LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Checking coolant level

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 08:44 AM
Richardgil
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Checking coolant level

With all of my cars I frequently check the oil level and coolant level, I always have. With my 2012 LS checking the coolant level is difficult because of the engine cover. It seems to me that removing the cover to get at the coolant reservoir is more of a deal than I want to get into on a regular basis. With a flashlight you can get a slight side view of the reservoir, but you can’t add coolant if you want to.
Any experience with this? The cover is attached to the air intake, which makes it difficult to remove.
Thanks
Old 05-22-19, 08:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardgil
With all of my cars I frequently check the oil level and coolant level, I always have. With my 2012 LS checking the coolant level is difficult because of the engine cover. It seems to me that removing the cover to get at the coolant reservoir is more of a deal than I want to get into on a regular basis. With a flashlight you can get a slight side view of the reservoir, but you can’t add coolant if you want to.
Any experience with this? The cover is attached to the air intake, which makes it difficult to remove.
Thanks
With a funnel, it's easy. That's how I added coolant. No need to remove anything.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 03:48 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Default Add to coolant

My question may be better put this way : Must you remove the engine cover to add coolant?
Old 05-22-19, 04:22 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

roadfrog is from Canada and can be difficult lots of snowflakes fall up there!

You do not have to but it is an easy process, plus it is good to check other components!

Last edited by jkittlesen; 05-22-19 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roadfrog (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 04:49 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Default Add coolant level

If you don’t have to remove the cover, then how do you add coolant with the cover on? Thanks
Old 05-22-19, 05:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. I thought I was being clear when I answered "NO NEED TO REMOVE ANYTHING". Maybe my Canadian accent is getting lost in translation.

So.......to reiterate....no need to remove the engine cover. If you look under the cover, you'll see the expansion tank. A funnel will reach it. You can even remove the reservoir cap without removing the cover.

But hey....if ya WANNA remove the cover, go ahead. But be forewarned, it MAY add an additional 26.7 seconds to the job.
Old 05-22-19, 05:32 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Thanks. I love cars but am not real good at working on them, but love to play around, for years changed the oil did lube jobs, plugs, thermostats etc. At this point if I don’t have to remove the cover it’s good with me.
Looks to me that you almost have to be a contortionist to get the cap off of the reservoir with the cover on. If you get the cap off what do you do wiggle a hose from a funnel into the reservoir to add coolant?
Help me!
Thanks
Old 05-22-19, 06:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. I love cars but am not real good at working on them, but love to play around, for years changed the oil did lube jobs, plugs, thermostats etc. At this point if I don’t have to remove the cover it’s good with me.
Looks to me that you almost have to be a contortionist to get the cap off of the reservoir with the cover on. If you get the cap off what do you do wiggle a hose from a funnel into the reservoir to add coolant?
Help me!
Thanks
Well, I didn't say it wasn't tight. LOL. But yeah...you just need to reach under there and unscrew the cap. Then insert the funnel and pour carefully and slowly. I did it MANY times (because I had a water pump leak that took me a while to sort out).
Old 05-22-19, 06:25 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Thanks. I’ll try it. Goes without saying, as much as I love the car, bad design. Should be as accessible as windshield washer reservoir and the add oil cap.
Thanks.
With my luck, I’ll drop the cap and lose it putting it back on.
Old 05-22-19, 08:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. I’ll try it. Goes without saying, as much as I love the car, bad design. Should be as accessible as windshield washer reservoir and the add oil cap.
Thanks.
With my luck, I’ll drop the cap and lose it putting it back on.
You'll be fine. Just use one hand to hold up the cover and the other hand to remove cap. If you'd rather, remove the cover. It's easy. I just could never be bothered. I do have small hands....but that's a whole other issue.....
Old 05-23-19, 07:04 AM
Richardgil
Rookie

Default Coolant

Just to clarify, on the 2012 LS the part of the engine cover that is over the reservoir is attached to air intakes, it doesn’t just lift off when you take the pushpins out. That is primarily why I didn’t want to get involved in removing the cover.
I don’t know if the other years of the LS models have attached covers over the reservoir.