LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

To Resume, or not to resume? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 01:15 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Default To Resume, or not to resume? That is the question...

Folks,

I've been meaning to mention this for years. But never think about it until now. Occasionally when I cancel the Cruise control, and I push the lever up to resume, it does not resume at my previous set speed. Instead it seems as if I have reset the cruise speed. And no, I am not pushing down to resume, I am pushing UP (to resume). This is using the traditional cruise (because the radar cruise blows … but that's a different thread ).

For example, just a day or 2 ago, I had my cruise set at 55 mph. A car slowed to turn off, and I canceled the cruise, slowed, and then started picking up my speed. Once I have the accelerator as far down as I care to, it is usually then that I press the lever up, to Resume and back my foot off the throttle pedal.

And then I noticed that it is just cruising, and not continuing to accelerate back to my set speed. I look at the Cruise set speed and it is now saying 37 mph, instead of 55, like it was before.

Why does it do this? I've always thought it may be a feature of the cruise system that I do not understand. Have any of you experienced this?

Jason Oliver
Old 05-04-19, 04:42 AM
Muddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This has happened to me more than a few times in my 2017 WRX. I keep thinking I somehow screwed up.
Old 05-04-19, 09:59 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

I had my cruise set at 55 mph. A car slowed to turn off, and I canceled the cruise, slowed, and then started picking up my speed.

Couple of options to accommodate traffic.
Draw the speed control stalk toward you and the steering wheel rim to coast, then raise the lever to "RES" resume previously set speed.
Tap the brakes (showing brake lights to Officer Friendly and then resume (if you don't get pulled over)
Cancel the cruise by turning off the speed control. This inefficient method will require Resetting your speed.
Hold the lever down to set a lower speed and then raise the lever to increase your speed. This makes regaining your original speed tougher.
Note: nearly all speed control inputs require a deliberate and positive touch. Might you have pressed RES for too short a moment?
Old 05-06-19, 07:46 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mcomer
Draw the speed control stalk toward you and the steering wheel rim to coast...
This is the "CANCEL" function on the stalk.

... then raise the lever to "RES" resume previously set speed.
This is of course exactly what I'm doing.

Tap the brakes (showing brake lights to Officer Friendly and then resume (if you don't get pulled over).
I don't slow down for law enforcement. Because I rarely speed … at least to the point that I would get pulled over. If I speed it is only on the interstate and a very rare circumstance … when I would have a very good reason for doing so.

Cancel the cruise by turning off the speed control. This inefficient method will require Resetting your speed.
I know this, but wouldn't do it.

Hold the lever down to set a lower speed and then raise the lever to increase your speed. This makes regaining your original speed tougher.
Only a rookie cruise controller would do this. I plan far enough ahead that I back of the cruise generally always in time to not need to use the brakes.

Note: nearly all speed control inputs require a deliberate and positive touch. Might you have pressed RES for too short a moment?
As far as I know, to resume it is a quick push up. Which is what I do. And I know the stalk is sensing what I'm doing because most of the time it resumes as normal, at other times it seems to SET the speed at the speed I'm doing at that instant, even though I have pushed the stalk up. I don't push it up and hold it, as this speeds the car and the set speed up.
Old 05-06-19, 03:05 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Folks,

This is using the traditional cruise (because the radar cruise blows … but that's a different thread ).

Jason Oliver
OK, I can't answer your question because in 12 years of ownership I have never used the traditional cruise control. However, I regularly use the radar cruise control. Whadda ya mean it "blows"? Either discuss it here or start another thread cause I'm looking for a fight!
Old 05-07-19, 09:24 AM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by FunFact
The following distance is pretty bad, even on the smallest gap setting, because it leaves way too much room. It's fine for single lane roads, but not good for highways: people will always cut in front of you. The reaction time for it to start accelerating if someone floors it that braked in front of you is also extremely disappointing compared to other cars. Other than that, it's not terrible. I certainly prefer radar cruise to traditional cruise control.
Yes, the gap it keeps even at the shortest setting does allow others to slip in front of you. However, I think that setting keeps you at the minimum legal following distance. And I do agree the acceleration is a little slow. Sometimes in those situations I'll hit the gas pedal briefly to get the car going.
Old 05-07-19, 01:20 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

That's part of why I don't like the Radar CC. For the opposite reason that you guys mention. Even at the furthest distance setting, it is too close. There's too much speeding up / slowing down / etc.

On my own, with my feet, I gain speed smoothly, I decelerate smoothly, I turn smoothly (with my hands). I don't prefer any abrupt motions. I'm in a land yacht. I just want smooth sailing. I'm not on a roller coaster ride. I'm not on a road course trying to set a lap record. And the Radar Cruise is too close, it reacts to a butterfly flying in front of the LS, ETC. I think it accelerates too quickly too.

I just want it to leave me alone, hold a stead speed, because I'm watching what's going on. I'll cancel the cruise in plenty of time to coast in hopes that I don't even have to use the breaks. Coasting is smoother than breaking.

I get away with smooth driving because I don't try to fend off other drivers from getting between myself and the car in front of me. I don't want them cutting in, but I don't try and stop them in any way. I just drive my own smooth style. If they do jump out in front of me, I just deal with them … they become the new object for me to not let disturb my cruise any more than is possible. Just my driving style. And it makes brakes and tires last a lot longer.
Old 05-07-19, 02:36 PM
Nospinzone

OK Jason, no fight, it's all personal preferences.
Old 05-08-19, 08:08 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Nospinzone and others, change the Drive Mode from Normal or Eco to Sport. It will dramatically
change the response to changes in speed.
Old 05-08-19, 09:59 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
OK Jason, no fight, it's all personal preferences.
Agreement.

I realize I'm probably in the minority about disliking the RCC. I want to like it. But every time I try it, it goes against my driving style so I shut it down and go back to traditional.

FWIW - The traditional mode accelerates too briskly for me as well. My pattern is to: Cruising, Cancel early, coast as long as possible, brake if I must, foot throttle it back to near the set speed (because I accelerate slower than either cruise control), and at 2 to 5 mph under my set speed then I Resume and let the car handle the last 2 to 5 mph in speed gain. That's my normal routine. Sometimes I Resume a little sooner than that.
Old 05-09-19, 04:06 PM
Nospinzone

Nospinzone and others, change the Drive Mode from Normal or Eco to Sport. It will dramatically
change the response to changes in speed.
Hmmm,that's interesting. I'm usually in Normal mode. I'll have to try it in Sport mode.