LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Things I did to my Ls460 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 11:25 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger

I applied Shin-Etsu silicone grease on all the door gaskets. I took my time doing it, and needed over an hour to get all the rubber pieces. I really appreciate the triple door seals on this car, and applied the grease to every one of them. In previous applications, I missed the outermost seals (visible in the crack between the fender panel and the front door, and between the front and rear doors) but not today. After I was all cleaned up, I realized that I forgot about the moon roof gaskets
Can you please post couple of pics of the area you applied Shin-Etsu grease? Do you recommend on 4 year old car (MY16)?
Old 07-12-20, 01:59 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan117
Can you please post couple of pics of the area you applied Shin-Etsu grease? Do you recommend on 4 year old car (MY16)?
i have found it to make no difference. Leaves a white residue behind.
Old 07-12-20, 05:26 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
You are to apply it and then wipe it off. Not just put it on and leave it. It will help soften the rubber. I've been using it on my past cars and after 12 years on my old LS430 using it every year, the rubber felt like brand new and it helped stop win noise when I sold it with 244K miles on it.

I swear by it, and others do for a reason....

Yesterday, I added Android Auto to my LS, long process but, dam, very cool
Old 07-12-20, 05:33 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by roshko
-Spent about 10 hours peeling off the factory clearbra and removing the adhesive
Can I ask, why did you remove it ? Mine has seen better days and I have been thinking about it.

I do put on a lot of highway miles. My 2001 LS430 didn't have one, when I sold it, it looked like swiss cheese from all the rock chips. My 2007 had one and after over 200K miles, it still didn't even have 1 rock chip that I could see. It's why I am afraid to remove mine and do not really want to spend $500-700 to install another one...
Old 07-12-20, 05:41 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
It does leave a residue on the rubber as well as on the metal surfaces that the weather stripping gaskets contact. I haven't been wiping it off as Dave below says, but the residue doesn't bother me as I can't see it unless the door is open. I cannot prove that the grease helps reduce noise. But it definitely keeps the rubber soft and supple, and should prevent cracking, which is a good thing in the long run.

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
You are to apply it and then wipe it off. Not just put it on and leave it. It will help soften the rubber. I've been using it on my past cars and after 12 years on my old LS430 using it every year, the rubber felt like brand new and it helped stop win noise when I sold it with 244K miles on it.
I apply the grease sparingly. It's a "pain" applying it, especially covering all the hard-to-reach sections, so haven't bothered wiping it off.

I would like to think it makes a difference with noise reduction. After all the hard work, my brain definitely wants to hear the difference, but I haven't tested it per se!
Old 07-12-20, 05:51 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spartan117
You can use it on even a new car, why not? In the midwest with harsh winters, the grease definitely helps keep the rubber soft, and that should help seal the doors better. I have noted the three door seal points in different colors in the photo below. Most of the weather stripping is on the doors. But there is one rubber stripping (yellow) that runs the length of the car frame between the two wheel wells. I will take a couple of pics later to show the pink gasket better, as well as the rubber section I was missing previously.

Old 07-12-20, 07:01 AM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

You can use it on even a new car, why not? In the midwest with harsh winters, the grease definitely helps keep the rubber soft, and that should help seal the doors better. I have noted the three door seal points in different colors in the photo below. Most of the weather stripping is on the doors. But there is one rubber stripping (yellow) that runs the length of the car frame between the two wheel wells. I will take a couple of pics later to show the pink gasket better, as well as the rubber section I was missing previously.

Very helpful, thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-14-20)
Old 07-12-20, 09:30 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 256 Posts

I uploaded a couple vids, cold start and a chill drive by.

lwphat66 (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 12:44 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Finally went ahead and installed a hitch to haul a 4-bike rack. I didn’t want to put a hitch but I used a 3-bike trunk mount and didn’t really like it.

I went with Curt hitch and Inno Aero 4-bike hitch mounted rack. I’m waiting for the Inno to arrive.

ItalianMf9 (10-23-20)
Old 07-12-20, 01:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

That's a really clean install of the hitch. It takes up a lot of space. Did you have to cut or trim anything behind the bumper to make the hitch fit?

It will be quite a sight to see the Lexus flagship transporting bikes on a hitch! I haven't seen any flagship car in all my travels used in this manner!
Old 07-12-20, 01:52 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

That's a really clean install of the hitch. It takes up a lot of space. Did you have to cut or trim anything behind the bumper to make the hitch fit?

It will be quite a sight to see the Lexus flagship transporting bikes on a hitch! I haven't seen any flagship car in all my travels used in this manner!
A couple members on here have hitches on their LS too.

I had to trim the plastic undershroud but no trim needed on the bumper. It’s a nice design for sure but it only comes in 1 1/4” receiver.

Old 07-12-20, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
So, the grease in and of itself makes no difference. Cleaning the seals and conditioning them to keep them soft and pliable absolutely does make a difference. You can go about doing that multiple ways, this grease is one of the ways.

Those seals get dried out within just a year or so and you can tell a difference once they are cleaned and conditioned.
Old 07-12-20, 04:50 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Finally went ahead and installed a hitch to haul a 4-bike rack. I didn’t want to put a hitch but I used a 3-bike trunk mount and didn’t really like it.

I went with Curt hitch and Inno Aero 4-bike hitch mounted rack. I’m waiting for the Inno to arrive.

Sweet! Couple hours job?
Old 07-12-20, 05:16 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Drove 500 miles over the weekend.

​I miss driving my LS due to WFH so made a couple of day trips. What a pleasure ride it was!!!

​​​​​​Aoudad (wild sheep) was shocked to see an LS on safari (Fossil Rim, a safari like experience near Glen Rose, TX). Kids and DW had a blast feeding the animals off the car and watching them so close. The best part: Feeding giffare from the sun roof.

Someone is shocked to see an LS!

The following 2 users liked this post by Spartan117:
ALK (07-12-20), Kuhan (07-13-20)
Old 07-12-20, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

You’re brave! I wouldn’t let those horns anywhere near my LS lol
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Boomin (07-12-20), DavidinCT (07-13-20)

Quick Reply: Things I did to my Ls460 today