LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

cylinder misfiring in 08 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 12:56 AM
Cape600L
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnguyen528
Ok so you really want to hear this? The problem I had with motor that I posted was never found. I did the whole dealership thing and they raped me for $3600. They couldn't figure it out and wanted another $4000 to dig into it deeper or should I say dig deeper into my pockets. Well I towed the car and brought it home. Found a motor online and did an engine swap at home. That was the solution to that problem but here's the kicker. I drove this engine for 6 months and again the exact same symptoms. Misfires in the same two cylinders. I changed out everything and when there was nothing left to change I took it to a local mechanic who said he might be able to fix it. He kept it for 7 months and I finally had to tell him he's not going to be able to fix it. Brought it home and my neighbor started researching and reading up and one morning he asked me if I checked and replaced yhe head gasket. I never did that and the other mechanics never did that either. I run and order one and the next day tore down the car and swapped out the gasket. Son of a ***** fired right up with no hesitation. Didnt believe what I was seeing so I slowly drove to the freeway and dam son of a ***** starts hauling *** like it was lightning or something. Went through 2 engines and every part and 2 mechanics from dealerships and to find out it was a $80 head gasket. Dam lexus guys didn't even know what the f@^$# they were doing. I hope this will help you out in any way. There are some other things you can try but if its the same cylinders over and over again the check your head gasket.
Same problem on 2 engines??? Highly unlikely. Not questioning you, but something just sounds very off here. Coincidence?? I guess this is one of those we will never really know.
Old 03-07-22, 10:50 AM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cape600L
Same problem on 2 engines??? Highly unlikely. Not questioning you, but something just sounds very off here. Coincidence?? I guess this is one of those we will never really know.

Exact same problem on both engines! That's correct! I swear on my children's lives. It's so strange and so puzzling. I'm pretty sure that lexus doesn't train and hire mechanics that don't know what they are doing or just hire really smart and sneaky service advisors to up sell and add on hours to a labor ticket and not fix the problem right away but to milk the customers cause it's a lexus customer and they have money. Well back to the engine. I drive my car really hard. The first time the car started misfiring was when I was pushing hard on the freeway at around 110mph and the second time it was probably the same driving conditions so the blown head gasket does sound like the obvious problem but was never looked at. True to life and swear it was the same exact issues on both engines. Anybody with doubts come and see for yourself if you want.
Old 03-07-22, 02:47 PM
Hamatron63
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnguyen528
Ok so you really want to hear this? The problem I had with motor that I posted was never found. I did the whole dealership thing and they raped me for $3600. They couldn't figure it out and wanted another $4000 to dig into it deeper or should I say dig deeper into my pockets. Well I towed the car and brought it home. Found a motor online and did an engine swap at home. That was the solution to that problem but here's the kicker. I drove this engine for 6 months and again the exact same symptoms. Misfires in the same two cylinders. I changed out everything and when there was nothing left to change I took it to a local mechanic who said he might be able to fix it. He kept it for 7 months and I finally had to tell him he's not going to be able to fix it. Brought it home and my neighbor started researching and reading up and one morning he asked me if I checked and replaced yhe head gasket. I never did that and the other mechanics never did that either. I run and order one and the next day tore down the car and swapped out the gasket. Son of a ***** fired right up with no hesitation. Didn't believe what I was seeing so I slowly drove to the freeway and dam son of a ***** starts hauling *** like it was lightning or something. Went through 2 engines and every part and 2 mechanics from dealerships and to find out it was a $80 head gasket. Dam lexus guys didn't even know what the f@^$# they were doing. I hope this will help you out in any way. There are some other things you can try but if its the same cylinders over and over again the check your head gasket.
That's crazy to hear, head gaskets going on a Lexus motor is unheard of unless the engine is overheated, or so I thought. My issue, however is not coming from a specific cylinder. To provide some background info, I this all started when I got the p0012 for camshaft position retarted. As stated in the forums and from what I found online I replaced both the camshaft actuator motor, and the VVT solenoid. However this took me a few months fo do. Before, I replaced these parts the misfires started to occur, only at cold starts it would be a random misfire and multiple cylinder codes with different cylinders at every cold start. Once the engine was warm i could erase the codes and drive all day and would have no issues. Also, during this time, I got a p010f code only once which was referring to MAF sensor. I cleaned both sensors and even replaced them to see if the problem was fixed but it wasn't, after this the MAF code never returned. Long story short, the camshaft code never returned after the motor was replaced, and the misfire is still happening. A few theories I had were maybe the camshaft motor was not replaced in time which caused the problem to get worse or even timing to get affected. As the mechanic who installed the camshaft actuator said my timing chain was way too loose then it should be?!?!? I couldn't believe it but he did show me and there was some slack in it. Do you guys think that would be possible? If it were a timing issue wouldn't the engine be misfiring all over the place regardless of if it was warm?? Also, does anyone know if the LS motors chain is supposed to have some slack in it compared to other engines? I'm so confused over all this, I hope to hear back from the dealer tomorrow and am hoping for somewhat good news! Not trying to have to put another motor in this car.
Old 03-07-22, 02:57 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Was the intake manifold replaced along with the motor?
Old 03-07-22, 02:59 PM
Hamatron63
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hamatron63
That's crazy to hear, head gaskets going on a Lexus motor is unheard of unless the engine is overheated, or so I thought. My issue, however is not coming from a specific cylinder. To provide some background info, I this all started when I got the p0012 for camshaft position retarted. As stated in the forums and from what I found online I replaced both the camshaft actuator motor, and the VVT solenoid. However this took me a few months fo do. Before, I replaced these parts the misfires started to occur, only at cold starts it would be a random misfire and multiple cylinder codes with different cylinders at every cold start. Once the engine was warm i could erase the codes and drive all day and would have no issues. Also, during this time, I got a p010f code only once which was referring to MAF sensor. I cleaned both sensors and even replaced them to see if the problem was fixed but it wasn't, after this the MAF code never returned. Long story short, the camshaft code never returned after the motor was replaced, and the misfire is still happening. A few theories I had were maybe the camshaft motor was not replaced in time which caused the problem to get worse or even timing to get affected. As the mechanic who installed the camshaft actuator said my timing chain was way too loose then it should be?!?!? I couldn't believe it but he did show me and there was some slack in it. Do you guys think that would be possible? If it were a timing issue wouldn't the engine be misfiring all over the place regardless of if it was warm?? Also, does anyone know if the LS motors chain is supposed to have some slack in it compared to other engines? I'm so confused over all this, I hope to hear back from the dealer tomorrow and am hoping for somewhat good news! Not trying to have to put another motor in this car.
No. The intake manifold wasn't even touched in the installation of this actuator. And the misfires began before this repair
Old 03-07-22, 03:03 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

