LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Found LS460L to Buy, Need Air Suspension Help and Insights ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19 | 10:13 PM
abs
Pole Position

Default Found LS460L to Buy, Need Air Suspension Help and Insights ASAP

Hi everyone, I found a 2008 LS460L in pretty good shape with about 40k on it, and negotiated a deal to buy it earlier tonight. Trying to determine if there is a suspension issue with the air suspension before I close the deal. I confirmed the ride height adjusts properly front and rear. However, the rear end felt a bit loose/squirmy on the highway and the Comfort/Sport adjustment did not change the ride quality at all. I checked the Lexus Owner site for the service history and at one point a Lexus dealer represented that new rear struts might be required to solve the loose rear end. The car is not local to me and I'm planning to have the vehicle inspected tomorrow while I'm in town.

From research I've done, I'm thinking maybe at least one strut adjustment controller is disconnected causing the Comfort/Sport not to work? If that's the case, why would someone do that? What else should I inspect to determine issues?

I know the 2008 can have issues with control arms, does this apply to the rear or only the front? If applicable to the rear, would it cause looseness and lateral sway? How many control arms are back there which may need replacement and how pricey are the parts? I think I could probably do my own install?

I would welcome guidance as far as what I should be looking for to fully understand these apparent issues. Unfortunately I have to figure all this out tomorrow (Thursday). Many thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-19 | 10:29 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Depends if if it’s leaking air or oil or what exactly is the issue but usually I wouldn’t think so....have it inspected u would know better that way...

all recalls done? Control arms never been done before?

Originally Posted by abs
Hi everyone, I found a 2008 LS460L in pretty good shape with about 40k on it, and negotiated a deal to buy it earlier tonight. Trying to determine if there is a suspension issue with the air suspension before I close the deal. I confirmed the ride height adjusts properly front and rear. However, the rear end felt a bit loose/squirmy on the highway and the Comfort/Sport adjustment did not change the ride quality at all. I checked the Lexus Owner site for the service history and at one point a Lexus dealer represented that new rear struts might be required to solve the loose rear end. The car is not local to me and I'm planning to have the vehicle inspected tomorrow while I'm in town.

From research I've done, I'm thinking maybe at least one strut adjustment controller is disconnected causing the Comfort/Sport not to work? If that's the case, why would someone do that? What else should I inspect to determine issues?

I know the 2008 can have issues with control arms, does this apply to the rear or only the front? If applicable to the rear, would it cause looseness and lateral sway? How many control arms are back there which may need replacement and how pricey are the parts? I think I could probably do my own install?

I would welcome guidance as far as what I should be looking for to fully understand these apparent issues. Unfortunately I have to figure all this out tomorrow (Thursday). Many thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-19 | 10:39 PM
abs
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure the control arms have not been done. What are the symptoms when they fail?

I'll look for oil leaks tomorrow, the struts appear to be holding air, seems to me the strut compression and rebound adjustment is not working.
Old 04-04-19 | 02:13 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by abs
I'm pretty sure the control arms have not been done. What are the symptoms when they fail?

I'll look for oil leaks tomorrow, the struts appear to be holding air, seems to me the strut compression and rebound adjustment is not working.
clunks and sounds when you go over humps etc can easily replaced if you have a garage and tools ( I don’t have either) if I did have a garage and not stay in an apartment I would press out bushings with tools you can buy or rent and change then with Armstrong fsb or febest.

