LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any tips for replacing rain sensor gel pad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19 | 11:22 AM
DrMikeinPD
Rookie

Default Any tips for replacing rain sensor gel pad?

I just got a new Pilkington windshield installed and the AUTO wiper function no longer works right. The wipers will swipe only every 30-60 seconds even in the heaviest rain. I looked at the rain sensor from the front and I see the gel pad has a bubble and some dust, so I'm hoping that replacing it with a new pad will fix the problem. That's assuming I can get it installed correctly. The YouTube videos mostly show people installing them on windshields that are off the car. I also saw one where the guy cleaned and reinstalled the old pad, but I just went ahead and ordered one off Ebay for about 16 bucks. BTW, Lexus calls it "tape" not a pad. Here is the part number: 89944-50021

I see some of you guys have replaced your gel pads, do you have any tips for how to do it right? I think I can get the sensor body off the mount OK, but I'm not sure how to get the pad fully in contact with the sensor and the windshield glass with no bubbles. Am I over-thinking this? Your advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mike in Portland

Last edited by DrMikeinPD; 05-19-19 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 05-19-19 | 11:37 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrMikeinPD
I just got a new Pilkington windshield installed and the AUTO wiper function no longer works right. The wipers will swipe only every 30-60 seconds even in the heaviest rain. I looked at the rain sensor from the front and I see the gel pad has a bubble and some dust, so I'm hoping that replacing it with a new pad will fix the problem. That's assuming I can get it installed correctly. The YouTube videos mostly show people installing them on windshields that are off the car. I also saw one where the guy cleaned and reinstalled the old pad, but I just went ahead and ordered one off Ebay for about 16 bucks. BTW, Lexus calls it "tape" not a pad. Here is the part number: 89944-50021

I see some of you guys have replaced your gel pads, do you have any tips for how to do it right? I think I can get the sensor body off the mount OK, but I'm not sure how to get the pad fully in contact with the sensor and the windshield glass with no bubbles. Am I over-thinking this? Your advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mike in Portland
Well if it was me, I would make sure the area is super clean which is easier said than done mean rubbing alcohol and more rubbing alcohol, I guess if possible I would stick the tape to the sensor and once lined up, I’ll peel off the other side of the tape? I’m guessing it’s a 2 sided tape ... depending on how it is I might pull off half then press that side and pull the rest, it probably isn’t going to be easy I suggest rubber gloves to prevent hand oil getting on the glass and just take your time, lint free materials and goo gone and alcohol to clean the area
Old 05-19-19 | 05:45 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

There are 3 or 4 different aftermarket windshield part numbers for the LS460. Sounds like they installed the wrong one.
Old 06-28-19 | 09:27 AM
DrMikeinPD
Rookie

Smile Rain Sensor Resolution

I finally got my rain sensor issue fixed and tested it in the rain. All is well and I learned a few things, mostly about windshield replacement on cars with rain sensors. Here is what I learned:

As you probably know, the rain sensor attaches to the inside of the windshield via a metal bracket that is attached to the windshield at the factory. That's why you have to tell the auto glass company that your car uses a rain sensor.

The Pilkington windshield I had installed in my 2007 LS460 last month apparently had a bracket that was only attached to the windshield at one point, not two as it should be. It was basically loose. That meant that the sensor could not be held tight to the windshield which it must be to compress the gel pad/tape that goes between them. When I got the car back the first time, I could see from outside that only about half the pad/tape was in contact with the glass and as you would expect, the sensor could not do its job.

The windshield tech who fixed the problem explained that the brackets used to be glued to the windshields, but recently, he's found them to be attached with double sided 3M tape. He felt this was done to save money at the factory, but he feels the tape is more likely to come loose after many heating/cooling cycles. He was able to remove the bracket and re-install it using mirror mounting adhesive. So if I do this again, I will ask the windshield installer to verify that the sensor bracket is firmly attached to the windshield before beginning the installation process.

As a side note, I can now confirm that Pilkington windshields work fine with rain sensors if the mounting bracket is firmly attached and you use a new gel pad/tape. Also, there is one small (3mm) bubble visible between the gel pad and the glass, but it doesn't seem to affect the function.

Mike in Portland
The following 2 users liked this post by DrMikeinPD:
Sal2030 (04-14-23), scutch (02-19-24)
Old 08-21-19 | 01:29 PM
laroph46
Driver School Candidate

Default rain sensor gel pack 2016 RX 350

My rain sensor was found dangling one morning. I read a few replies here to replace the gel pack but
they were talking about a bracket fixed to windshield. I have no bracket on my car. Is the gel pack the only thing
holding the sensor in place? What am i missing here.

Phil
Old 08-21-19 | 02:51 PM
DrMikeinPD
Rookie

Hi Phil,

No the gel pad has no adhesive qualities. It is only sandwiched in place between the sensor and the windshield. The sensor is held in place by a metal bracket that is glued to the windshield. Your bracket must be around somewhere. See if it is still attached to the sensor.

Getting the bracket re-glued to the windshield is tricky. I watched a windshield technician do it using some special glue that they use for rearview mirrors. You have to get the glass super clean, get the glue mixed and put in exactly the right place, then hold the bracket in place while you wait for the glue to set. I'm glad I didn't have to do it myself. I suggest calling a well-reviewed windshield shop to see if they would fix it for you.

Good Luck!

Mike
Old 08-21-19 | 03:00 PM
laroph46
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mike. I went back and removed the sensor and sure enough the bracket was still attached inside the bracket.
I removed the clip at the bottom to release the bracket. Now all I have to do it "try" to reattach the bracket to the window.

Phil
Old 08-23-19 | 07:35 AM
Lexus4lyf
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I'm also having rain sensor issues. I'm taking it to the dealership today to see what they say. Would the 'gel pad' be covered under CPO warranty? Do the dealerships make you pay for the gel pad when they are fixing the sensor? Because they mentioned I'd have to pay for that.
Old 02-11-24 | 05:37 AM
THEunderPSI
Driver School Candidate

I wish I could eliminate the rain sensing function and just have intermittent. Mine drive me crazy. Barely raining and the wiper speed varies constantly.
Old 02-15-24 | 12:17 PM
PianoPaul
Rookie

Originally Posted by THEunderPSI
I wish I could eliminate the rain sensing function and just have intermittent. Mine drive me crazy. Barely raining and the wiper speed varies constantly.
I can relate. Annoyingly the one thing this car doesn't have is an adjustable interval.