LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trying to decide between an '08 460 L and '14 460 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 08:44 AM
Tartetatin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between an '08 460 L and '14 460 SWB

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a used LS and I am trying to decide between an '08 460 L and '14 460 SWB. Both cars have the Executive Package, but I am struggling to find a website where I can go see the changes to the LS by model year.

I know that they are both 4th generation with the 460 L obviously sitting on a longer wheel base. From what I can discern, they both have air suspensions, which are a high cost item.They both appear to have the Tech package, although the Mark-Lewinson on the '08 460 L looks to be an upgrade over the '14 460. The 460 L is RWD, so it has the 1UR-FSE whereas the 460 is AWD and will have the 1UR-FE. Is there anywhere I can go to see what features I would be gaining (or losing) on the 2014 compared to the 2008? Were builds different for Canada compared to the US?

Also, is it possible to retrofit CarPlay and/or Android Auto? I know Beats Sonic was advertising a solution for Lexus vehicles a while ago, but I am not sure if it materialized.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-19, 08:56 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Both cars are a bit dated by today’s standards, but very well built. I would take the vehicle that is in the best condition. How many miles on each? I am envious of the ML in older 460’s. I have a 2013 and the ML is pretty average.
Old 07-02-19, 09:09 AM
Tartetatin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Both cars are a bit dated by today’s standards, but very well built. I would take the vehicle that is in the best condition. How many miles on each? I am envious of the ML in older 460’s. I have a 2013 and the ML is pretty average.
Can you elaborate on the dated comment? The '08 has 80,460 km and is private sale. The '14 has 55,000 km and is CPO. I could spring for a newer model, but it would mean selling my Miata and I'm trying to do the responsible thing with a baby on the way .
Old 07-02-19, 10:25 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

2014>2008

Funny, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I wanted to upgrade to a 2008-2012 "L" for the sheer road presence. Also it rare to see an "L" on the road. It wouldn't be much $$ for me to sell my 2008 SWB LS460 to get a similar year "L". In the end the move wouldn't make sense since the 2007-2012 style is a bit out dated. 2013+ has the updated look and quality control fit and finish is more superior.
Old 07-02-19, 10:30 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartetatin
Can you elaborate on the dated comment? The '08 has 80,460 km and is private sale. The '14 has 55,000 km and is CPO. I could spring for a newer model, but it would mean selling my Miata and I'm trying to do the responsible thing with a baby on the way .
Sitting in an all new redesigned vehicle makes it feel out dated to me. That’s my personal opinion though.

i absolutely hate the mouse in the 2013+ and definitely prefer the touch screen in the older 460’s. Again personal preference.

If both cars cars are about equal in appearance and wear, go for the newest. Also is a CPO.
Old 07-02-19, 10:45 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

totally up to discretion of what you like

for me I like the looks better of my older gen i have a 2010
like the interior equally
and the price difference made it a no brainer bought mine for 17 not 29k at the time

if you enjoy a little better ride the 2013 and above structure is a little more ridgid which i would have liked but its all relative

also the 2013 plus feel little smaller inside i like the openness of the 2010-12

good luck whichever one you choose make sure you go to a body shop make sure it wasn't painted before putting money down
cheers
Old 07-02-19, 10:58 AM
Tartetatin
Driver School Candidate

Wild card question: is it worth throwing the new 2019 ES 350 F-Sport into the mix? I know there are drive train differences (RWD/AWD vs FWD; silky smooth V8 vs. V6), but it looks like the new ES has been significantly updated.
Old 07-02-19, 11:01 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartetatin
Wild card question: is it worth throwing the new 2019 ES 350 F-Sport into the mix? I know there are drive train differences (RWD/AWD vs FWD; silky smooth V8 vs. V6), but it looks like the new ES has been significantly updated.
not for me and most RWD customers

the pulling of acceleration and wheel spin of the no offering of AWD of the ES is a deal breaker of what is a great car

great car but also no thank you 17k for an ls460 50k for a optioned up ES no thanks
Old 07-02-19, 11:04 AM
Tartetatin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
not for me and most RWD customers

the pulling of acceleration and wheel spin of the no offering of AWD of the ES is a deal breaker of what is a great car

