LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Drama

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 06:32 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake Drama

Well, my dash lit up on the way home tonight. I have a 2007 LS with 178k miles on it. As far as I can see from the VIN history the Brake Actuator has never been replaced. I am waiting for my buddy to bring back my BlueDriver, which hopefully will allow me to retrieve a code for this issue. Anyone know the diagnosis process to identify if the brake actuator is bad?

Popular Reply

05-12-19, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I think the bottom line is that this has always been a collaborative forum, responses like the OP got above are out of line and outside of the character of this forum. We've always had a remarkable lack of that kind of stuff. Hopefully that isn't a trend.

I apologize for that response on behalf of the forum OP.
Old 05-10-19, 08:29 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Why does this have to be drama, come on.
Get a code reader (ABS) and check it out !
178 k and you are a drama queen about a mechanical issue on an automobile.

Research what a code reader and diagnosis is before you post !

Do your research! You will come across more informed and may learn something!
Old 05-10-19, 08:32 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Also if you use search it will help even the most ignorant about an issue!
Old 05-10-19, 08:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Let’s lighten up on the personal commentary please. Drama was in the title as a turn of phrase, the question asked was pretty even keel
The following 6 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
DavidinCT (06-14-19), LS460Crown (11-13-19), PackmanJim (05-13-19), Peacebay (05-12-19), RedRover (05-11-19), SW17LS (05-12-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-10-19, 08:51 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Fair enough!
I just get frustrated when people do not do research web wide when a problem arises!
They just get lazy and post without any research at all, it must be generational
Before I ask a question with a concern I will exhaust all avenues!
Old 05-10-19, 08:55 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Did not mean Dave to insult, just to inform, we need to be more proactive and search on our own sometimes !
Old 05-11-19, 06:16 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

If the OP researched fully and found his answer he might not have been compelled to post on our forum and allow us all to follow his experiences and possibly benefit from his conclusions. OP, please let us know what you find out about your brakes. I, for one, would be interested as I fully expect mine to do the same one of these days.
Old 05-11-19, 08:32 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jkittlesen
Why does this have to be drama, come on.
Get a code reader (ABS) and check it out !
178 k and you are a drama queen about a mechanical issue on an automobile.

Research what a code reader and diagnosis is before you post !

Do your research! You will come across more informed and may learn something!
Your response is pretty dramatic
The following 2 users liked this post by Sportznuts:
DavidinCT (11-15-19), epicazo79 (04-15-20)
Old 05-11-19, 08:32 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
If the OP researched fully and found his answer he might not have been compelled to post on our forum and allow us all to follow his experiences and possibly benefit from his conclusions. OP, please let us know what you find out about your brakes. I, for one, would be interested as I fully expect mine to do the same one of these days.
Me too. I'm glad we see post like this. Thats the true spirit of this forum. I for one thought that the guy slamming the OP needs to delete his comments. My 2 cents.
The following 5 users liked this post by fwhomeboy:
ALK (05-11-19), LS460Crown (11-13-19), PackmanJim (03-02-20), RedRover (05-11-19), sha4000 (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 09:23 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Me too. I'm glad we see post like this. Thats the true spirit of this forum. I for one thought that the guy slamming the OP needs to delete his comments. My 2 cents.
Completely agree. I didn’t know this problem even existed. I’m glad he posted.
Old 05-11-19, 09:43 AM
Gjohnson
Driver

Hey guys! Wow, I didn’t mean to trigger someone into a rage fit. I have been researching this issue since I picked up my LS last year. From the research that I have done, most threads relating to these brake issues just detail the cost to replace these parts and what people were able to get done under Lexus warranty. My car has a rebuilt title and thus Lexus will not consider replacing my parts under warranty. I plan to fix the issue myself and will try to document as much as possible for other members.

I am simply asking if someone knows of a diagnosis process to pinpoint this issue. I don’t have all data access or know a Lexus mechanic that can give me some tips on a DIY repair.

Hopefully when I get my BlueDriver back later this afternoon I will have more details, but when these parts can run over 1k I just don’t want to start ordering parts and cross my fingers that it fixes the issue.

I have worked and many cars and even built my old LS1 swapped 240sx a few years ago. Anyone that has worked on cars before, knows there can be many different causes for a variety of issues.
Old 05-11-19, 05:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Or just fix it and keep driving.
Old 05-11-19, 06:13 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
It's pretty simple, just bring the car to Lexus and have them run the diagnostic real quick to confirm if it's the actuator. It's pretty obvious when the actuator has failed with the codes, and they'll be able to tell you right away with the stored codes. You can also bring it to Autozone and have them scan it, though I don't know if the stored codes will appear. Other than that, you're just going to be blindly guessing until you get yourself techstream or do what I said.

That being said, at 178k miles and with a salvage title I wouldn't even bother if they confirm it's the actuator. 178k miles with a clean title would be a $7-8k car if it's in good condition. With a salvage title, that's a $4k car in working condition. The part itself is $1,100, unless you're going to try to rebuild the actuator: then the motor itself is $600, and that's not even a guarantee for fixing . And a used one is $700-800. After the brake bleed and everything, you just spent 1/4 of the value of the car. You might still get $4k for the broken car, but you're definitely never getting that $1,000 back.
This may all be true but you do not mention vehicle replacement cost or opportunity cost in your assessment.

The OP could dump the Lexus and get an Accord with a loan. He might pay $300/month or $3,600/year. That is at least a few grand more than the actuator replacement. Also, he'd have to pay that $300/month for the next 5 years. If the Lexus didn't need any other special repairs, other than normal wear items, in the next 5 years, then he'd be even further ahead simply replacing the actuator. Also, once he's spent that $3,600/year, it means he can no longer invest that money, so there is an opportunity cost associated with this choice as well. Lastly, that brand new Accord might not be as nice as the LS460 with 175k on it. Depends on the condition of his Lexus vehicle.

Sure, who doesn't like a brand new car? But just remember, cars are not assets, they are liabilities and all cars cost money to keep on the road . . .

Old 05-11-19, 09:23 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

@abs

Wow! Nicely put. I have no intentions on purchasing a new car. The LS is in great condition and will run for another 100k miles. If anything, it might be my 15 year olds first car next year.

I’ve been around cars my whole life, my dad sold cars for over 30 years and I’ve had a least 30 cars since turning 16. At this point in my life, with a wife and 4 kids. I would rather drive a car without a car payment and use my excess cash to build another project car or fun toy. I just paid off all my debt and built a new house, not looking to dump the car and jump into a car payment.
The following 5 users liked this post by Gjohnson:
DavidinCT (06-14-19), icon901 (06-12-19), LS460Crown (11-13-19), Nospinzone (05-13-19), PackmanJim (05-29-19)
Old 05-12-19, 04:55 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
@abs

Wow! Nicely put. I have no intentions on purchasing a new car. The LS is in great condition and will run for another 100k miles. If anything, it might be my 15 year olds first car next year.

I’ve been around cars my whole life, my dad sold cars for over 30 years and I’ve had a least 30 cars since turning 16. At this point in my life, with a wife and 4 kids. I would rather drive a car without a car payment and use my excess cash to build another project car or fun toy. I just paid off all my debt and built a new house, not looking to dump the car and jump into a car payment.

Smart man!
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (05-13-19)

Quick Reply: Brake Drama