LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

shell gas and the dreaded gas topic

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 03:38 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts
Default shell gas and the dreaded gas topic

Hi all, been really enjoying LS ownership again with the 460

been using primarily costco gas due to the 30 cent a gallon difference from shell premium

i have noticed over the years amazing results with the shell premium 93 octane and the smoothness with the 4 cylinder turbo motor
its performance full throttle better
its off the line smoothness with light throttle inputs better than costco

didn't think it would make a difference in our v8's

just put a whole tank in and have to say the off the line slight throttle inputs are better in the v8
haven't kicked it down with full throttle but for most they wouldn't feel a difference

for those enthusiasts and picky owners i must admit the gas with the additives are slightly better. i know both are top tier
i know i am going to hear the gas is the same comes from the same wholesaer
much of that is true

put a tank of shell v power in pay the 6 extra bucks vs standard other gas and validate the truth if you enjoy that little extra

enjoy
Old 04-17-19, 04:45 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
Hi all, been really enjoying LS ownership again with the 460

been using primarily costco gas due to the 30 cent a gallon difference from shell premium

i have noticed over the years amazing results with the shell premium 93 octane and the smoothness with the 4 cylinder turbo motor
its performance full throttle better
its off the line smoothness with light throttle inputs better than costco

didn't think it would make a difference in our v8's

just put a whole tank in and have to say the off the line slight throttle inputs are better in the v8
haven't kicked it down with full throttle but for most they wouldn't feel a difference

for those enthusiasts and picky owners i must admit the gas with the additives are slightly better. i know both are top tier
i know i am going to hear the gas is the same comes from the same wholesaer
much of that is true

put a tank of shell v power in pay the 6 extra bucks vs standard other gas and validate the truth if you enjoy that little extra

enjoy
Have you ever tried Ethanol free?
Old 04-17-19, 05:08 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree on the “top tier” gas. Cleaned up a miss in my engine over time. Plus a plug change. The miss went away after aggressive driving and the Costco gas.

Then the plug change which was mostly noticeable at idle
Old 04-17-19, 05:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Years ago I attended a lecture on gasolines. I have to say it totally sold me on Shell gas. Now it was sponsored by Shell, so obviously a conflict of interest. However, I have to say that the evidence and information I saw convinced me Shell premium was certainly a gasoline I should be using. I don't doubt using a premium from Mobil or other name brands will produce similar results.

I'm not sure if short term you can tell a difference between a premium brand with additives and an discount brand, but I am convinced over the long term there is a difference. I tend to keep my cars. My LS is almost 12 years old, the Ferrari 11 years old, and my wife's Jag S-Type is 18 years old (I got her a new Porsche Panamera but we still use the Jag). There was a period of years where my wife used discount gas in her Jag and we had some problems with it that I think could possibly be attributed to poor gasoline.

For many years I used to put Sunoco 94 in my Harley, but some years ago they stopped selling that octane in my area. Now I hardly ride it any more due to so many people on their cell phones and not paying attention.
Old 04-17-19, 05:53 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Originally Posted by FunFact
I've put different brands of gas in that make double to the wheel what these cars make at the crank and felt no difference, and I'll certainly feel more of a difference than you would.

This is probably almost entirely placebo effect. Detergents/additives are not going to have any real short-term effects, the differences in detergents will be seen long-term as you might have more carbon buildup if the detergents are inferior. And if your knock sensors are causing timing retard even with premium, well that's a whole different animal of the octane rating being incorrect.

been driving for over 1,100,000 miles and have had four LS's i think i know cars and my automobiles
your response about placebo is whats a placebo
here's another tid bit for u
my wife 5 series with the n20 four cylinder i drive with costco gas one week. i average 26.0 mpg
same driving habits and because off line less throttle input with shell filling up following week 27.3 combined very similar driving habits

the gas in my opinion is not so much about additives to add to it i think it has higher octane than 93 advertised or on west coast 91.

most drivers won't feel a nod , for the discriminating driver you will notice it, on my wifes turbo 4 the kick downs on highway have more pull as well.

and for full disclosure my throttle body was cleaned 3 weeks ago at lexus...
Old 04-18-19, 08:53 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have always subscribed to good gas in my vehicle as well. "Top Tier" gas is an industry specification that meets certain detergent and additive criteria. As of the current list Costcos gas is on the list.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Old 04-18-19, 09:34 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by rick3242
I have always subscribed to good gas in my vehicle as well. "Top Tier" gas is an industry specification that meets certain detergent and additive criteria. As of the current list Costcos gas is on the list.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
In my city today, (Greensboro,NC) Shell V-Power 93 octane is $3.37. The Costco 93 Octane is at $2.79.
Old 04-18-19, 11:00 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

not worth the difference costco is great gas for the money