LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clunk front right & VSC Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 10:01 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clunk front right & VSC Light

EDIT: Driver's side front end clunk. Not right.

Hi all,

A couple questions for savvier folks than me. I recently bought a 2010 air-ride enabled LS that's great, but I am chasing some stiffness in the suspension that I want to get resolved before the 30 day warranty expires from the dealer (a reputable dealer, and I'm on day 23 or so). The problem I'm experiencing is that when I roll over really average everyday rougher roads, I get a lot of rigidity coming through in the suspension and a bit of clunking/noise coming from the front end. I have also had the VSC light blink a few times in the first 500ish miles I've driven with it and under very normal driving circumstances. I'm thinking that a sensor could be dirty or going bad for the VSC, but the noises make me worries that the air shocks could be showing their age. I bought a service contract with the car through my credit union that covers ALMOST everything, but that doesn't cover the air ride shocks. Said differently, if that's the culprit I want to get it done on the dealer's dime before I rely on the warranty.

Any ideas what might be causing these symptoms? The dealer already replaced the end links when I mentioned the noise, so that's not it. I also feel like the dealer is going to balk at any major repairs to maintain profitability (if the suspension needs replacing) and do what they can to kick the can down the road and let the warranty elapse. I'm bringing the car back this Thursday for service, so I'll be interested to see what they say. Should I be bringing it to Lexus directly and have them change the oil, along with making mention of the issues? They'd then drive it and be able to do a better assessment.

TIA.

Last edited by erkelbot; 06-10-19 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Driver's side front
Old 06-10-19, 11:47 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by FunFact
I would bring it to Lexus or a reputable dealer and have them assess the problem. They can give you a quote with what is damaged, which you bring to this dealership.
That's the plan. The dealer I bought it from is a reputable dealer, but they are NOT a Lexus dealer. They also have an interesting relationship to the car in that they're responsible for footing the bill should there be a problem. I have to imagine that they would not be keen on replacing control arms or air shocks, so I am trying to bear that in mind. When I brought it in for the same thing before they replaced the SB end links (I did not note the VSC light illuminating). I'm trying to decipher if that fix was appeasement or was an actual suspected solve.

Either way, if they find nothing I'd find that a bit suspicious and would plan on bringing it over to Lexus for an oil change and a very thorough inspection.
Old 06-11-19, 07:36 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW, With your days running out I’d get it over to your Lexus dealer for a used car PDI/CPO level inspection. Then have your selling dealer look at it.
Old 06-12-19, 05:43 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you have two different issues. (1) ball joints: have the dealer check them. If your getting clunking when going very slowly, say pulling in a driveway or into the garage, that might be ball joints. (2) I think the stiffness is an issue related to your air suspension. Do you notice any difference in comfort mode versus sport mode? If not then the air suspension is not working properly. I believe it will default to the stiffest setting.
The following users liked this post:
erkelbot (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 06:22 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by LuvmyLS
I think you have two different issues. (1) ball joints: have the dealer check them. If your getting clunking when going very slowly, say pulling in a driveway or into the garage, that might be ball joints. (2) I think the stiffness is an issue related to your air suspension. Do you notice any difference in comfort mode versus sport mode? If not then the air suspension is not working properly. I believe it will default to the stiffest setting.
Good points. The suspension doesn't seem markedly different between "comfort" and "sport", so I'm having them check the air suspension. I'm thinking that might be the culprit -- or certainly worth checking very closely. I also feel more clunks at lower speed, which makes sense, but I still feel it's a symptom of the problem. I'm hoping they check the ball joints as well. On that note, since I'm basically going for blackout here ( ), I'm also asking they look into the control arms. The brakes are HYPER sensitive on the car (which I know is a function of the electronic braking instead of vacuums), but if depressed at all, they clunk. More to come. They might just say it needs an oil change. That'll send me over the edge.
Old 06-14-19, 06:17 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Update: They ran diagnostics and there is a bad wheel speed sensor for sure. They have a former Lexus tech there (it's a VW dealer) who will be evaluating it thoroughly this morning thoroughly to ensure all else checks out. I'm having them check brakes, arms, air ride, etc... If the findings come back inconclusive -- aside from a wheel speed sensor, which would not cause a clunk -- then it's time to jet over to the Lexus dealer for a very thorough inspection. My local dealer doesn't offer inspections, but they do a fairly good and thorough inspection when you have ANY work done there. That means, an oil change and a "concern" about the suspension should trigger a test drive and diagnostic.