights came on all of a sudden.
Old 03-20-19, 06:55 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Philmac
mine went out this weekend on a 09 LS with 297,000 miles. The dealership wants over 5 grand for the rack. Can you recommend some good links so i can get salvaged like you? I'm not a mechanicso I'll find a good one to replace the parts. The car was running beautiful and the lights came on all of a sudden.
Love the high miles. What major maintenance have you had done? How did the rack go out? Just suddenly and with no warning? Was it making grinding noises?

You can search many salvage yards at once using car-part.com.
Old 03-29-19, 01:04 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Philmac
You can search many salvage yards at once on this site. That's where I got my part from. car-part.com. Good luck!

Quick Reply: power steering failure