LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 06:14 AM
Kernel
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be interesting for me as well. I've seen also Crux, but it does not have wireless functionality. The problem with the Chinese seller is that their support is only available from 11pm till 5am my time, and that has cost me 2 days of installation already and I don't even know if we can get this fixed.

The outstanding issue is a line at the bottom of Android Auto that shows OEM map and sometimes it flickers, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it disappears. I've been sent 2nd upgrade file from the support team and that did not help so far.

Now there are two more issues:
1) Picture quality in Android Auto is poor. White is not pure white, it looks kind of dirty, gray background has shadows with green shades etc. In the below pictures you will see how dirty the icons look and that's not the camera, that's how it looks to my eyes as well:

2) The sound is so quiet that I have to crank up to 50-60 volume to have a sound that I used to get at 28 volume using OEM car's Bluetooth connection.

The sad part is so far talking with support we didn't even get to address these issues, only trying to fix the line at the bottom of the screen. I hope it won't take more than a few days, because my car is not drive-able right now and that bothers me.

Did anyone else have similar issues? If yes, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-20, 08:09 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks like you received a bad unit. I do not have any of the issues you mentioned, I hope it stays that way.
I originally planned to get the Beatsonics unit, since they are here in the US, however they are completely out of these unit with a long wait time.
GROM VL unit looks to be a good choice, but I do not have any experience with them.
Maybe someone can chime in.
For the volume setting I think you have to go into the program and configure the volume. Mine was preset I think because I did not have to make any changes. Also, check the settings with the AA App on your phone.
Hope you get those issues resolved.
Old 11-18-20, 07:17 PM
Kernel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Looks like you received a bad unit. I do not have any of the issues you mentioned, I hope it stays that way.
I originally planned to get the Beatsonics unit, since they are here in the US, however they are completely out of these unit with a long wait time.
GROM VL unit looks to be a good choice, but I do not have any experience with them.
Maybe someone can chime in.
For the volume setting I think you have to go into the program and configure the volume. Mine was preset I think because I did not have to make any changes. Also, check the settings with the AA App on your phone.
Hope you get those issues resolved.
After 3 updates to the module via USB flash drive I no longer have the line appear when I'm in the module interface or when I'm in Android Auto interface. I still have issue with the picture quality and the low sound volume.

When I connect iPhone, CarPlay works great, the picture quality looks good and the map goes into night mode without any issues.

I am in contact with the support, but it's been a few days and I really hope to get my car back together by the weekend.

Also, while experimenting with all of the settings my car battery died. Maybe I can start the car tomorrow when the temperature will be higher.
Old 11-26-20, 01:26 PM
Kernel
Driver School Candidate

After a few more software updates all the issues have been resolved. Android Auto works well.

I was trying to put the car back together, but haven't quite figure out where to place the module. Initially I tried to hide it under the carpet on the left side of the passenger foot well, but that created a bulge and is interfering with the plastic cover that goes above the foot well, but behind the knee airbag. Then I tried to place the module under the center console (where the remote control for the screen is). However, since I need to connect wires from both sides of the module, it doesn't quite fit in terms of the width. I tried to put it above the glove box on the left side, but the same issue with wires from both sides of the module arises.

If you did it yourself or know how it's done can you share what you have done in your car?

Here are some pictures I took to help with pointing me to a more specific location.

Old 11-26-20, 05:16 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, glad you got it all figured out.
I mounted my unit in the passenger side next to the fan motor. Put all panels back in except for the cover at the very bottom of the glove box. The one pictured in the bottom right of your last pic. above. Fit the module next to the fan motor and then install that cover. It will fit perfectly in there.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 11-26-20 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-27-20, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

They mounted mine under the carpet on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, worked well there and I could access it without having to disassemble anything.
Old 11-27-20, 03:53 PM
Kernel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Wow, glad you got it all figured out.
I mounted my unit in the passenger side next to the fan motor. Put all panels back in except for the cover at the very bottom of the glove box. The one pictured in the bottom right of your last pic. above. Fit the module next to the fan motor and then install that cover. It will fit perfectly in there.
Thank you and thanks for all the help and advice along the way. I couldn't quite figure out how to place it next to the blower motor - couldn't find the space under it and there is already some kind of module to the left of the blower module.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They mounted mine under the carpet on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, worked well there and I could access it without having to disassemble anything.
Thanks, I was able to place it behind the carpet after I put glove box, knee airbag and the lower cover together. So now, I can access it without disassembling anything.

I managed not to scratch anything or break anything in the process. Here the car is back to original look:

Old 11-27-20, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well done!
Old 12-14-20, 08:52 AM
ballaz
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@kernal or @BiGEZ , Can you send me a link to the device you ordered to get wireless Android Auto? I have searched ebay and aliexpress and cannot find one that fits my 2013. Thanks.

@SW17LS or @DavidinCT is this the correct LSAILT model? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...5be67c37XpxcKZ
Old 12-14-20, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That looks to be the one
Old 12-14-20, 09:40 AM
Kernel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ballaz
@kernal or @BiGEZ , Can you send me a link to the device you ordered to get wireless Android Auto? I have searched ebay and aliexpress and cannot find one that fits my 2013. Thanks.

@SW17LS or @DavidinCT is this the correct LSAILT model? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...5be67c37XpxcKZ

This is the one I got from Road Top:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carplay-And...X/383759247783
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (12-17-20)
Old 12-14-20, 01:03 PM
ballaz
Rookie

Thanks @kernal and @BiGEZ for the quick response. Ordered!!! lingering issues or new bugs discovered?
Old 12-14-20, 05:28 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kernel
This is the one I got from Road Top:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carplay-And...X/383759247783
whats the point of the Lasailt unit if then wireless retrofit kit gives the Lexus CarPlay for a cheaper price? Or are these units both needed? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-20, 05:37 PM
ballaz
Rookie

Unsure, why one would chose the other. Especially with @Kernel & @BiGEZ stating all of his issues were resolved with software updates. Also both are not needed.
Old 12-14-20, 10:00 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ballaz
Unsure, why one would chose the other. Especially with @Kernel & @BiGEZ stating all of his issues were resolved with software updates. Also both are not needed.
wouldn’t it be worth it to get the apple car play dongle and use your phone for everything? Btw which one did you order?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME