LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Beat-Sonic Android Auto / Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-19, 05:14 PM
neilprasad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Can you use the push to talk button on the steering wheel to trigger voice commands in Android Auto like you would on a native Android Auto capable vehicle?
To launch Google Assistant (voice commands) you press the MENU button on the joystick (trackpad). The TALK steering button won't do anything in Android Auto.
Old 11-21-19, 05:54 PM
neilprasad
Rookie

So after several hours (and few days) of troubleshooting with Beat-sonic's engineer over the phone, we got all issues resolved except one. Sometimes when calling there is a buzzing sound or no ringtone and then when you hang up all audio from Android Auto is gone. Currently I'm trying not to use the Android Auto interface to make calls. I use the factory phone menu instead. Eric came by again and replaced the interface and updated the firmware to no avail. They have shipped out a new harness to see if that would fix it. I was told that this issue affects Android Auto only and that Carplay works fine. Everything else works as it should now.
Old 11-22-19, 07:32 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Personally, I would be hesitant to buy anything that isn't wireless. Now that I have bluetooth audio, I certainly don't want to go back to wired. If they are coming out with one that is wireless, I'll take a good look.
Old 11-25-19, 07:10 AM
neilprasad
Rookie

Originally Posted by R Z
Personally, I would be hesitant to buy anything that isn't wireless. Now that I have bluetooth audio, I certainly don't want to go back to wired. If they are coming out with one that is wireless, I'll take a good look.
They told me they'll release the wireless version next year. Because of battery drain, Wireless version is only useful for short drives where you don't want to take out your phone from your pocket. I have wireless Kenwood Android Auto / Carplay in my 98 LS400 which is my daily. I use my LS460 for longer drives so I would plug in my phone (atleast for charging) regardless of wireless or not in either of my cars. So it would come down to if people want to spend the extra $$ to get the convenience over wired. That's my 2 cents. YMMV.
Old 11-25-19, 07:33 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by neilprasad
They told me they'll release the wireless version next year. Because of battery drain, Wireless version is only useful for short drives where you don't want to take out your phone from your pocket. I have wireless Kenwood Android Auto / Carplay in my 98 LS400 which is my daily. I use my LS460 for longer drives so I would plug in my phone (atleast for charging) regardless of wireless or not in either of my cars. So it would come down to if people want to spend the extra $$ to get the convenience over wired. That's my 2 cents. YMMV.
If I wanted wired, I’d have kept my 08. 😉
Old 12-26-19, 11:50 AM
CitraGalxy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there, I was wondering how that Carplay solution you purchased from China turned out. If you like it, do you have a link?

Last edited by CitraGalxy; 12-27-19 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The Lsalit unit I have? Works great. Still using it every day. Has some quirks but they’re worth the benefit of Carplay
Old 01-30-20, 08:31 PM
neilprasad
Rookie

I can confirm that the Beat-sonic system has been working great. Little to no glitches and feels like OEM. Just have to make sure my phone is connected to the cars bluetooth for phone call routing since they have a problem with their phone call audio for Android phones which I requested they disable altogether. They'll get back to me on that one.
Also, as a tip, I would suggest installing their interface somewhere that is easily accessible just in case you have to perform firmware updates. Eric told me he put it in the glove box on one of his installs which I'm not a big fan of. There is actually very little space behind the dash to put anything anyway so I have mine under the carpet.
Old 01-31-20, 05:19 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Bought it and installed on the LS. Everything is working great. Wasn't optimized for the LS screen but Beat-sonic sent out firmware update within a day to fix the issue. Anyone else planning on getting it?
​​​​​​
Very, very tempted, my 2014 LS460 will be coming in in a few days, and it would be nice to have Android Auto for Waze that I use every day but, after just buying this car, I am leaving myself tight for the next few months

My Samsung Note 8 has screen burn in from Waze... I need to get this before i get a new phone..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 01-31-20 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 06:40 AM
CitraGalxy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm that the Beat-sonic system has been working great. Little to no glitches and feels like OEM. Just have to make sure my phone is connected to the cars bluetooth for phone call routing since they have a problem with their phone call audio for Android phones which I requested they disable altogether. They'll get back to me on that one.
Also, as a tip, I would suggest installing their interface somewhere that is easily accessible just in case you have to perform firmware updates. Eric told me he put it in the glove box on one of his installs which I'm not a big fan of. There is actually very little space behind the dash to put anything anyway so I have mine under the carpet.
The interface is the actual hardware (box)? Could you show me where you installed it under the carpet? I'm planning on installing mine soon.
Old 02-03-20, 08:20 AM
neilprasad
Rookie

Originally Posted by CitraGalxy
The interface is the actual hardware (box)? Could you show me where you installed it under the carpet? I'm planning on installing mine soon.
There are 2 interface units (rectangular boxes). One is the Main interface (metal) which can be used for updates and the other is what they call the Carplay box (plastic) . I put them inside the left side carpet of the front passenger foot rest which is the same as the right side carpet of the center console. You open the carpet by the center console by undoing 1 plastic clip and stuff your interfaces in there carefully. The carpet bulges a little but not too bad. You could velcro the metal unit above the footrest too if you wanted as long as you can hide the wires properly and also their (blue) video in/out wires are a little short so options are limited. You could also try the Glove box but I'm not sure how you'd route wires inside.
The following users liked this post:
CitraGalxy (02-03-20)
Old 02-05-20, 01:28 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Nice promo, wish I was closer... They are asking $599 on their site but, they will install it for $499...

I also want Android Auto... but, having the option of both is nice.