LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thank you and until next time

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 05:52 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i hope this isn’t a regretful impulse buy, anyways cl will always be here if you get another L, good luck.
Old 07-19-19, 11:15 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Which Tesla did you buy?
Old 07-19-19, 03:15 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 373 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
It took almost two months but the LS 460 changed hands about 2 hours ago for $22,000. It is a bittersweet moment and our whole family is sad to see it go. It was hard to let go up to the very end. The buyer even joked whether I really wanted him to buy it because I was pointing out the curb rash on the wheels, the small PDR dent on the driver's rear door, the repainted hood, coolant leak repair, etc. He could tell we took good care of the car. We hope the LS serves him and his family well.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice over the years. CL is indeed a very special forum. I have not come across a forum with quite a knowledge base and members so eager to genuinely help one another. As much as Tesla owners love their cars, the forum itself has an abundance of egos and snarky comments rather than helpful replies. All the best to CLers out there!
Best of luck to you in your Tesla! You left out some huge things that many of us would like to know.....what model did you get, what color is it, year, mileage, etc? You were looking at all of their models at one point so curious what you settled on. Also, I'd love to know your take on the Tesla purchase experience (I hear buying used is different than what we're all accustomed to) and please keep us updated on ownership experience. Enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (07-21-19)
Old 07-19-19, 03:19 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by riknchar
This is a classic reminder to everyone that depreciation is by far the largest cost associated with owning an LS! Father-to-1 negotiated a decent deal in March of 2017 on his 2013 Ultra-Lux LS460 (paying $39.5k). He was able to sell it after months of advertising to a private party for $22k (it would have been more like $17-18k had he traded it in like most of us would do out of laziness and expediency). So his cost of ownership over 28 months was $17,500 (around $7500 a year) - pretty steep, but remember that he bought the car after it had already depreciated for 4 years, and had lost more than half it's value already! Think how much the original owner paid per year!

My point is that we spend countless hours on this forum agonizing over the potential cost of replacing the batteries in the LS600hL ($5k), or a brake actuator ($3k), or an Air Shock ($1k per corner) while the true big-ticket cost (depreciation) goes by without much discussion.

This is why, in my mind, the absolute best value to be had in an LS is in an older version (2010-2012) that has been well maintained and is in terrific condition. These cars, while definitely lacking a couple of nice-to-have upgrades, are insane values at the $12-18k price they are currently commanding. You can drive one of these cars for 5 years and only see depreciation of $5-8k total! So even if you have to spend money on a couple of pricy repairs, you're still WAY better off than with virtually any other luxury car on the planet.

I bought my current LS600hL last year for $27.5k. It originally stickered at $126k (so you do the math on that depreciation curve for the original owner - OUCH!). I spent $3k on a 6-year CNA "bumper-to-bumper" warranty (to control my potential repair costs). I plan to happily drive the wheels off my LS600 for the next 5 years while it's covered under warranty, and when I'm done, might be able to sell it for $8-10k or so. So my cost of ownership of this AMAZING car will end up being somewhere in the ball park of $20k. So over 6 years, this ultimate Lexus Flagship will cost me around $3.5k per year, which is actually less than I'd expect to spend on a decent Accord or Camry over 6 years of ownership.

Just some food for thought...
Very well said and I agree 100%. I was just thinking about his car - I bought my 2010 460L 2 1/2 years ago with 70k miles for $22k. If I fast forward to today, and was shopping for a car of the same age vs. a brand new model year, it would be a 2013 like his. And he sold it for $22k (with more miles). Ultimately things are worth what the market is willing to pay. The person buying his car is getting an insane value - not just because the LS is a lot of car for that price, but also because we all know how much the owner cared for the car.
Old 07-21-19, 05:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

@lextout , I am already having second thoughts now that Tesla has removed free Supercharging on all their used inventory. The change literally happened yesterday. I had my eye on a red Model X with white interior. It had all the options too and was priced right, included free Supercharging, plus additional warranty, except it was located in Massachusetts and I didn't want to deal with the exposure to salted roads over there. If only I pulled the trigger. Sigh. Oh well, will keep looking. Free lifetime Supercharging is still transferable for pre-Jan 2017 Model S/X if you buy from private party or non-Tesla dealer. Disappointing that you lose that perk if you buy direct from Tesla.

