LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 08:35 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I picked up the same system that Steve had, LSailt system, just a little newer version (as I got it a while later). I am using it and wanted it for Android Auto. The setup I got supports Bluetooth connection as well. With what I have heard and read, Android Auto can be hit or miss with Bluetooth. It's why I wired it into the center. The built in OS also supports A/V in, so I am thinking about mounting A/V jacks on same thing.
The iPhone mirroring kit also uses a wired connection - a very long Lightning cable from the phone that plugs into an Apple DVI adaptor in the kit. The problem is Apple does not make long lightning cables and the aftermarket ones start giving connectivity problems after a few weeks or months. Therefore, I am really hoping the WiFi dongle will put an end to this problem. Note that this dongle connects the phone to the mirroring kit by WiFi not Bluetooth, so it should allow for smoother and faster transfer of video etc.

I read about phone mirroring and thought about in my 2007 but, I have/had no interest in it after playing with Android Auto. When my 2007 was in a fender bender(and they later totaled it), they gave me a 2019 Ford something or another for a rental, it had Android auto / Apple car play. I was able to use it for 2-3 weeks and I loved what it offered(hated in the car tho). Android Auto or Apple Car play has it's own GUI for the car, not just the phone interface on the screen . Although I think it would be better for a touch screen, it does give a modern update to a getting dated system.
When I was looking for infotainment options in 2016, there was no Carplay/Auto interface available for the LS460. There were other options like GROM that worked a bit like Carplay but were glitchy. So I went with Beatsonic's mirroring kit. I can "upgrade" to Beatsonic's Carplay kit, but they are not offering any discount for people who installed their mirroring kit.

That video really helped and made it fairly easy to do, I had to refer to it a few times but, got through everything with out any problems....It did take quite a while tho. Good luck on your install, set up a time, schedule it with the girlfriend/wife so no one can pull you from it
I have all the tools (just bought a 10 mm magnetic extension for the wrench), so I expect things to go smoothly. My college-bound son will be helping me; not sure if that's a good thing
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I actually started using the wireless CarPlay with this and it works great...
DavidinCT (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 08:40 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

That's great, Steve. Is it a WiFi or BT dongle? Does it plug into the box below the glove box?
Old 07-12-20, 08:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It uses WiFi and BT, plugs into the box. BT starts the connection and then it goes to WiFi and the BT connection switches back to the car.
Old 07-12-20, 01:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It uses WiFi and BT, plugs into the box. BT starts the connection and then it goes to WiFi and the BT connection switches back to the car.
Interesting. Can you post a link to this dongle? So, when you start up and have Carplay running, is the phone connected to your car's BT or to the dongle's BT? When you receive calls or texts when Carplay is running, do they get routed through the kit's BT or the car's BT?
Old 07-12-20, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will. It’s connected to the cars BT and the CarPlay units WiFi.

Calls go through the CarPlay kit unless you switch to the cars BT
Old 07-12-20, 07:23 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

I will. It’s connected to the cars BT and the CarPlay units WiFi.

Calls go through the CarPlay kit unless you switch to the cars BT
Hey Steve !

So, now that my car is fully back together, well, not by 1pm, I finally finished up around 2.... I got some time to really, use it while driving and sat in my garage for a wile with it trying to play with it. Very cool, accept a few times that Waze losing it's location... I tried to put my phone in the center of the console and it happened. I guess a wireless charger in the center console is out of the question here

I tried to connect via Bluetooth and No luck here. It shows it, I connect with my phone, it prompts for a code, I put it on my phone and it keeps on asking "connect your phone", it never connects to it. I'll drop an email to Cosmo on this one... I was kind of hoping to walk in the car and it just come up, not there yet....

A bug... Remember I have a 2014, so I have no choice but to use a split screen... If I leave it on climate on the split screen, it will error out and show a message "Climate Control system error Please contact your dealer". If I exit out of the android system, it works fine. Another thing I should send to Cosmo.

No question, it works fairly well, I know your using Apple Carplay but, I am a Android user, so I am using Android Auto. Streaming audio via XM sound great, I did tweak my settings so I am happy with it so far. Waze works fairly well(if it does not lose location).

The 2014 LS does not really have good voice texting, something I was kind of looking forward to here, It was working with google but, it does not lower auto volume when playing messages but, if I am Waze, it does (lower the audio volume to say it's message), thought this was strange. I hope this is a bug that will be addressed, I think I need to find some Android auto groups to talk to about the quirks about this....LOL

Just quick one for you, so I am in the Android system, HOW do I get back to the Lexus system quickly, hitting Radio does but, losing my audio when I just want to tweak something on the Lexus side?
Old 07-12-20, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like an Android vs IPhone thing. Radio mutes on mine whenever voice control is being used or Siri is talking.

Hold down the end button on the steering wheel and it will toggle between the two.
DavidinCT (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 05:49 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Sounds like an Android vs IPhone thing. Radio mutes on mine whenever voice control is being used or Siri is talking.

Hold down the end button on the steering wheel and it will toggle between the two.
Ah, phone end on the steering wheel to toggle, Great just what I was looking for here !

Yea, I bet. As wireless goes, Android wireless is not on their system right now but, according to Cosmo, they are actively working on it. I guess no wireless Android Auto for me, YET.

The audio mute thing must be a Android Auto bug. It's for sure quirky but, it works great for what it is. I'll look into Android auto thing a little deeper.

Old 09-08-20, 04:40 AM
jboji514
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Just installed the CarPlay system that Steve and Dave bought as well. The system is very nice and love the functionality of the wireless CarPlay feature. Took about 3hrs from start to finish. Shout out to Dave for his help on this.

The following 3 users liked this post by jboji514:
DavidinCT (09-08-20), NotFasty (09-08-20), SW17LS (09-08-20)
Old 09-08-20, 03:26 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Just too bad us 2013-2014 LS owners people could not use the whole screen

I really like how Steve's takes up the whole display...
Old 09-08-20, 03:29 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

yep- brings it to 2020+ infotainment feel
DavidinCT (09-08-20)
Old 09-08-20, 03:33 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
yep- brings it to 2020+ infotainment feel
And glad I could help. Feel free to ping me with any questions. I just pinged Cosmo last night because of some things I have questions/issues on.
Old 09-08-20, 04:11 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Hello I have a 13 LS and I ordered the Lsailt kit but I believe they sent me the wrong unit for my car. Can you guys confirm this? I’ve been trying to contact them on the AliExpress app.

Old 09-08-20, 04:16 PM
jboji514
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Your right but I’m just happy there is a retrofit for our cars and it’s not too bad to install. There’s other systems that aren’t as well interpreted as this unit. The wireless function is awesome considering many new OEM systems don’t even have this yet.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME