LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Squeak Fix- 2015 LS460 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 07:42 AM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Squeak Fix- 2015 LS460 F-Sport

I will probably get flamed for posting this and will be told to use the search function on the forum but I have spent the last week looking for the best/updated(some threads are over a year old) solution to the obnoxious brake squeal I am experiencing in this vehicle. As stated in my signature I have a 2015 LS460 F-Sport and understand Lexus has somehow gotten away with letting Pagid -> Brembo-> Toyota put these high performance brake pads that squeal to the high heavens on their F-Sport vehicles. I obviously want out of the noise and still want the same stopping performance.

Can someone give me the consensus on this? I haven't spoke to the dealer regarding whether the the following TSB #L-SB-0009-16 done (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...93262-5448.pdf) has been performed on my LS460 yet. Based on multiple testimonies on this forum that may not matter because the TSB work did not eliminate the squeal and in some cases made it worse. I can't get past the fact that Lexus hasn't formulated a solution to such an obnoxious problem on their flagship $90,000 vehicle but I digress.

What are the best pads if replacing the OEM pads described above? It seemed at first many preferred Akebono pads as far as brands go but they didn't have pads to replace the F-Sport OEM Brembos. Is that still the case today? Tiretrack brought up (2) Akebono pads after I specifically entered my vehicle description? I have also read other endorse PowerStop ceramic pads?

Do I need to replace the rotors as well? Or if dealer states they are not warped I will be good with new pads same rotors? PowerStock/RockAuto has them for $22/pc...is that really a quality product at that price? Any suggestions on the best overall combination would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-19, 11:48 AM
ccbcc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KC4Life
I will probably get flamed for posting this and will be told to use the search function on the forum but I have spent the last week looking for the best/updated(some threads are over a year old) solution to the obnoxious brake squeal I am experiencing in this vehicle. As stated in my signature I have a 2015 LS460 F-Sport and understand Lexus has somehow gotten away with letting Pagid -> Brembo-> Toyota put these high performance brake pads that squeal to the high heavens on their F-Sport vehicles. I obviously want out of the noise and still want the same stopping performance.

Can someone give me the consensus on this? I haven't spoke to the dealer regarding whether the the following TSB #L-SB-0009-16 done (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...93262-5448.pdf) has been performed on my LS460 yet. Based on multiple testimonies on this forum that may not matter because the TSB work did not eliminate the squeal and in some cases made it worse. I can't get past the fact that Lexus hasn't formulated a solution to such an obnoxious problem on their flagship $90,000 vehicle but I digress.

What are the best pads if replacing the OEM pads described above? It seemed at first many preferred Akebono pads as far as brands go but they didn't have pads to replace the F-Sport OEM Brembos. Is that still the case today? Tiretrack brought up (2) Akebono pads after I specifically entered my vehicle description? I have also read other endorse PowerStop ceramic pads?

Do I need to replace the rotors as well? Or if dealer states they are not warped I will be good with new pads same rotors? PowerStock/RockAuto has them for $22/pc...is that really a quality product at that price? Any suggestions on the best overall combination would be appreciated.

Thanks!
(Note: I am on mobile and excuse my typos if any. I have the same model year ls 460 f sport)

First, performing the procedure in the bulletin fixed the very problem after we bought the car. It cost about $1800, covered by warranty in my case.

Second, after using pagid Brembo brake Pads for about two years, I replaced them with Powerstop and it worked perfectly ok: no squeak noise and much less dust. Its less grabbing while stopping the car adequately. When replacing the pads, I observed uneven wear (ie pads left many traces on the rotors) on the front rotors, but its not too bad: I don't have any brake pulsation after installing Powerstop.

I wrote a short summary and posted it on this forum after I finished the job.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (12-26-19)
Old 05-07-19, 06:53 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Hello. I also have 2015 F-Sport that squealed like crazy. I had the TSB done and my brakes have never squeaked again. I recommend you give that a try first, since it's likely to be free of cost. When mine were done they told me afterwards that they sent the rotors to a machine shop. From what I can tell they do not do that in every case.
Old 05-08-19, 03:19 AM
tboo72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. 2105 Crafted Line who had squeaky brakes and had the TSB done. No noise after that.
Old 05-09-19, 06:53 AM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the replies! I am encouraged to hear the TSB work fixed the issue. I am going to get a hold of the service manager at my local Lexus dealer to see if the car is eligible for the TSB work. If that doesn't fix the issues I may revisit replacing the OEM's with an alternative pad/rotor setup.