@Kuhan , we have not purchased yet but the sale of the LS 460 brings us one step closer to Tesla ownership. We are looking for a 2016 Model X 90D in red, with white interior, 6-seater. In the meantime, I'm back behind the wheel of my former 2006 LS 430 -- borrowing it from my Dad. It is now due for an oil change since I last parted with it in March 2017; Dad has basically only driven it 5000 miles and the odometer is now at 69K. The 430 is still very quiet and that velvety purr of the V8 is so smooth.
Old 07-21-19, 05:50 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Best of luck to you in your Tesla! You left out some huge things that many of us would like to know.....what model did you get, what color is it, year, mileage, etc? You were looking at all of their models at one point so curious what you settled on. Also, I'd love to know your take on the Tesla purchase experience (I hear buying used is different than what we're all accustomed to) and please keep us updated on ownership experience. Enjoy it!
Thanks for the well-wishes, @jrmckinley . I will report back on what the buying experience is like. So far, from conversations with OA (Owner Advisors) and Marketing Advisors, the used process goes something like this:
  1. Find a car you like and pay the $2500 deposit.
  2. A Delivery rep will contact you shortly after to schedule orientation and delivery of the vehicle.
  3. If you use Tesla's $2000 transport service then they will deliver it to the nearest Service Center or the Fremont Delivery Center (near HQ). No delivery to your door.
  4. If you inspect the car and refuse delivery then you can just transfer your deposit to another car (it used to not be so easy to transfer deposit and there was a real risk you lost your deposit; glad they changed their policy).
  5. They expect 10% downpayment and you can finance with Tesla or secure your own financing. You also pay TTL, it doesn't get rolled into the total price like a new car.

I will report back once I've gone through the whole experience. I initially scheduled a test drive 7/20/2019, as recommended by the Tesla for Sale by Owners Facebook group, in hopes to get a hands-on comparison between 6 vs 7 seater. It has been challenging finding a local 7-seater X to show my family. I have sat in both a 6 and 7 seater but wanted my family to experience it too before making a final decision. I loved the 7 seater on paper but hated it in person. And it complicates things further with Tesla offering two types of 7 seaters -- 2016 7-seater is powered seats but second row cannot fold flat whereas mid-2017-and-later 7-seater second row can fold flat but are manual seats. Anyways, I got sidetracked... a Tesla rep called a couple days ago to confirm my test drive appointment. I mentioned I don't need to test drive it and just want to show my family the 7-seat configuration. They only had the 5-seat configuration available to show! Sigh. Once he learned I was looking for a used X it felt like he wanted to end our conversation quickly. Guess it isn't worth his time if I'm not buying from their new inventory. He did get my in touch with an OA that send a few links to cars that almost fit our criteria. For now, the search continues.

Old 07-21-19, 06:50 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
This is a classic reminder to everyone that depreciation is by far the largest cost associated with owning an LS! Father-to-1 negotiated a decent deal in March of 2017 on his 2013 Ultra-Lux LS460 (paying $39.5k). He was able to sell it after months of advertising to a private party for $22k (it would have been more like $17-18k had he traded it in like most of us would do out of laziness and expediency). So his cost of ownership over 28 months was $17,500 (around $7500 a year) - pretty steep, but remember that he bought the car after it had already depreciated for 4 years, and had lost more than half it's value already! Think how much the original owner paid per year!

My point is that we spend countless hours on this forum agonizing over the potential cost of replacing the batteries in the LS600hL ($5k), or a brake actuator ($3k), or an Air Shock ($1k per corner) while the true big-ticket cost (depreciation) goes by without much discussion.

This is why, in my mind, the absolute best value to be had in an LS is in an older version (2010-2012) that has been well maintained and is in terrific condition. These cars, while definitely lacking a couple of nice-to-have upgrades, are insane values at the $12-18k price they are currently commanding. You can drive one of these cars for 5 years and only see depreciation of $5-8k total! So even if you have to spend money on a couple of pricy repairs, you're still WAY better off than with virtually any other luxury car on the planet.

I bought my current LS600hL last year for $27.5k. It originally stickered at $126k (so you do the math on that depreciation curve for the original owner - OUCH!). I spent $3k on a 6-year CNA "bumper-to-bumper" warranty (to control my potential repair costs). I plan to happily drive the wheels off my LS600 for the next 5 years while it's covered under warranty, and when I'm done, might be able to sell it for $8-10k or so. So my cost of ownership of this AMAZING car will end up being somewhere in the ball park of $20k. So over 6 years, this ultimate Lexus Flagship will cost me around $3.5k per year, which is actually less than I'd expect to spend on a decent Accord or Camry over 6 years of ownership.

Just some food for thought...
Just going by your math, his cost of ownership over 28 months was $17,500 which equates to $625 a month. I don't find that steep at all. I think this is personally very reasonable assuming I bought for cash and wasn't making payments. This is one heck of a car for $625 a month and a lot cheaper than leasing one. Sure you could put the cash somewhere else and get a return of maybe 4% so add that in but still pretty reasonable for the caliber of car. There are some far inferior cars out there leasing for that price or more. If you get one CPO and loose similar depreciation you're getting an even better deal as you will have limited out of pocket expenses. I bought my 2011 CPO and extended it to 4 years CPO warranty with all prepaid maintenance. I've had the car almost 3 years and have shelled out a total of $40 for wiper blades plus the prepaid oil changes when I bought it.

Last edited by LS430FL; 07-21-19 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 06:52 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

@lextout , I am already having second thoughts now that Tesla has removed free Supercharging on all their used inventory. The change literally happened yesterday. I had my eye on a red Model X with white interior. It had all the options too and was priced right, included free Supercharging, plus additional warranty, except it was located in Massachusetts and I didn't want to deal with the exposure to salted roads over there. If only I pulled the trigger. Sigh. Oh well, will keep looking. Free lifetime Supercharging is still transferable for pre-Jan 2017 Model S/X if you buy from private party or non-Tesla dealer. Disappointing that you lose that perk if you buy direct from Tesla.

@Kuhan , we have not purchased yet but the sale of the LS 460 brings us one step closer to Tesla ownership. We are looking for a 2016 Model X 90D in red, with white interior, 6-seater. In the meantime, I'm back behind the wheel of my former 2006 LS 430 -- borrowing it from my Dad. It is now due for an oil change since I last parted with it in March 2017; Dad has basically only driven it 5000 miles and the odometer is now at 69K. The 430 is still very quiet and that velvety purr of the V8 is so smooth.
Wonder what the betting odds are that you end up back in a 430 instead of a Tesla....?!! I do miss that 430 engine compared to the 460.

What are the costs associated with paying for super charging instead of finding a vehicle that has it included?
Old 07-21-19, 08:09 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Keep us updated. I do see many Xs driving around here in Chicago and when I was in California last week. How long are you planning to keep the X? Good luck with your search!
Old 07-22-19, 08:08 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Just going by your math, his cost of ownership over 28 months was $17,500 which equates to $625 a month. I don't find that steep at all. I think this is personally very reasonable assuming I bought for cash and wasn't making payments. This is one heck of a car for $625 a month and a lot cheaper than leasing one. Sure you could put the cash somewhere else and get a return of maybe 4% so add that in but still pretty reasonable for the caliber of car. There are some far inferior cars out there leasing for that price or more. If you get one CPO and loose similar depreciation you're getting an even better deal as you will have limited out of pocket expenses. I bought my 2011 CPO and extended it to 4 years CPO warranty with all prepaid maintenance. I've had the car almost 3 years and have shelled out a total of $40 for wiper blades plus the prepaid oil changes when I bought it.
I think $625 per month is fairly high, but is definitely much better than the hit you take if you buy a new LS (or any other new luxury car). The main point I was trying to make, though, was to point out how concerned we all seem to be about the unexpected pricey repairs that can crop up with LS ownership (air suspension, brake actuators, etc.) while mostly ignoring the "elephant in the room" (depreciation) which costs us way more than the repairs do. To me, that makes driving a 2010 LS600hL (a $126k car) at a cost of only around $3k per year so incredibly attractive. My car has LKA, radar cruise control, 4-zone heating/cooling, executive seating with recline/ottoman and Shiatzu massage... It rides like a dream and looks like a brand new car. This has to be one of the best bargains in a used luxury car today! I actually prefer the exterior style of the 2010s to the 2013+ LS's also, so win-win!
The following users liked this post:
ALK (07-22-19)
Old 07-22-19, 01:02 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

When I bought our ‘08 w/rebuilt title, I was only hoping our cost per year was going to be around $3k. After 2.5 years/41k miles, we are well on our way to accomplish that. Car currently has 131k miles, and required ~$1k in unexpected repairs (O2 sensor and leaky fuel pump gaskets), putting our total cost (purchase + unexpected expenses) right around $15k. If we get another couple years of relatively trouble free operation, I can literally drop it off at a junk yard and be content.
Old 07-22-19, 01:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

@lextout , I am already having second thoughts now that Tesla has removed free Supercharging on all their used inventory. The change literally happened yesterday. I had my eye on a red Model X with white interior. It had all the options too and was priced right, included free Supercharging, plus additional warranty, except it was located in Massachusetts and I didn't want to deal with the exposure to salted roads over there.
As a lifelong New Englander, I wouldn't let that deter you on a relatively new car. Prolonged exposure to salt roads in winter can do a job on a car. My wife's 2001 Jag S-Type has some serious rust problems and my beloved 1995 Inifiniti Q45a finally gave up the ghost due to rust. I don't know how many winters that car has been through, but if it is only one or two, I wouldn't be concerned. Also even a car exposed to regular winter salt,won't feel ill effects for at least 8 to 10 years, by then you'll be out of it!
Old 07-23-19, 07:50 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
As a lifelong New Englander, I wouldn't let that deter you on a relatively new car. Prolonged exposure to salt roads in winter can do a job on a car. My wife's 2001 Jag S-Type has some serious rust problems and my beloved 1995 Inifiniti Q45a finally gave up the ghost due to rust. I don't know how many winters that car has been through, but if it is only one or two, I wouldn't be concerned. Also even a car exposed to regular winter salt,won't feel ill effects for at least 8 to 10 years, by then you'll be out of it!
I live in the Midwest, and salt/brine on the roads is a very common occurrence in the winter here. My 2010 LS600hL has been in Omaha "all its life" which would seem to bode badly for rust. However, the car's underside still looks great! I personally don't drive it during the sloppy winter months (I have a leased truck to take the salt), but I'm guessing the first owner probably did.

I honestly don't think I can recall ever seeing a post on this forum that talked about rust issues on an LS... While it does make perfect intuitive sense that a "rust belt" car would be less desirable than one from the south, it doesn't seem that our cars are very prone to rust issues (must be factory rust-proofed extremely well), based on this forum.
Old 07-23-19, 08:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Best of luck to you buddy, we'll miss you here. My guess is you'll be back

What I find interesting is $625 a month is about what my 2017 LS460L lease costs me after the tax savings of writing off the lease
Old 07-23-19, 08:48 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Best of luck to you buddy, we'll miss you here. My guess is you'll be back

What I find interesting is $625 a month is about what my 2017 LS460L lease costs me after the tax savings of writing off the lease
Yep! I'm a big fan of leasing (vs buying new). I'm leasing a 2018 Ram 1500 truck that had a sticker price of $48k. I'm paying $250 a month (including all taxes), and I put $0 down when I got it. Can't be beat! Wish Lexus would lease their cars this cheaply! The Lexus leases have never been all that great, in my opinion, though still probably attractive compared to buying, especially for people like Steve who can write off the lease payment as a business expense.

Quick Reply: Thank you and until next time