LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Low/No oil?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 11:46 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Lexus states in the owners manual that anything up to 1.1 quarts every 600 miles is acceptable oil consumption. 1.1 or over they tell to contact the nearest dealer for an oil consumption test. So Lexus had the engine built, tested and produced with all this in mind. Now I don't like the fact that the scary LOW ENGINE OIL light comes on btw 3-4k miles into a 5k oil change but according to the manufacturer this is normal. If you don't like what Lexus deems normal your free to get rid of the car and try another manufacturers normal. From what I've read lots of these newer engines burn a certain amount of oil and it's considered normal throughout the industry. I keep 5 gallon jugs around so I can top up the oil and just keep driving my car. FYI my 400 never burned oil but that engine can't even compare to the 460.
The consumption clause is written by lawyers and not engineers. A high precision engine like the one in the 460 should not burn much more than 0.5 every 10k miles. Ie no topping up between changes.

You can can keep believing your engine is normal. That’s fine by me.
The following users liked this post:
jkittlesen (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 02:58 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Gents, more often than not - it's the fuel pump seals. There a DIY thread that has worked as a stop-gap for me until I sell the car in a year or so
mrbuddy (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 04:02 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

The consumption clause is written by lawyers and not engineers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I did not know that. Can I ask you to provide your source your for opinion?

a simple internet link directing me to where you read this, thank you
Old 05-21-19, 04:10 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
The consumption clause is written by lawyers and not engineers. A high precision engine like the one in the 460 should not burn much more than 0.5 every 10k miles. Ie no topping up between changes.

You can can keep believing your engine is normal. That’s fine by me.
Then why respond if it's fine by YOU???? I never said I believe it's normal but it is common or we would not see these threads pop up from time to time. The lawyers wrote it and gave a specific amount when you should get concerned. My 2 400s never burned oil and neither did the 430 for the brief time I had it. I fall into the category of high speed with frequent bursts of acceleration so I can accept some oil burn. My GS burns oil too. You can either accept some oil burn or move to another vehicle that does not burn oil. There is no fix if your vehicles already burns oil which has been discussed in depth on this forum also.
Old 05-21-19, 06:03 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

He gave his opinion, why are folks so sensitive these days ?

Water off a ducks back!

I love back and forth banter .............it makes the forum enjoyable!

Would you prefer we all thought and acted the same?

Difference of attitude and opinion.............here here !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-19, 08:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

The LS460 holds about 9 liters of oil. When my oil light came on and I checked the dipstick, it was bone-dry. Adding less than 2 liters of oil would bring the level back to full. Yes...you should check your oil level more regularly on the LS because of the common consumption issue. Suggesting however, that you're destroying your engine on 7 quarts of oil vs 9, is overly dramatic.

I also agree that recent activity on this forum has taken a drastic turn over the last year or so. Members here are becoming very confrontational. Not sure if it's the changing demographics of those purchasing the LS's as they go down in price, but......
sha4000 (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 10:51 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by roadfrog
The LS460 holds about 9 liters of oil. When my oil light came on and I checked the dipstick, it was bone-dry. Adding less than 2 liters of oil would bring the level back to full. Yes...you should check your oil level more regularly on the LS because of the common consumption issue. Suggesting however, that you're destroying your engine on 7 quarts of oil vs 9, is overly dramatic.

I also agree that recent activity on this forum has taken a drastic turn over the last year or so. Members here are becoming very confrontational. Not sure if it's the changing demographics of those purchasing the LS's as they go down in price, but......
No, it's because you sold your car and these folks think you left the forum. Come on Man. They lack respect for us nowadays.
roadfrog (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 05:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
No, it's because you sold your car and these folks think you left the forum. Come on Man. They lack respect for us nowadays.
LOL. yeah...kids these days.....
fwhomeboy (05-22-19)
Old 05-23-19, 04:05 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
The consumption clause is written by lawyers and not engineers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I did not know that. Can I ask you to provide your source your for opinion?

a simple internet link directing me to where you read this, thank you
You will have to get your hands on the class action lawsuits transcript against manufactures. Toyota loss a case against their 2az-fe engines.
Old 09-03-19, 02:00 PM
Ulis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typos

Hello to all, I am a new member. I want to start a new thread but I just don’t know how to navigate the website. I decided to
just join this “Low Oil” forum to share my experience. I bought a brand new 2019 GX 460 not too long ago.
I had my first oil change a week ago from a Lexus dealership here in California. I was driving my car Day after the oil change
when my dashboard flashed the “Engine Oil Low”. I stopped the car and pulled the dipstick out, the oil is just on the
first hole of the dipstick. I called the dealership and told them about it , they asked me to go back to the dealership so they can check my car out. They admitted that it was “under filled” with oil. I was so furious at the same time frustrated, I told them to document everything and give me copies of their incompetence. They performed diagnostic tests and found that the car is OK. I drove the car about 40 miles with low engine oil, I am afraid it damaged the engine to some extent. I am planning to demand an extended warranty to my car for their incompetence. Please free to share/comment about your take re my situation. Thanks.

Last edited by Ulis; 09-03-19 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-03-19, 02:58 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is just common sense to a car guy, but here goes. A long time ago I started the practice of checking the dip stick as soon as I left the place that changed the oil. In addition for several days afterward I paid particular attention to the garage floor for leaks (filter not on correctly, drain plug not on correctly).
This may seem excessive, but it is not. Garage didn’t replace the oil cap on my truck, oil shot out the top, noticed when it started to smoke on the hot engine.
TWICE the Nissan dealer under filled the oil on my wife’s Pathfinder. Complained loudly. Same car same dealer, noticed oil on garage floor, filter not on right.
Never went back. Should have learned my lesson quicker.
Old 09-03-19, 04:38 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Ulis,

you have absolutely no reason to worry about damage to your engine

these cars hold some 8 quarts of oil and the check low oil light is designed to come on when it
is time to add a quart or two, the fact that your oil registered at the low level on the dipstick
just means add some oil and it does not mean its too late this engine has suffered damage

as for your contention that the level was under filled to begin with, well that is just no checking the level
to verify filled properly afterwards, and I agree that would **** me off too
and that is just one reason I never have service done at the dealer and trust my indy local mechanic
Old 09-04-19, 03:23 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ulis
Hello to all, I am a new member. I want to start a new thread but I just don’t know how to navigate the website. I decided to
just join this “Low Oil” forum to share my experience. I bought a brand new 2019 GX 460 not too long ago.
I had my first oil change a week ago from a Lexus dealership here in California. I was driving my car Day after the oil change
when my dashboard flashed the “Engine Oil Low”. I stopped the car and pulled the dipstick out, the oil is just on the
first hole of the dipstick. I called the dealership and told them about it , they asked me to go back to the dealership so they can check my car out. They admitted that it was “under filled” with oil. I was so furious at the same time frustrated, I told them to document everything and give me copies of their incompetence. They performed diagnostic tests and found that the car is OK. I drove the car about 40 miles with low engine oil, I am afraid it damaged the engine to some extent. I am planning to demand an extended warranty to my car for their incompetence. Please free to share/comment about your take re my situation. Thanks.
Thats why I change my own oil. I know the quantity and quality of the oil in my engine. My 2007 LS with a 150K miles does not burn any oil - I have done 29 oil changes and always measure the amount of oil I drain from the engine. The dealer did the first oil change and was very sloppy.

Now that my wife drives 6 or 7K miles a year, I check the dipstick once every 6 or so months.

Any engine burning more than 10% of its oil between oil changes would give me heartburn. None of my high mileage engines burned oil.
Old 02-21-20, 07:18 AM
bmwmtrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Low or Burning Oil Problem is Stated in Owners Manual

I know this is an ongoing discussion, but I just want to add that this problem is stated in your owners manual that the car will burn oil. It does say when or how long before you will need to add it. My guess is that Lexus has known about this for some time and stating it in their manual(s) gives them a way out. (2008 LS460 is my vehicle). My recommendation is to use motor treatment products like Lucas, Berryman and yes, even WalMarts Motor treatment (might be under Syntech label but it does work). These will extend the duration between frequent adds of oil to your vehicle.

Quick Reply: Low/No oil?!?