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-20, 06:58 PM
jekoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KC4Life

Thanks!
Purchased 2016 CPO F-Sport last October with 2,100 miles. Brakes began to squeak soon after at slow speeds. Took the TSB to Lexus service today for warranty repair...fixed. Thanks for the thread!
Old 01-21-20, 07:01 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

This is interesting. My 2014 also squeals and the dust is always covering my wheels. I just put a call in to Lexus here and the service tech told me as long as my brakes were at 50% they'd be covered. Taking the car in next Wednesday.

Last edited by R Z; 01-21-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 03:01 PM
jekoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that with the TSB it wouldn’t matter the condition of the brakes. GL!
Old 01-21-20, 06:19 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

When I had mine done (TSB) they did a whole brake job--surface the rotors and everything. I can see why they wouldn't want to do that for free if the brakes were more than 50% used anyway.
Old 02-07-20, 02:54 AM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a brake pad difference between the 2014 LS F Sport AWD and the 2015 LS F sport AWD? All you guys may be worried about the squeal noise. I actually replaced front and back rotors with R1 slotted and drilled rotors, using power stop pads on 2014 LS F Sport. It still squeals sometimes. Honestly thinking of putting on Brembo pads directly from brembo(not the Lexus/brembo by pagid) or red stuff by ebc brakes. I feel like I need more bite especially with these rotors setup.
Old 02-07-20, 06:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Because my car was out of warranty, I was informed the TSB on my F Sport was no longer valid. Plus, I was assured, the fix didn't work. Of course, I'm reading here that it did. The brake squeal doesn't bother me that much. I do, however, detest the obnoxious ongoing brake dust. Lexus has lost their way.
Old 09-04-20, 07:04 AM
TS85
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2015 ls 460 craft line from CarMax. I got 3 more days to decide if I want it or not and I can return the car if I’m not happy.

on the test drive u didn’t hear any squeaks but now after 3 days of driving it’s gotten so bad I want to return the vehicle. Lexus can’t service it for free since it’s out of warranty and it’s nearly $2k to fix.

CarMax requires that I have their service department attempt the replacement during the first 30 days, after 30 days u can take to Lexus and hopefully the extended warranty covers it. but I’m Concerned with what parts CarMax will use and if it’ll even fix the squeaks.

anyways I’ll update again once I hear back from CarMax.

I also had one Lexus dealer quote me $750 for new pads and resurfacing. Not sure if he quoted me correctly over the phone because that’s a big difference compared to the TSB fix costs.
Old 09-04-20, 02:52 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TS85
on the test drive u didn’t hear any squeaks but now after 3 days of driving it’s gotten so bad I want to return the vehicle. Lexus can’t service it for free since it’s out of warranty and it’s nearly $2k to fix.
How many miles are on it? It might be due for a brake job anyway at this point. I would definitely have somebody take a peak and tell you how pad life is left and how the rotors look.
Old 09-04-20, 04:46 PM
TS85
Driver School Candidate

my car has 31k miles

Today I sent the car into Lexus service for diagnose and they recommended replacing all 4 pads. They also said the current pads were aftermarket. They didn’t mention what brand. I got a service appointment with CarMax next week so I’ll be showing them the Lexus service paperwork and see if they’ll replace my pads with OEM pads.
Old 04-17-21, 03:49 AM
strallying
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LS460 but not the F-Sport imported by previous owner from Singapore. Front brakes squeak like a banshee, rather embarrassing. They won’t be eligible for any TSB work. When I first had her the dealer gave me a 12month insurance warranty. They paid for a new actuator to try and fix it. Needless to say didn’t work, never thought it would. Have put up noise for two years😏. Now got time to try and resolve myself.
Any suggestions for what I could fit here in NZ.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeak Fix- 2015 LS460 F-Sport