LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Opinion on what to do: sticky door panel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 05:52 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Opinion on what to do: sticky door panel replacement

My 2010 460L is approved to have lower dash, center console, glove box, and all 4 door panels replaced as part of the ZLZ program. I'm not sure how the door panels got included since I paid about $800 roughly 14 months ago to have my doors wrapped in vinyl and therefore the dealer couldn't take pics of their damage (they were bad but there was no recall at the time so I wrapped them), but this now creates a dilemma for me. Do I get all new door panels and lose the wrapped vinyl look (looks good - not quite as good as the factory leather that comes on certain models)? Or do I keep what I have? My main concern with keeping the vinyl is the door panels getting so sticky in the constant FL heat over the years that the glue they used for securing the vinyl could separate and cause the vinyl to come off or be loose. I've gotten used to the look of the door panels being wrapped and not sure if it would look better or worse to have brand new door panels. It's strictly cosmetic to me.

What would you guys do?
Old 04-08-19, 07:48 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Have you sought reimbursement from Lexus for the $800 outlay?

Regardless, I always favor unaltered factory look.
Old 04-08-19, 07:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TriC
Have you sought reimbursement from Lexus for the $800 outlay?

Regardless, I always favor unaltered factory look.
No, not sure how I would go about trying to get Lexus to reimburse me for the $800... I think some people had success getting reimbursed when they bought Lexus OEM replacement pieces which makes sense. Not sure I could pursue anything given it was optional and I did it at an indy upholstery shop.
Old 04-08-19, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Take the new door panels. No question
Old 04-08-19, 09:07 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
No, not sure how I would go about trying to get Lexus to reimburse me for the $800... I think some people had success getting reimbursed when they bought Lexus OEM replacement pieces which makes sense. Not sure I could pursue anything given it was optional and I did it at an indy upholstery shop.
I believe the ZLZ program letter indicates how to apply for reimbursement of any repair you did to the program-covered areas
Old 04-09-19, 03:14 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would get the new door panels as well. Keep the factory look.
Old 04-09-19, 11:15 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2010 460L is approved to have lower dash, center console, glove box, and all 4 door panels replaced as part of the ZLZ program. I'm not sure how the door panels got included since I paid about $800 roughly 14 months ago to have my doors wrapped in vinyl and therefore the dealer couldn't take pics of their damage (they were bad but there was no recall at the time so I wrapped them), but this now creates a dilemma for me. Do I get all new door panels and lose the wrapped vinyl look (looks good - not quite as good as the factory leather that comes on certain models)? Or do I keep what I have? My main concern with keeping the vinyl is the door panels getting so sticky in the constant FL heat over the years that the glue they used for securing the vinyl could separate and cause the vinyl to come off or be loose. I've gotten used to the look of the door panels being wrapped and not sure if it would look better or worse to have brand new door panels. It's strictly cosmetic to me.

What would you guys do?
as far as I know there are no 460s made with leather dash , door panels or glove box

My executive 460 has the stitched glove box, it looks like leather but isn't, its vinyl

But yea if they are going to do it then get the brand new OEM stuff forsure
Old 04-10-19, 06:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
as far as I know there are no 460s made with leather dash , door panels or glove box

My executive 460 has the stitched glove box, it looks like leather but isn't, its vinyl

But yea if they are going to do it then get the brand new OEM stuff forsure
Certain 460's have the door panels wrapped in leather (not sure what trim line it is/was offered) - my LX570 has it and it is a similar look in the LS's. Sounds like the consensus is new OEM panels - I was kinda leaning that way as well - mainly due to my concern that the poor material quality of my original door panels could cause the adhesive on my custom wrapping to fail over time.
Old 04-11-19, 10:11 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If reimbursement doesn't appear as an option, i'd ask the dealer if you can keep your old vinyl panels and sell them to another member who's car isn't eligible for the warranty program and needs new panels themselves. I'm glad my 07 model has the leather door panels!
The following users liked this post:
icon901 (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 01:32 PM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by terminater
If reimbursement doesn't appear as an option, i'd ask the dealer if you can keep your old vinyl panels and sell them to another member who's car isn't eligible for the warranty program and needs new panels themselves. I'm glad my 07 model has the leather door panels!
This is a great idea. I'd wager you could get several grand for them...
Old 04-11-19, 07:52 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by icon901
This is a great idea. I'd wager you could get several grand for them...
Several grand? There door panels on ebay that are already leather from the factory and don't have the recall issue for far less...
Old 04-12-19, 08:28 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If they're on eBay, they have the issue as they were in the same run with bad materials as others.
Old 04-14-19, 01:07 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Certain 460's have the door panels wrapped in leather (not sure what trim line it is/was offered) - my LX570 has it and it is a similar look in the LS's. Sounds like the consensus is new OEM panels - I was kinda leaning that way as well - mainly due to my concern that the poor material quality of my original door panels could cause the adhesive on my custom wrapping to fail over time.
Originally Posted by FunFact
Comfort Plus models have leather-wrapped door panels and semi-aniline leather seats.
Imteresting, is that only in the 2013+ models?

I have never seen real leather on any 07-09 door panel, oth of mine have the stitched door panels and one has the stitched glove box but its all vinyl as far as I can tell
Old 04-14-19, 08:29 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Imteresting, is that only in the 2013+ models?

I have never seen real leather on any 07-09 door panel, oth of mine have the stitched door panels and one has the stitched glove box but its all vinyl as far as I can tell
I have to agree with you. I have seen a couple of the 07-09 models which stitched armrests and they were deteriorated. Do any of the old brochures say what areas are covered in leather? Im gonna look into it.
Old 04-14-19, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

On the 13+ models at least, the stitched areas are only real leather in the 600s or cars with the executive package

I can say from my LS400 and LS430 days, you dont want those armrests to be real leather. The area where you close the door is a huge wear point.

Quick Reply: Opinion on what to do: sticky door panel replacement