LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Do you ever get anxiety bringing car in for service

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 04:51 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Do you ever get anxiety bringing car in for service

Hi all, figure i would post this thought i came up with an interesting idea.

Lately, over the last 3 years both at BMW and Lexus i am noticing little things when you get your car returned from service.
I try to look at car before and after but some of the scratches or dings in bumper i have a hard time doing a before and after.

I do know that the care and desire to return the car as new or as is condition i don't think is a concern of most dealers today.
funny story was years ago when i moved to california i picked the highest reputation and nicest dealer in orange county, 3 days later my paint was taken off of the hood in five areas when they cleaned the car with pressure washer and tried to hand the keys over. they ended up painting my hood.

I noticed on my ls460 the bur walnut which i love is getting scratched with the keys in the middle area by gear shift. i have taken before and after photos and will be doing it today bringing the car in for interior replacement parts.

i noticed when i leave the car key fob with my other keys is where the scratching happens. they move the car around valets, mechanics, wash shop , back to valet and people just dont care. i haven't asked a detail shop if they can do scratch removal on my wood, i will, but the other area that gets scratched.
CUP HOlDERS black area where bottom of the cup or bottle is.. being obsessive compulsive i dont like my car scratched..
I got tired of thinking of it.

so now the procedure is key fob only for service.

and when i bought my new house i went to bed bath and beyond and bought the plastic liner for the kitchen cabinets. love them for the kitchen dont have to think of messing up the new kitchen cabinets.

so this a.m. pulled out the liner, cut two circles of the stuff to match the cup holders.. fits perfectly and if i may say so simply brilliant. should have dont that years ago because i dont put my keys in there when i drive for the same reason..

Happy Driving
The following users liked this post:
Peacebay (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 04:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Yep, dealers are careless about stuff like that. That’s why I in general stay away from them
mikesrx350 (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 06:00 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Any repair shop I take my car to I put "Do Not Wash This Car" signs on the dash, rear view mirror and front seat. Many of these places have courtesy car washes they don't mention up front and it's usually a guy in the back who washes the cars with a brillo pad. I also make them put it on the paperwork. I then do a walk around of the car with the service adviser and tell them I want my car parked in a spot where it is not door dinged or scratched.
Nospinzone (07-09-19)
Old 07-08-19, 09:19 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RussLS460
Any repair shop I take my car to I put "Do Not Wash This Car" signs on the dash, rear view mirror and front seat. Many of these places have courtesy car washes they don't mention up front and it's usually a guy in the back who washes the cars with a brillo pad. I also make them put it on the paperwork. I then do a walk around of the car with the service adviser and tell them I want my car parked in a spot where it is not door dinged or scratched.

Yeah, I don't want dealers to wash my car at all. They must use scalding hot water in their carwash. I had about 5 coats of wax completely stripped off after one pass.
Nowadays they ask you. In the past they assumed it was a courtesy to do.

And yeah, there is also some anxiety. They seem to always break/damage something to get to the part that needs to be replaced. Trim pieces, clips, nut and bolts always seem to be missing. Lug nut not torqued to spec or over torqued with an air gun. I've had one family mechanic throw tools in windshield cowl and chip the bottom of the windshield glass. It happened frequently to many of his customers. The other day I saw that 2 wheels lock on one wheel!

I always inspect everything after work is done.

Last edited by JLAWS; 07-08-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-08-19, 10:06 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

You are 100% righ to be anxious, stuff happens all the time, they don't care , mechanics are not paid well either. Walk to the back and see the guys working on your car. Sagging pants, bad attitude, look like they don't wanna be there ….. its a joke really, the direction it is going.

Ive seen so much , From broken tpms sensors at tire shops, tire shops who break sensors and try to say they were never there to begin with , tire shops not even being able to remove a low profile tire..... to mechanics who don't even know how to jack up the car properly , dealers who cant diagnose simple problems, it goes on and on..and on and on . and on.

Ive had two mechanics who didn't tighten my lugnuts after having my wheels off, (wheels literally wobbling while driving) first time was on my lexus sc400 second was on my last corvette z06 , huge safety issue, same shop also left car into neutral and it rolled into tools and stuff once it was taken down from the lift, ( I watched it , saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOO as it happened) thankfully no damages.

Had some bumper paint work done by a Toyota body shop , gave me the car back filthy with orange peeled finish on the LS executive , they also burned through the clear coat , had overspray on the rocker panel and paint chips that weren't there before.

