LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Most useless features on the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 08:06 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Maybe you do a lot of city driving homeboy, I'm mostly highway.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (04-21-19)
Old 04-20-19, 09:48 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Had to think about this for awhile, but for me, the brake hold feature. Just don't find it useful and never really liked using it. Maybe I'm missing something.
Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
WHAT !!!! That's the most useful feature to me.
Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Maybe you do a lot of city driving homeboy, I'm mostly highway.
I agree with you about the brake hold, Benjam1n. I average 80-95% City driving each tank of gas and never really cared for the brake hold. I don't see the point of the feature. My right leg/foot never gets terribly fatigued from driving all day so what's the point? I also don't like the feature because the execution is not very smooth when you get going again. Teslas naturally come to a complete stop and hold too but they execute it better and the electric motors resume speed smoothly -- I still keep my foot on the brake in a Tesla though, it barely takes any effort anyways (sort of like the video above referring to the effort needed to close a trunk, lol).
Old 04-20-19, 10:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

The Alcantara headliner is a pretty meaningless "feature" to me. What is so bad about the standard headliner? I also find the ambient lighting too dim and subtle, to the point that I don't even notice it when driving at night. I have to take a moment in a parking lot and let my eyes adjust to darkness before I can notice my shoes are faintly illuminated by the ambient light. I definitely can't see the light meant for the door handles (I only know it's there because I deliberately looked for it once). To me, the ambient lighting is really pointless, not to mention expensive to fix.
Old 04-21-19, 10:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
The power closing trunk lid. It takes forever to close and pull down, and doesn't close using the dash button. I'll let James May explain it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMWwmP9Snsc
I felt the same way about the power closing trunk lid until I adjusted my thinking about it. When you're unloading the trunk and your arms are full of luggage or bags, the power closing trunk lid is great. Same for the opening, although modern systems where you swipe your foot under the bumper to open it.

If you don't want to use the power closing trunk, you can just close it the old fashioned way. Unlike the power pull down trunks on my dads 90s Lincoln and Cadillac the trunk in the LS doesn't jam if you slam it (I.e. you can slam it or power latch it).

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
WHAT !!!! That's the most useful feature to me.
I also love the brake hold now that I've gotten used to it. The Pacifica doesn't have a brake hold and I seriously miss it when I'm driving that.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The Alcantara headliner is a pretty meaningless "feature" to me. What is so bad about the standard headliner? I also find the ambient lighting too dim and subtle, to the point that I don't even notice it when driving at night. I have to take a moment in a parking lot and let my eyes adjust to darkness before I can notice my shoes are faintly illuminated by the ambient light. I definitely can't see the light meant for the door handles (I only know it's there because I deliberately looked for it once). To me, the ambient lighting is really pointless, not to mention expensive to fix.
I've had the standard headliner and the alcantara headliner. The standard headliner on the LS460 is really nice also plush and thickly padded, but the alcantara headliner makes the car feel much more luxurious inside.

Most cars dont have standard headliners as nice as what Lexus uses. If you sit in an S Class for instance without the alcantara headliner and with it there's a HUGE difference as the standard headliner isnt plush.

As for ambient lighting, remember the 13-17 LS460 was designed right before ambient lighting really took off. Now ambient lighting is a huge part of the interior experience of a luxury car.

I can see all the lights in mine on at night.
Old 04-21-19, 04:17 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

The standard Escaine headliner has a very luxurious feel. It’s really nice but once you’ve had Alcantara there’s no going back. The cabin seems more insulated with it. My Custom Luxury 430 had it and I was disappointed when I found out that only JDM 2010-12 LS460 SZ’s came with it.

Useless features I’d say the redundant outside temperature read out on the center display. Not sure why I need to be reminded twice. They could had added other useful gauges to monitor the car.

Ambient footwell lighting is terrible without pulling off the orange bulb condoms. It’s more noticeable/useful after the DIY. The door handle lighting could be mistaken for halogen bulbs.

The most useless feature in my opinion is the E differential that plagues 2008-09 ISFs. A Torsen was added to FSport models in 2013-17. Come on Toyota/Lexus you put a LSD in the mid 80s Cressida. This pulsating side to side braking effect is trash under throttle. Full Trac disable and I’m cooking my 285 Falkens.
Old 04-21-19, 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah it does seem to insulate the cabin more...
Old 04-21-19, 05:16 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How about the self parking feature? Not that accurate, too much trouble to set up.
Useless, the absence of a “set” light when cruise control is engaged.
Old 04-21-19, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richardgil
How about the self parking feature? Not that accurate, too much trouble to set up.
Useless, the absence of a “set” light when cruise control is engaged.
They did away with that feature in later models.

However, I have it on our Pacifica van and it works great, fast to set up, we use it every time we park. Just needed some time for the tech to get there.

Later models also have a "SET" light for the cruise.
Old 04-21-19, 07:01 PM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

The ECO mode is pointless. No increase in mpg at all.
bigsherv (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 05:23 AM
vb9594
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Ha- for that matter, I can't figure out what the heck the Sport mode does, either!

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE the car, but got a chuckle out of the display switch I mentioned in my original post. And I love the power trunk close feature!
Old 04-22-19, 10:18 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish the power trunk close worked from the remote like with our Odyssey.
NotFasty (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 04:43 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

ICE lockout while in motion. Why can't my wife switch audio input to her phone while I'm driving? Definitely the most useless feature.
Old 04-22-19, 08:39 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, the live radio pause function...
Old 04-22-19, 08:52 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

What in the world?
I imagine my 2014 that doesn’t have a hard drive can’t do this.
Originally Posted by jimrd
For me, the live radio pause function...
Old 04-22-19, 09:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by RussLS460
The ECO mode is pointless. No increase in mpg at all.
On occasion I roll in ECO. I notice up to 1.5 MPG improvement but I drive 80-95% City. Not much improvement when on a road trip and majority freeway miles.

Quick Reply: Most useless features on the LS?