great car but also no thank you 17k for an ls460 50k for a optioned up ES no thanks
Yeah, I figured as much. I've driven almost exclusively RWD cars (and when they were FWD, they were setup properly with mechanical LSDs). Off to schedule a test drive on the CPO 2014 LS 460.
Old 07-02-19, 12:05 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought an ‘07 L with 80K in December and I love it. I prefer the look of the older body and interior, and for the money, I don’t miss the few added technology features that I’m missing out on with a more current model. Control arms, and actuator are original and fully functional at 87,000 miles. The car has zero wind noise and the original owner I bought it from never had a problem with it or had the wind noise fix done. I’m sure my control arms arm on the way out, but I would expect that in a car this heavy and old. Based on what I’ve read on this forum, I’m not so sure the newer actuator and control arms are that much better. Maybe I got lucky, but this is my experience. This is all personal preference stuff. I can tell you the L generates a lot of smiles on anyone getting into that back seat.
Good luck with your decision and ultimate purchase.
Old 07-02-19, 12:15 PM
Tartetatin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Outofspec
I bought an ‘07 L with 80K in December and I love it. I prefer the look of the older body and interior, and for the money, I don’t miss the few added technology features that I’m missing out on with a more current model. Control arms, and actuator are original and fully functional at 87,000 miles. The car has zero wind noise and the original owner I bought it from never had a problem with it or had the wind noise fix done. I’m sure my control arms arm on the way out, but I would expect that in a car this heavy and old. Based on what I’ve read on this forum, I’m not so sure the newer actuator and control arms are that much better. Maybe I got lucky, but this is my experience. This is all personal preference stuff. I can tell you the L generates a lot of smiles on anyone getting into that back seat.
Good luck with your decision and ultimate purchase.
Thanks. I noticed the Genesis vehicles have been depreciating like rocks, so I've added a 2018 Genesis G80 Sport and 2017 Genesis G80 3.3 T to the test drive list.
Old 07-02-19, 01:23 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
I don’t know what you’ve read about the new actuator potentially not being an improvement, but it’s wrong.

Control arms are harder to track, because harsher roads will cause even better arms to fail, but the general trend is that you don’t see as many complaints about failures on newer models. And when you do, they usually have a lot higher miles. That being said, they’re bound to fail either way, it seems.
But it’s certainly not like the guy here I met here in town who had a 2007 with 30k miles and the bushings were all cracked and ready to be replaced.
That’s odd; I think what you’ve read is wrong. I’ve read numerous posts about newer actuator failure, the most recent being this one from the Brake Actuator Failure Poll;

“My 2006 ls460 had the actuator fail @ 75,000. The dealer replaced the actuator @79,500 in Nov. 2015. I used my extended warranty that I had purchased in April 2015.

Now June 2019, this same ls460 with 103,000 miles has another failed actuator.

Lexus won't do anything about it. And I no longer have the extended warranty. Even though there was that 'recommended service' or some kind of quasi recall for the product.

Seems odd that 2 actuator go out in the same vehicle.

Any advise? And is the vehicle deemed safe to drive without changing the actuator again? The car still drives great and I still love it.”

If you check his profile, it says he has a 2008: he must have fat fingered the keys.

i get it, I’m sure they updated the part, but they can and do still fail. Maybe not with the same frequency, but it is a complex part. In my humble opinion, control arms on a car this heavy are going to fail, “Eventually”. Eventually just hasn’t caught up with the newer models yet.

My my point is I bought. Fantastic 2007 L for $13K. I don’t know what the delta would be for a 2014 L in like condition and miles, but I got to believe it would be more than my risk of control arms and an actuator. Not to mention, At that money I could care less about depreciation. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but time will tell.

whatever the OP does, I think he should get a PPI done, and have the brake fluid changed if there’s no recent record of it.
Old 07-02-19, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

2014, not even a difficult choice IMHO. The LWB is better, but not better enough to overcome the fact that the 14 is two refreshes past the 08 and is much more modern.

With that said though, I dont believe there is any such thing as a SWB with the executive package. Both can have the Ultra Luxury package.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
aypues (07-03-19), dlbuckls10 (07-02-19)

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between an '08 460 L and '14 460 SWB