LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 04:04 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Just a quick update on this.
I purchased an android auto module from an eBay vendor name Road Top out of China, they are also on AliExpress. Paid $279 shipped for the unit, very similar to the unit you guys mentioned above. Received it in 6 days via DHL.

Install was quite straight forward, similar to the steps mentioned above. Communication with the vendor is quick with good English. The provided user manual is well laid out and informative.

Don't mind the gap under the screen I did not complete the full reassemble when the pic was taken.

To my surprise the wireless connection for android auto works flawlessly. I thought I would be limited to the the wired option only but the wireless function is fast and works nicely.
Upon starting the car the oem unit booths up as normal. A three second press on the map button switches to android mode. The AA icon is then displayed, clicking on the icon opens the program. Display is clear and the backup camera still works as intended.
Switching between the oem and AA systems is a three second press on the map button.
I has only been a few days since the install so I am still learning and testing the system.
Display dims as it should when the head lights are turned on or off.
Waze, google maps, Pandora and google assistant works smoothly.
Since my car is a 2014 year model, it is limited to the split screen, no worries for me there.
So far I am happy with the unit. The one issue I have is navigating the mouse in the AA mode, lol. It will take some time to get use to that.
I will keep updating my experience and issues with this unit.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 10-28-20 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-28-20, 07:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Cool! Let me know how it turns out
Steve, I have a question for you. When your using Waze at night (headlights on), does it go into Waze's night mode ?

On Android Auto it does not, I had to set the Sunrise/Sunset on phone but, that dims all apps at night. Kind of annoying..
Old 10-28-20, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Yep, everything goes into night mode at least with the iPhone and CarPlay
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (10-28-20)
Old 10-28-20, 09:56 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Just a quick update on this.
I purchased an android auto module from an eBay vendor name Road Top out of China, they are also on AliExpress. Paid $279 shipped for the unit, very similar to the unit you guys mentioned above. Received it in 6 days via DHL.

Install was quite straight forward, similar to the steps mentioned above. Communication with the vendor is quick with good English. The provided user manual is well laid out and informative.

Don't mine the gap under the screen I did not complete the full reassemble when the pic was taken.

To my surprise the wireless connection for android auto works flawlessly. I thought I would be limited to the the wired option only but the wireless function is fast and works nicely.
Upon starting the car the oem unit booths up as normal. A three second press on the map button switches to android mode. The AA icon is then displayed, clicking on the icon opens the program. Display is clear and the backup camera still works as intended.
Switching between the oem and AA systems is a three second press on the map button.
I has only been a few days since the install so I am still learning and testing the system.
Display dims as it should when the head lights are turned on of off.
Waze, google maps, Pandora and google assistance work smoothly.
Since my car is a 2014 year model, it is limited to the split screen, no worries for me there.
So far I am happy with the unit. The one issue I have is navigating the mouse in the AA mode, lol. It will take some time to get use to that.
I will keep updating my experience and issues with this unit.
So you got Wireless Android Auto, and Waze shows Night mode when your headlights turn on ? Something my system does not support..

For like $280 I am temped to swap it out...
Old 10-28-20, 11:20 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

I have a question about Carplay/Auto that is installed by the carmaker or the Carplay/Auto kit that you folks have installed.

Can you listen to the car's radio or a CD while running Carplay/Auto for maps etc.? Or do you have to run another app like Pandora/iHeart Radio within Carplay to listen to music/news? My understanding is that installing these kits results in a new AV source appearing in the infotainment menu, so one cannot run Carplay/Auto while listening to the car's Radio or a CD.
Old 10-28-20, 11:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
I have a question about Carplay/Auto that is installed by the carmaker or the Carplay/Auto kit that you folks have installed.

Can you listen to the car's radio or a CD while running Carplay/Auto for maps etc.? Or do you have to run another app like Pandora/iHeart Radio within Carplay to listen to music/news? My understanding is that installing these kits results in a new AV source appearing in the infotainment menu, so one cannot run Carplay/Auto while listening to the car's Radio or a CD.
Yes you can, you can still use all of the car's regular audio options.

For instance I use Wireless Carplay but still play music through the car's USB input because the audio is better that way. I control the audio through CarPlay and the playback is through the car's USB input not the AUX input the CarPlay uses
Old 10-28-20, 11:30 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yes you can, you can still use all of the car's regular audio options.

For instance I use Wireless Carplay but still play music through the car's USB input because the audio is better that way. I control the audio through CarPlay and the playback is through the car's USB input not the AUX input the CarPlay uses
Thanks, Steve! That's interesting. The system seems to be using two different infotainment sources (AUX for CarPlay and USB/FM for music) at the same time. I didn't think that would be possible, but I learned something today
Old 10-28-20, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So you have to separate the audio playback source (aux) with the control of the CarPlay. CarPlay is just an extension of the phone, and you don't have to have the audio system in AUX source to make CarPlay work.
Old 10-28-20, 02:00 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

So you have to separate the audio playback source (aux) with the control of the CarPlay. CarPlay is just an extension of the phone, and you don't have to have the audio system in AUX source to make CarPlay work.
I am confused how all this works, but it does, so that's all that matters! For example, if you were getting voice directions on Google maps, doesn't that audio come thru the AUX input that Carplay is connected to? However, if you were listening to music from a USB source at the same time, how does Carplay silence the music to allow you to listen to the Google Maps directions?
Old 10-28-20, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Google maps voice will come through whatever audio source is playing back off the phone.

