LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unicorn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19 | 10:45 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
How did you know this had a $1000 dealer fee? lol
under their fine print. $999.95

Pricing analysis performed on 7/31/2019. Horsepower calculations based on trim engine configuration. Please confirm the accuracy of the included equipment by calling us prior to purchase.
- All advertised prices are with approved credit & exclude gvmt fees, FI fees, taxes, Lic, Title, Reg. Fees, State & Local Taxes & Dealer Fee of $999.95. DEALER makes no representations,expressed or implied,to any actual/prospective purchaser/owner of this vehicle as to the existence,ownership,accuracy,description or condition of listed vehicle's equipment,price,specials or warranties. Variations must be presented prior to sale. The efficiencies of e-commerce permit us to sometimes offer e-commerce consumer pricing benefits. Therefore, prices on this site may only be available to consumers who initiate their transactions via email or via this site's contact mechanism. -
Old 08-01-19 | 10:54 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonathanz
under their fine print. $999.95

Pricing analysis performed on 7/31/2019. Horsepower calculations based on trim engine configuration. Please confirm the accuracy of the included equipment by calling us prior to purchase.
- All advertised prices are with approved credit & exclude gvmt fees, FI fees, taxes, Lic, Title, Reg. Fees, State & Local Taxes & Dealer Fee of $999.95. DEALER makes no representations,expressed or implied,to any actual/prospective purchaser/owner of this vehicle as to the existence,ownership,accuracy,description or condition of listed vehicle's equipment,price,specials or warranties. Variations must be presented prior to sale. The efficiencies of e-commerce permit us to sometimes offer e-commerce consumer pricing benefits. Therefore, prices on this site may only be available to consumers who initiate their transactions via email or via this site's contact mechanism. -

Ah yes. Got it. Good eye.
Old 08-01-19 | 12:46 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
Ah yes. Got it. Good eye.
Thats the largest dealer fee I have ever seen. I typically see a range of $250 to $450. Some states cap fees too. Ouch for $1k!!!
Old 08-02-19 | 07:05 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

MMR on that car is $30,300 adjusted for mileage and region, assuming a value-neutral CR of 3.4 out of 5. If it bumped to 4.0 (which at that mileage, it certainly could) that would adjust it up to $31,400. If it's a 3.4 car, ideal buy is $32k or less. If a 4.0 car, $33k or less.
Old 08-02-19 | 07:07 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Also, that dealer fee is absolute bull****. That is nothing but pure profiteering. Any dealer pulling that crap is shady through and through.
Old 08-02-19 | 07:45 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Also, that dealer fee is absolute bull****. That is nothing but pure profiteering. Any dealer pulling that crap is shady through and through.

Yes I agree with you. I made them a fair offer which was $32,500 and they wouldn't budge from their bottom line. I even came up a little to roughly $32,700 and they said no movement on their end. I feel like I've tried to work things with them, but they refuse to work with me. I assume they don't care to sell the car. I know they're just gonna sit on it waiting for someone to pay the price and someone most likely will. Just not me. As I said, I'm in no rush to buy a car, although if they called and said they'd work with me any, I'd probably pull the trigger.

Thanks all for the comments.
Old 08-02-19 | 08:46 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
Yes I agree with you. I made them a fair offer which was $32,500 and they wouldn't budge from their bottom line. I even came up a little to roughly $32,700 and they said no movement on their end. I feel like I've tried to work things with them, but they refuse to work with me. I assume they don't care to sell the car. I know they're just gonna sit on it waiting for someone to pay the price and someone most likely will. Just not me. As I said, I'm in no rush to buy a car, although if they called and said they'd work with me any, I'd probably pull the trigger.

Thanks all for the comments.
they posted the car for sale on July 25th, they won't entertain any low offer until a car sit for a month or so... if you're in NO rush then just wait.

by the way, whatever offer you agree with them, make sure is x amount + tax only. nothing more. or you might get hit with dealer fee and pret fee, and cleaning fee..etc
Old 08-05-19 | 04:50 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Update. I'm on hold with the 14. We got closer on price, but they are terrible at service and follow up and that's something that bothers me. In the meantime, I found the same car only better with pretty much everything you can get short of it being an L and AWD (which I don't want).

It's a 16 and while it's more than I want to spend, it's pretty nice. Price I think is high, but the sales manager is working with me somewhat. Thoughts about this car and a price range please. Here it is: F Sport
Old 08-05-19 | 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You should drive the L before you discount it. I like my L much more than I liked my SWB.
Old 08-05-19 | 06:22 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
Update. I'm on hold with the 14. We got closer on price, but they are terrible at service and follow up and that's something that bothers me. In the meantime, I found the same car only better with pretty much everything you can get short of it being an L and AWD (which I don't want).

It's a 16 and while it's more than I want to spend, it's pretty nice. Price I think is high, but the sales manager is working with me somewhat. Thoughts about this car and a price range please. Here it is: F Sport
with the 2014 you're asking service from a Toyota dealer which is tough, regarding to the 2016 what's the current price right now? i noticed the market price stated $46k on their site.
if this car is for long term i would get newer one (2016)...
Old 08-05-19 | 07:01 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You should drive the L before you discount it. I like my L much more than I liked my SWB.
I’m sure the L is a terrific car. I don’t want the extra 5” length. I’m more than pleased with my current swb.
Old 08-05-19 | 07:04 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonathanz
with the 2014 you're asking service from a Toyota dealer which is tough, regarding to the 2016 what's the current price right now? i noticed the market price stated $46k on their site.
if this car is for long term i would get newer one (2016)...
When I say service,I mean customer service. It would be nice to have someone work a deal with you without disappearing for days at a time and no communication. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. The 16 is $43 asking.
Old 08-06-19 | 04:53 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by R Z
At 43k, this car is overpriced for a 45000 mile car. It is a relatively rare F-Sport, still I think 40K is the most I would consider paying. You can analyze car values on cargurus, in addition to KBB and NADA. Here are the screenshots for this car’s VIN

Old 08-06-19 | 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you come to a point though where you have to look at how much you're "overpaying" and decide how much your time and energy is worth.

1. Do you enjoy constantly looking for cars and trying to negotiate with dealers on a national level?

2. Do you actually want to have the car and drive it and enjoy it?

If the answers to these questions are 1. no, and 2. yes then I don't think a couple thousand dollars over a "average market value" is the end of the world for the right car that has been maintained well and that you like. At the end of the day "market value" is what somebody is willing to pay, and if dealers are letting you walk on offers that you think are fair...your assessment of market value is not accurate regardless of whether it jibes with some online assessment of it or not. Car dealers understand market value too I promise you, and when they let you walk they know that they are likely to net more from somebody else...which means the price you want to pay is below market value.

If you enjoy looking around and messing with dealers then this advice is moot, but if you don't, once you get your car and are done having to deal with this you won't miss the little bit of extra money.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
comotiger (08-06-19), Kansas (08-11-19)
Old 08-06-19 | 07:08 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think you come to a point though where you have to look at how much you're "overpaying" and decide how much your time and energy is worth.

1. Do you enjoy constantly looking for cars and trying to negotiate with dealers on a national level?

2. Do you actually want to have the car and drive it and enjoy it?

If the answers to these questions are 1. no, and 2. yes then I don't think a couple thousand dollars over a "average market value" is the end of the world for the right car that has been maintained well and that you like. At the end of the day "market value" is what somebody is willing to pay, and if dealers are letting you walk on offers that you think are fair...your assessment of market value is not accurate regardless of whether it jibes with some online assessment of it or not. Car dealers understand market value too I promise you, and when they let you walk they know that they are likely to net more from somebody else...which means the price you want to pay is below market value.

If you enjoy looking around and messing with dealers then this advice is moot, but if you don't, once you get your car and are done having to deal with this you won't miss the little bit of extra money.

Well said, Steve! When I posted the above message, I was thinking about having overpaid 2-3K for my unicorn 2014 when I bought it in Feb 2016. And my answers to your questions were exactly those, NO and YES, respectively! I still occasionally wonder about not having bargained harder, but then remember all the fun I have had driving this dream car for the past 3.5 years, and instantly feel much better

Quick Reply: Unicorn?