Theres a recent thread about the struts totally de bonding there’s a rubber part at the top where it sits up against the body of the car have them check there too the debonding caused the actuator to disconnect you can only tell that this is a problem with techstream software to see if it responds.... what area are you in I would pay a Lexus dealer for a pre purchase inspection.
Old 04-04-19 | 03:19 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

take the mystery out of it, so you have a enjoyable outcome

set up a inspection and pay the $125 at a lexus dealer to have the car inspected

no need to gamble the car will be available today, tomorrow and saturday

the repairs can be thousands of dollars with expensive parts

good luck
Old 04-04-19 | 09:26 AM
JLAWS
Racer

You haven't shared the price with us to determine if it is a good deal. The 40K miles on the odometer is the good part but it still is an 11+ year old vehicle.
I'd love to have a LS460L but I'd only get one without the air shocks and rwd which make it a rare find. Getting a non air avoid a $3000-$4000 headache repair down the line and when they fail the car is almost non drivable vs a blown regular shock which give you time to fix it.
Old 04-04-19 | 10:26 AM
abs
Pole Position

Lexus dealer just informed me they recommend to replace both rear shocks and controllers at high expense. I will find out more when I speak to them about any codes, etc.

The deal price is $19.5k. It has some exterior cosmetic paint scrapes/issues, interior is near perfect. It has reclining rear seats and is RWD. Drivetrain feels good.
Old 04-04-19 | 04:04 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FunFact
That is too high, because you're probably looking at $3,000-4,000 on top of that. At that price point you're around 2013-2014 model territory, and those are much better cars. And there are more lower-mileage examples of those.
i agree too much money for what it is
Old 04-04-19 | 04:27 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

The vehicle is just too old with known issues, I say no!
Old 04-04-19 | 06:43 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Do *all* models (mainly 2010) with factory air have the height adjustment controls?
Old 04-05-19 | 06:08 AM
abs
Pole Position

Okay, quick update. Told selling dealer the car needs at least one rear air strut per Lexus "to start", it was clunking over bumps at lower speeds and squirmy rear end on highway. Lexus claimed the Sport/Comfort was working properly, but I've read posts discussing how different the settings should be and there was zero noticeable change in ride, so an issue there too. Selling dealer says they are going to look into repairing it and will call me back with "right of first refusal." Car also suffered some body damage after the dealer took photos to post online and had two big chips in OEM windshield. For now it's a pass. The air struts do worry me, I had a similar system on an Audi Allroad and it was a nightmare. The big appeal for this vehicle was the low mileage . . .

Last edited by abs; 04-05-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-05-19 | 09:44 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

To me, anyway, mileage isn't really a concern for me with an LS. There's not a whole lot of difference between 40k and 100k when it comes to reliability and the likely need to spend money to maintain it. The low mileage really should be buying an interior and exterior in better overall shape. It doesn't sound like that is the case with this vehicle (at least the exterior).
Old 04-05-19 | 11:35 AM
tx170754
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
To me, anyway, mileage isn't really a concern for me with an LS. There's not a whole lot of difference between 40k and 100k when it comes to reliability and the likely need to spend money to maintain it. The low mileage really should be buying an interior and exterior in better overall shape. It doesn't sound like that is the case with this vehicle (at least the exterior).
There is a BIG difference between 40K and 100K, let me know if somebody did finally find a way the beat wear and tear....at least not in my time as one who retired from a very well known OEM company in US...
Old 04-05-19 | 03:34 PM
abs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tx170754
There is a BIG difference between 40K and 100K, let me know if somebody did finally find a way the beat wear and tear....at least not in my time as one who retired from a very well known OEM company in US...
Agreed, everything wears with more miles, even on a Lexus.

What do you all think is a fair retail price for this vehicle given its condition and issues I've described if the dealer does no repairs?
Old 04-05-19 | 04:18 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Originally Posted by abs
Agreed, everything wears with more miles, even on a Lexus.

What do you all think is a fair retail price for this vehicle given its condition and issues I've described if the dealer does no repairs?
I would say something between KBB and NADA, you may also check similar cars on Autotrader, Cars.com, etc.
it also depends on the condition of the car, I’ve seen low mileage cars in miserable condition. To me,the overall condition of the car and the records could eventually guide you in the right direction, at 40,000 miles a pristine car will probably cost you more but I guess it could be worth paying. I will also pay for an independent inspection, not “that” dealer, obviously they need to sell the car...
Just my .02
Good luck !