LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Most useless features on the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 02:06 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I actually really like the radar cruise in my 07 . I don't use it often because I find the effort it takes to watch the car and make sure its following everything as it should, is not much easier then actually doing it myself , but its useful at times and I like having it

Most useless feature would of course be the self parking , ive never really used it successfully.

Navigation is another one, but that's only because we have smart phones.

The truth of the matter is most features in luxury cars rarely get used , aside from the radio , heating and air conditioning, heated/cooled seats and a few other basics they are mostly just for show.

I think my 07 had every single available option , and I don't use any of them really.
Old 04-19-19, 02:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardgil
Actually I think it’s a good feature. The driver can easily adjust the seat for someone in the back or for someone entering the vehicle.
Second this, I love being able to adjust the passenger seat without having to reach all the way over to the other side. I also rest my arm on the center console and have never accidentally activated the passenger seat control.

What I do find useless is the headlight washers because I can't tell if they're really workimg, on, or doing anything. Also, the "massaging" rear seats are a complete joke - only grade school kids find it amusing or neat.
Old 04-19-19, 03:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

You got me thinking, and I can't find anything on my LS that I find useless. There might be some things I don't use much or at all, e.g. the valet button in the glove compartment because I never ever valet my car, so I guess it is useless for me, but I know some people use it.

On the other hand, I find so many features to be extremely helpful.
Old 04-19-19, 06:59 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Two useless features on my 13 LS that I hate the most.

Cannot lock/unlock from the outside while the car is running. I know it can be done with a key but it's not convenient at all.
Cannot make changes to navigation while the car is moving. I know the reason behind it but what if you have a passenger that can make changes while you're driving?
Old 04-19-19, 07:05 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardgil
Actually I think it’s a good feature. The driver can easily adjust the seat for someone in the back or for someone entering the vehicle.
I agree. I like this feature since we have two little kids. I can easily move the seats up for the kids to have more space if there is no front passenger.
Old 04-19-19, 10:52 PM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

I would first say that the ability to adjust passenger seat from drivers is an amazing feature. Also whenever I have my laptop in the trunk I lockout the trunk using the button and lock the glovebox. Doubt a thief will crowbar the glove box...

most at useless feature in my 13’ L is shared with all other Lexi... the ECO bar in the gauge. Who the hell drives with that in mind?!
Old 04-19-19, 11:48 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

More annoying than useless, but what's with the speaker image when you turn the stereo off. I usually have my display set to the sound system, so when I turn it off I i get two big images of a speaker! Really, a speaker is what they came up with for "audio off"?? WTF?!
Old 04-19-19, 11:53 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I agree. I like this feature since we have two little kids. I can easily move the seats up for the kids to have more space if there is no front passenger.
Agree completely; it was one of the things that impressed me about the car during the test drive. Now that I've been driving it for a year I realize I can't even reach most of the glove box, let alone the seat controls on the far side of the passenger seat.
The following users liked this post:
Richardgil (04-21-19)
Old 04-20-19, 03:02 AM
AZLexicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muddy
My 2015 has a button in the glove box that will lockout access to the trunk, unless you use the physical key. I have never felt the need or wanted such a feature.
I built a gun safe in the pass through from the rear center armrest to the trunk. I like the trunk button lockout so it isn't so easy to get to the weapon. I have to secure it when I am at work.
Old 04-20-19, 03:15 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default SR20 rule, mate

Originally Posted by AZLexicon
I built a gun safe in the pass through from the rear center armrest to the trunk. I like the trunk button lockout so it isn't so easy to get to the weapon. I have to secure it when I am at work.
We need pictures of that, or I call utter BS.
Old 04-20-19, 04:09 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Outofspec
I don't know if it's useless; but I find it annoying. The front passenger seat adjustment buttons on the inboard side of the front passenger seat back.
I drive with my right elbow and forearm on the center counsel pad. I'm constantly hitting those buttons with my elbow moving the seat around into ridiculous positions. I'm not sure if only the L has that feature. I get it; it's for the back seat guy to get more leg room. Is there a way to turn the feature off?

One of the greatest features on the Ls430 and the Ls 460 use it all the time for using right seat as armrest due to not ruining the leather with elbow all the time on center armrest

spend a lot of time working in back seat with computer like I'm in a living room, and its very handy. to put hand on left of seat move it back and forth
my ml sounds system sounds like a concert hall in back seat, and the front is ridiculous with center channel primary focus.
Old 04-20-19, 03:30 PM
reckedhim
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
BMWs have a useful feature that sounds a tone when the outside temp hits 34* F - the temp that black ice begins to form.
Unfortunately it's the same tone that sounds when something goes wrong. It would scare me everytime it would ring when the weather would get cooler. I miss my bmw but I don't miss always worrying about something going wrong.
ImportISF (04-21-19)
Old 04-20-19, 06:37 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

The power closing trunk lid. It takes forever to close and pull down, and doesn't close using the dash button. I'll let James May explain it best:
FatherTo1 (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 07:38 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Had to think about this for awhile, but for me, the brake hold feature. Just don't find it useful and never really liked using it. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-20-19, 07:47 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Had to think about this for awhile, but for me, the brake hold feature. Just don't find it useful and never really liked using it. Maybe I'm missing something.
WHAT !!!! That's the most useful feature to me.
dlbuckls10 (04-20-19)

Quick Reply: Most useless features on the LS?