If you are listening to say the car's CD you wont hear the Google voice unless you install the speaker that comes with the unit.
Old 10-28-20, 09:14 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
So you got Wireless Android Auto, and Waze shows Night mode when your headlights turn on ? Something my system does not support..

For like $280 I am temped to swap it out...
Yes, I was pleasantly surprise the wireless function works so smoothly. The dimming functions works quite well also. Those were some concerns I had after reading your post.
I was about to order the same unit you did, but on a whim decided to go with the Road Top unit.
They have it for $40 less if you make an offer.
Communication was very good, I had a few questions on the dip switches settings and had to do a bit of experimenting to size the image.
I like the wireless function as I can connect my phone charger directly to the charging port for a faster charge.
Dave, I hope you get the updates to get your issues resolved.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (10-29-20)
Old 10-29-20, 06:28 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Yes, I was pleasantly surprise the wireless function works so smoothly. The dimming functions works quite well also. Those were some concerns I had after reading your post.
I was about to order the same unit you did, but on a whim decided to go with the Road Top unit.
They have it for $40 less if you make an offer.
Communication was very good, I had a few questions on the dip switches settings and had to do a bit of experimenting to size the image.
I like the wireless function as I can connect my phone charger directly to the charging port for a faster charge.
Dave, I hope you get the updates to get your issues resolved.
Thanks for the update, I sent you a PM just wondering what one you got. I did send a long email to Cosmo about the lack of Android auto support with their device. Apple carplay has night mode and wireless support built in. I wanted wireless too so I can use my quick charger as well.

When it comes to Android it just seems like it was an afterthought on this device.

Thanks for the tip on the offer... if I decide to go that route.. but, very temped.
Old 11-17-20, 07:39 AM
Kernel
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the module from Road Top as well for $280. Disassembling the car was not extremely difficult, but I wouldn't do it if I've never taken apart a dashboard on a cheaper car.
There are two extra cables that seem to be unnecessary, one for monitor (that may or may not be needed) and the other one is not mentioned in the instructions at all.
Even though there are instructions etc. it was a bit of a struggle for me to learn how to activate the module, how to make sure it only sends signal for a split screen (so interface is fitted on the left side) and how to make sure that my phone still has internet when connected to wireless android auto.

Now, I still have 3 outstanding issues:
1) The sound disappears as soon as I connect android auto (wireless or wired) and only comes back when I switch back to the OEM interface. I checked that my phone is still connected to LEXUS bluetooth and I made sure it sends the signal there.
2) There is a tiny line under the android auto interface that shows the OEM maps sometimes, and sometimes it blinks/flashes, sometimes it's just there, and sometimes it's not there. It's very inconsistent. Now that extra cable that I have for monitor may be able to fix this issue, but I think I've seen this flashing even before. The question is how to remove that line completely and not just make it stop flashing.
3) Android auto screen dims, but does not turn to darker scheme at night. However, it did turn to dark scheme 1 time randomly during the day, go figure.

If I can fix those issues I'll be happy. But for now, inside of my car looks like it's been through war.
Old 11-17-20, 05:26 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

OK, you will not need all the supplied cables, you will be left with two that is not needed. One is a video cable and the other is a pigtail wire loom used for the 10 inch screens.
The recommended settings for the DIP switches are 2, 3 and 5 "ON" or in the down position. Since I have the split screen, DIP switches 2 and 5 are "ON". Experiment with DIP switches 2 and 5 to see if you get rid if the white line at the bottom of the screen. It is not consistent but mine goes away after switching from P to D in AA mode. I think it has something to do with the backup camera.
If you need assistance from the vendor send them a message on eBays and they will contact you via WhatsApp. Best time to get them is at nights due to the time difference.
Once you made all the connections you can go ahead and reinstall the display, radio and glove box and leave the unit hanging down on the passenger foot well. Onec you get it all configured just tuck the unit up nest the the Fan motor and install the cover.
Not sure about the dimming functions, I have no issues with mine. Mine dims as it should with the light switch.
In order to get audio when in the AA mode you need to switch to AUX mode.
I responded to your IM's , let me know if you need any additional info.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 11-17-20 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-17-20, 09:57 PM
piercejr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

has anyone compared these aliexpress systems with the Grom VLine V2 ? I've dealt with off brand chinese Android implementations in the TV settop box world and they left a bad taste (things likea Matricom G-Box), while a brand name implementation (NVidia Shield TV) was 10X better in every respect.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME