LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bad front passenger CV axle...need to replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 06:20 PM
Discojon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad front passenger CV axle...need to replace

After a few weeks of a hard pull and vibration I found the culprit. Turns out I have had a torn book for a while. Only recently did it become really noticible when he car started pulling hard to the right. I had the car aligned twice with no improvement in performance. Tonight I was going to swap the tires up front from side to side when I noticed the CV boot. I was just going to reboot it but I reached in and the bearings are weeble wobbling all around so it's shot. I about had a heart attack when I saw how much front CV axles were! Fortunately I found a good looking used one for $135 shipped. My question is this. Does anyone have the repair manual pages for removal of the front passenger CV axle on a 2011? Also what size axle but socket do I need? I believe it it is a 39mm 12 point. Thanks!
Old 06-21-19, 01:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Amazed these "techs" could miss something as obvious as this when they align a car. I recently had my car aligned and they couldn't get it to spec. On "further evaluation", they found all of the control arm bushings were torn. How could the miss this when they got the car up on the lift, before they did the first alignment?
Old 06-23-19, 07:58 AM
Discojon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since there seems to be no diy info available on this car I went into this with a good idea of what I was getting into but no clear guide on accomplishing it. I tried removing the axle with the car on jack stands and made it all the way to removing the axle and carrier bearing. Of course the bearing was seized in the carrier, and the carrier was seized in the mount. I ended up putting the car on my lift and having to pound the inner part of the CV out with a 5 lb sledgehammer and lead pipe. Took about 30 min plus a lot of heat. After that it was cake. I can do the same job on my Subaru start to finish in about 15 min. The Lexus took a solid 3 hours...
The following users liked this post:
AlexFawly (12-26-21)