LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Low Freq hum / VSC Light Waring

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 12:36 AM
spaseman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Low Freq hum / VSC Light Waring

I have a 2008 LS 460. At about 40 - 50 miles, I get a low frequency vibration ( feels / sounds like its coming from the right side front / rear tires, maybe ? ), as if I was driving over rumble strips, or driving over those grooves on the shoulder or center line of the road, it lasts for a few seconds, then it goes away. ( Doesn't happen all the time ) In addition, my VSC warning light, the info ( triangle ) light, and the check engine light will sometimes come on. ( the display will say VSC Sys. Have dealer check VSC system ( seems to mostly happen when it rains ) ) The warning / idiot lights will stay on for a couple of days, then go off / disappear. I've taken it to Lexus to have the code(s) checked, but they find no codes, no past codes, and no codes in the history. Bearings aren't bad, car is in alignment . New tires.

Is there a sensor on or near the tires that send information to the VSC module that will trigger the idiot lights if that sensor starts / is starting to go bad?

Has anyone experienced this phenomena ?

Am I assuming its the VSC system, and its really not ?

Thanks

- Joey

Last edited by spaseman; 03-29-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 05:46 AM
Overlander
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor or wheel speed sensor cable harness is bad. I’ve had this happen to me several times on higher mileage cars. The humming would then be the vehicle engaging the skid control braking at driving speeds, if it’s one of the items I spoke of above. I just had Toyota replace the harness on my Sequoia three weeks ago for this. Same “humming” sounds from my car as well. You could feel the skid control or anti lock braking engaging, even at 50-60 mph. It was like a slight vibration at the steering wheel and noisy. It would only last for a few seconds and go away. It would come back randomly while driving.
Old 03-28-19, 08:27 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I have similar issues with the light a computer check showed the ecu is not getting a speed read out from the front passenger side sensor. But I have yet to determine if it’s the sensor (only sold together with the hub) or the wire.
Old 03-29-19, 08:21 AM
spaseman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Thats exactly what I've been experiencing . I take it the " humming" / vibration ( probably more appropriate term ) went away when you replaced the sensor cable harness? I will look into this immediately and see if the resolves my vibration
Old 03-29-19, 01:54 PM
Overlander
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spaseman
Thanks. Thats exactly what I've been experiencing . I take it the " humming" / vibration ( probably more appropriate term ) went away when you replaced the sensor cable harness? I will look into this immediately and see if the resolves my vibration
It did. The dealer replaced the harness for $400 parts and labor on my Sequoia. Dash light gone and no more vibration/humming.
Old 06-11-19, 12:11 AM
spaseman
Driver School Candidate

ok, so I replaced both speed sensor cable harnesses, driver side and passenger side, and I still have the vibration, but not as often. I do have a question...... the harnesses ( on the wheel side ) connect to a sensor that looks like its pressed into the back of the knuckle. Does anyone know if I can get that sensor ( probably 3rd party ) and if so, can the old sensor be removed ( if so, how ? ), and, how do I press ( hammer lightly ?) the new sensor in ? It would save me from having to buy the knuckle assembly at a cost of $500.00, plus whatever labor charges...
Old 06-11-19, 08:46 PM
spaseman
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that is correct. The rear of the knuckle ?