My point is a leaky manifold would cause misfire and MAF error codes. But it seems that you know better what is wrong with your car.
The following users liked this post:
Cape600L (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22, 03:13 PM
Hamatron63
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Anfanger
My point is a leaky manifold would cause misfire and MAF error codes. But it seems that you know better what is wrong with your car.
I agree with what you're saying, my apologies if I came off as a bit rude. I guess the dealership will have to figure this one out. They haven't asked for anymore in fees besides the $190 diagnostic fee. It's been three days since I dropped it off and they gave me a loner in the meantime. I will update here once I hear back.
Old 03-07-22, 04:00 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

No. The intake manifold wasn't even touched in the installation of this actuator. And the misfires began before this repair
No experience with directly, but I would recommend the timing chain tensioners be inspected as well.
Old 03-07-22, 04:59 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Let us know what the dealership comes back with.
Old 03-08-22, 03:26 AM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you're going through. I've been through it. I didnt mention all the issues you're having that I've already tried to resolve. I too thought it was the timing so I did replace the vvt, and solenoids also. I did the fuel injectors on top and internal. Valve cover gaskets, plugs, ignition coils, and i also thought it was an electrical issue so I replace the main ecu, the 2 fuel injector computers, I mean you name it I've replaced it. I went on to checking the chain just like you and no I dont have any slack on mine. I thought maybe

there was an internal gear or some part that might have failed and caused the chain to skip timing but that wasn't the issue either. On your car that just might be the issue due to the slack that you have but you are also right about throwing codes all I've if it was the chain. On the other hand the codes you are getting lead me to think its the chain being loose. Not 100% sure but an educated guess is better than any guess my lexus mechanics had. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. I've had two engines and I've been through it. My thing was when my engine gave out I swapped it and took the engine out disconnecting the tranny and the headers from the engine and connecting the new one. Well with the blown head gasket I left the old head gasket on the headers and put them on the new engine. Well it was a tight seal until time took its toll and the exact same symptoms occurred.
That's my baby now. Almost 100%