LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08' LS460 base, smoky grey color

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 03:39 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08' LS460 base, smoky grey color

Hello my fellow LS owners. I just passed 100k miles on my beauty. It's been meticulously maintained every 5k miles since I've owned it. I bought it CPO in 2014 with 62k miles. All dealer serviced (I know you DIYer's think I'm nuts here as to the cost, but I am not mechanically inclined, nor do I know of any independents here where I live in South OC, CA, so I don't trust anybody else looking at it)
Recently, I've had to replace the water pump, drained and re-filled trans and rear dif oil, brakes and pads, tires, and replaced a right front wheel bearing, The entire interior has been replaced using the Lexus recall and its like new again inside (seriously find it amazing that Lexus ponied up for this for an 11 year old car!).

As far as mechanical warranty recalls, the mechanical fuel pump has been replaced, as well as the fuel pressure gasket, and the control arm bushings, again, all under warranty. Only thing that hasn't acted up (yet) is the brake actuator issue, and my Lexus service rep says it's a bit more common on the 07's than the later years, and said not to worry until it does, if it does. The paint is still stunning, other than the roof rail peel, which I will deal with eventually.

All that said, I want this to be my last car, as I just don't need car payments anymore. Is it realistic to think I could get at least another 100k or more miles on my baby?

The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (08-05-19)
Old 08-05-19, 04:09 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Very nice indeed. I, too, plan on my LS to be my last car.

Is is it too much trouble to get pics of your new interior?

You know, we like to see all things nice.

Best.
Old 08-05-19, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Can you get another 100k out of your LS? Without a doubt. Might you have some potentially expensive repairs? You might. Will be WAY cheaper than car payments on a new one.
Old 08-05-19, 05:34 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

beautiful car, the car will continue to run till 250 or 350k
keep up with fluid changes as you are, rear diff, and trans fluid

nice color
Old 08-06-19, 10:07 AM
STROMS
Rookie

Thank you all for your positive responses. I will post interior pics in the next couple days.
Old 08-07-19, 10:54 AM
STROMS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Very nice indeed. I, too, plan on my LS to be my last car.

Is is it too much trouble to get pics of your new interior?

You know, we like to see all things nice.

Best.
As promised, some interior shots for you. All interior wood inserts were swapped out to match, and they even put in a new steering wheel so it would match as well. I was stunned when they did that!

Old 08-07-19, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Thats amazing!
Old 08-07-19, 11:53 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

What dealer did the work?
Old 08-07-19, 12:04 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
What dealer did the work?
Newport Lexus
Old 08-07-19, 12:04 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

"....I want this to be my last car, as I just don't need car payments anymore"
Pal, I show you are only 65 in your profile. Your last car?

You are no DIYer so keeping it another 5 to 10 yrs may be expensive. Make sure the brake fluid is flushed annually with fresh fluid from a sealed bottle. You can do it yourself with a turkey baster

Coincidently, I'm nearly in the exact same boat as you. My 2008 just hit 100,000 over the weekend on the highway. Feels like when I turned the big "30" I usually get rid of cars before they hit 100K miles. The LS460 seem a bit harder to sell than my past cars. I did have a sale lined up $12,750 when it had 98K miles on it. A $3K depreciation after 2 years when I paid $15,750 for it. I backed out of it to keep it but now I'm testing the sale market waters again. When I drive it on long highway drives, I am amazed how comfortable and stress free it is to drive. Then I say to myself "Why sell it when runs and drives like a new car?"
I've done nearly all of the repairs and upgrades myself over the 2 yrs. Ride excellent with new KYB struts which I replaced all 4 myself. I've decided the only way it will be sold if I get at or near my asking price. My financial priorities have changed (House & children) in my 40s so my usual vehicle change every 2 years may need to be revised to, "if it ain't broke don't get rid of it."

Last edited by JLAWS; 08-07-19 at 04:57 PM.
LS460Crown (08-12-19)
Old 08-07-19, 12:18 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Yes, am actually now closer to 66. I have gone through SO many cars in my lifetime. For the first 20/25 years of working, I always had a company car, but after changing jobs that went away. THEN, I must have gone through 8/9 cars at least, which was ultimately stupid, and I lost my *** on every trade in. My Lexus vehicles consisted of an 04', then an 06' LS 430, then a brand new 2012 LS460, and now this car. I've been a self employed business owner for the past 8 years, and work out of my house, so I don't do near the driving that I used to when I was in the corporate world (and don't miss that world one iota...). I just don't want/need another car payment at this stage of my life, so I baby this car. Unless I crash it, hopefully it WILL be my last car.
LS460Crown (08-12-19)
Old 08-07-19, 12:26 PM
STROMS
Rookie

And you're still a baby, so yeah, you'll go through plenty more cars for a while. But your analogy is right, if you still love how your car rides/handles and looks, like I do, why get rid of it. I'm a healthy 6'4" senior, and I have NEVER found a car with seats as comfortable as mine, ever. That includes an Audi A8L I drove a while back. The only car that comes close are the seats in the newer S class. And I absolutely love how my car drives and rides, especially when I have 3 other people in it. It's even smoother then for some reason. Oh, and thanks for the tip on the brake fluid!
LS460Crown (08-12-19)
Old 08-07-19, 12:30 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Hi Stroms,

Beautiful car, and kudos to you for keeping it in top condition!

Two points:
1) One reason Newport Lexus may have gone the extra mile in replacing your interior is because you are a loyal customer who has been going to them (I assume) for your 5K service. They love you

2) Could this be your last car? Will it run another 100K miles? I have no doubt that it will keep humming for another 100K with the regular service and dealer-done repair. About it being your last car, let's see: you have put 38 K in the last 5 years, so at that rate, you will take another 13-14 years to get to 200K. That will put you at 78-79 years old. If you are in good health, my guess is you will outlive this car. I think you will be riding in style in a self-driving Lexus by 2030
Old 08-07-19, 12:31 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Beautiful car - you have taken excellent care of it and the new interior just helps that much more. You'll easily get another 100K. I took my LS400 and my LS430 way over 200K and they ran as well as ever. As Steve mentioned, you may have to pay a few bucks over the next 100k miles for repairing things, but it's way cheaper than buying something else.
Old 08-07-19, 12:53 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Comotiger, you are correct, I've only had Newport service the car, since I bought it from Lexus of Carlsbad, and they've taken care of my older LS430's as well. All in-all, I've bought and had serviced all my LS's from them except this one that I bought from Carlsbad. So I think you're right, loyalty, in this case, has paid off. Plus I live by the Golden Rule; I'm as kind to them as they are to me, and that Golden Rule thing has served me well in my lifetime....They treat me like a king; I'm not one, but they sure make me feel like one.

Self-Driving Lexus in my late 70's... funny, but maybe true! By that age, probably most would prefer someone OTHER than myself drive my car...

Quick Reply: 08' LS460 base, smoky grey color