Told them it looks like a driveway hack job and I need it done professionally, they agreed to re-do the other bumper for free which had some rock chips and stuff, and fix all the other damages, went to pick it up and its not ready , the PDR guy is there why ? One of the employees dinged the door somehow, and it was in the process of being fixed. Once done the car was amazing , it was good quality work, but of course had to fight for it.

I could literally write pages on what I think of the quality of work and skilled trades we get nowadays , its no better then 3rd world service. On top of it they are rude and uninterested, customer service non existent.

Here in Toronto you pretty much have to have a conflict or argument to get treated fairly, im used too it by now but sick of it at the same time.

Dealers are no better then Uncle joes Car shop around the corner.
DavidinCT (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 10:34 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

so well said all of the responses

so sad for bmw, mercedes and lexus to have the issues with all this
Old 07-08-19, 11:21 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

If you care about your cars, then you should be anxious when taking the cars in for service.

Once you drop the keys off, you can only hope your cars are in good hands (good mechanics). That’s why I prefer DIYs on things that I’m capable of.

I took my BMW M5 in for an oil change this past Saturday (still under certified warranty). I kept telling the service advisor many times what oil weight to use and the quantity. I told him to make sure it’s 5W-30 and when I got the car back, they put 0W-30 instead. SMH.

When my 13 LS 460 was still under certified warranty, they also had 4 complimentary services. Every time they would put 5W-30 dino oil instead of 0W-20. I told them I want 0W-20, and they would tell me that I have to pay for that.
Old 07-08-19, 11:29 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kuhan
If you care about your cars, then you should be anxious when taking the cars in for service.

Once you drop the keys off, you can only hope your cars are in good hands (good mechanics). That’s why I prefer DIYs on things that I’m capable of.

I took my BMW M5 in for an oil change this past Saturday (still under certified warranty). I kept telling the service advisor many times what oil weight to use and the quantity. I told him to make sure it’s 5W-30 and when I got the car back, they put 0W-30 instead. SMH.

When my 13 LS 460 was still under certified warranty, they also had 4 complimentary services. Every time they would put 5W-30 dino oil instead of 0W-20. I told them I want 0W-20, and they would tell me that I have to pay for that.
unreal , sorry for your experiences
Old 07-08-19, 04:16 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest but the 0w-30 in the BMW is probably fine. (I'm still shivering from the -20 cold snap we had up here in the greater chicagoland area last february)
The 5w30 dino in the LS460, on the other hand, is unacceptable.
Old 07-09-19, 10:12 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

yea they don't care, they fill it with whatever barrel they have on tap

I used to have issues with them always overfilling my oil as well
Old 07-09-19, 11:21 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

A business is only as good as its employees. The dealership usually do a good job when I have my car serviced and no anxiety unless I'm expecting a big bill. However I have noticed some fasteners under the hood may be missing and hand prints all over the hood and fenders and I don't let them wash my LS.
Old 07-09-19, 02:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
A business is only as good as its employees.
I think it is the other way around regardless of what type of business it is. A business is only as good as its leadership. It's management that sets and enforces standards. It's management's role to reward employees who meet standards, to "create" good employees and to discharge those who don't meet expectations. And its management that creates either a pleasant working environment or an awful one.

It all flows from the very top - from the CEO to the lowest paid employee. I was fortunate to spend most of my work years with an auto industry financial services company that operated that way which I'm pretty certain that was why it was extraordinarily profitable and dominated its segment.
1WILLY1 (07-12-19)
Old 07-09-19, 03:27 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

At check-in my dealer does a walk around with me and an iPad. Any damage they see or I see is documented and a photo is taken with an iPad that goes into my file. This way there is no discrepancy. Interior is a different story. My key has one of those leather key gloves on it to prevent scratching the console as everyone seems to lay the key on there. I just click the button on the key fob and remove the key shank with the rest of my keys on it before handing them over the key and take it with me.
Old 07-09-19, 05:10 PM
Sweatn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well they changed the way mechanics get paid, and now they make alot less. It is a high skilled trade that has forced out the highly skilled.
Old 07-12-19, 11:49 AM
etienne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some issues too, and they ask for proof so now, I make a video of my whole car inside/out before leaving. Lexus dealers are no Takumi, I confirm !

Quick Reply: Do you ever get anxiety bringing car in for service