LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Pedal Commander mod...I like it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19 | 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Pedal Commander mod...I like it...

As the title says, I installed a Pedal Commander in my LS460, and so far I like it. For those of you not familiar the Pedal Commander is a control device that plugs in between your accelerator pedal and the car's DBW throttle system. Essentially it tricks the ECU into thinking you're applying more throttle input than you are, which makes the car feel more responsive.

One thing that frustrated me about the 2013 change was the linking of the throttle modes to the suspension modes. So, if you want to be in COMFORT mode, you cannot be in SPORT mode for a quicker throttle input. This essentially solves that issue. I'll fine tune it and let everybody know where it lands. It has 4 settings, Eco, City, Sport and Sport +. Sport + is just stupid, a small throttle input gives you WOT, but I find City -1 is about where the OEM Sport mode is, so essentially I have sport mode and comfort suspension mode.

This unit is Bluetooth so it can be controlled via an iPhone app, so I dont have to mount the ugly controller somewhere I can see it. Its under the dash. Takes literally 5 minutes to install.

A picture:

Here is the unit I bought:

Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
718luxury (04-01-20), Doublegrants18th (02-18-24)
Old 07-29-19 | 08:44 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Very nice but pricey mod. Did the quick response leave your twins smiling in the back seat??
Old 07-30-19 | 12:32 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As the title says, I installed a Pedal Commander in my LS460, and so far I like it. For those of you not familiar the Pedal Commander is a control device that plugs in between your accelerator pedal and the car's DBW throttle system. Essentially it tricks the ECU into thinking you're applying more throttle input than you are, which makes the car feel more responsive.

One thing that frustrated me about the 2013 change was the linking of the throttle modes to the suspension modes. So, if you want to be in COMFORT mode, you cannot be in SPORT mode for a quicker throttle input. This essentially solves that issue. I'll fine tune it and let everybody know where it lands. It has 4 settings, Eco, City, Sport and Sport +. Sport + is just stupid, a small throttle input gives you WOT, but I find City -1 is about where the OEM Sport mode is, so essentially I have sport mode and comfort suspension mode.

This unit is Bluetooth so it can be controlled via an iPhone app, so I dont have to mount the ugly controller somewhere I can see it. Its under the dash. Takes literally 5 minutes to install.

A picture:

Here is the unit I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
funny thing I was JUST looking at this again yesterday, but all mods on hold while i wait to see what Toyota/Lexus wants to do with the car.
Old 07-30-19 | 09:45 AM
twinturbov
Rookie

I went with the Sprint Booster V3 for my 2010 Sport.

SBLE0003S - Sprint Booster Select V31$299.99 USD

Worth every penny.

The throttle response is dramatically enhanced.

The driving dynamic of the vehicle is incredible.

I had the exact same experience as the dude in this video:

Old 07-30-19 | 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I saw that one too, very similar. Haven't driven it much since I have put it on but so far the throttle response seems much better. I have to play with it a little more
Old 07-30-19 | 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Playing around with it more on the drive home, I really like it. I have it set to City +1 and it makes accelerating away from a stop much more "effortless" feeling.
Old 07-30-19 | 07:48 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Very interesting! I didn't even know this sort of thing existed. I'm interested to hear more after you've used it for a while.
Old 07-31-19 | 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So far, its excellent!
Old 08-01-19 | 06:55 AM
icon901
Driver

Random question... and maybe it's stupid...

If this basically takes my throttle input and increases it by a percentage, what is the difference between this and just me pushing the throttle down harder?

Last edited by icon901; 08-01-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-01-19 | 07:47 AM
signdetres
Racer

How has it effected drivability in low-speed scenarios like parking lots, bumper to bumper traffic, etc.? Is it still easy to drive smoothly?
Old 08-01-19 | 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by icon901
Random question... and maybe it's stupid...

If this basically takes my throttle input and increases it by a percentage, what is the difference between this and just me pushing the throttle down harder?
No difference. Thats the whole point, it replicates a heavier throttle input than you are applying down low in the power band. So, the car feels peppier and more responsive to throttle inputs. Its the same thing that happens when you put the car in Sport mode, or ECT PWR if you have an older LS460. In fact, if I could separate the suspension setting and the throttle setting I wouldn't need it.

Here's an example of the differences in throttle mapping:

Originally Posted by signedtires
How has it effected drivability in low-speed scenarios like parking lots, bumper to bumper traffic, etc.? Is it still easy to drive smoothly?

It hasn't, no issue with low speed throttle adjustments or anything really like that.
The following users liked this post:
ALK (08-01-19)
Old 08-02-19 | 11:58 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Post up your MPG stats now lol
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-16-20)
Old 08-02-19 | 12:31 PM
riknchar
Instructor

This thread inspired me to try out my "Sport" mode button on my LS600hL. I actually didn't care for it much! Guess I'm used to the "normal" smooth acceleration I get with my 600, and I actually prefer not making jack-rabbit starts. Of course, if I step on it, my 600 hustles just fine in "Normal" mode. I actually found that in Sport mode, my ankle started getting tired from being cocked back so much, as any pressure on the accelerator pedal resulted in a bit too much acceleration for my taste.

I do think it's cool that such an aftermarket do-dad as this exists, though, as I know many people would like a more responsive throttle. I guess I'm just getting old... sigh... I prefer to "waft" around in my LS600 rather than race around...
Old 08-02-19 | 06:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

On the corvette forums a bunch of people run these things

With the vettes they have so much torque that the factory makes it so u really have to hammer the throttle to get a good response. Also most of the vettes power is in the upper RPM range so down low these devices can be very useful

I came close to getting one last week, I took too long and someone else grabbed it

Funny enough I don't find the LS460 lagging on the bottom end as much as the 3 vettes ive owned
Old 08-05-19 | 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

600 is a different animal, totally different powertrain, CVT, electric torque available down low, etc. Unless its up on the high settings even on the 460 its very subtle.Its not about jackrabbit starts, its about making the car feel peppy with light pedal inputs.

Just got done with a 700 mile round trip with it, it worked great. Much less pedal required to pull of passing maneuvers, and even in the mountains using Sport S+ mode to get the firmer suspension damping doubled with the pedal commanded had no ill effects. I have settled on "CITY" mode +2 sensitivity.

Quick Reply: Pedal Commander mod...I like it...