LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 10:18 AM
MJAG
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you @comotiger

Has anyone used this on a 2013 model? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carplay-And...X/383759247783

I notice that it cuts off at 2014...I'm trying to navigate Road Top's website, but it's "literally" Chinese to me.
Old 02-08-21, 02:58 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by MJAG
thank you @comotiger

Has anyone used this on a 2013 model? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carplay-And...X/383759247783

I notice that it cuts off at 2014...I'm trying to navigate Road Top's website, but it's "literally" Chinese to me.
That is odd. The 2013 infotainment system looks identical to the 2014, which I have. I find it hard to believe there were substantial changes to the hardware from 13 to 14. Try contacting the seller thru eBay rather than the Chinese website. Good luck!
Old 02-08-21, 06:20 PM
MJAG
7th Gear

By all indications I believe you're right. It's probably an error as it appears that all similar units include 2013. I have not heard back from the seller yet; however, for $279 + free shipping, I'm going for it.

Worst case scenario, if it doesn't not work, I'll raffle it off on the forum
Old 02-09-21, 07:46 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I have one of these units brand new for sale in my for sale thread. Let me know of you're interested.
Old 02-19-21, 08:33 AM
MJAG
7th Gear

I heard from Road Trip, and after sending them pictures of my 2013 Lexus LS 460, they confirmed that their model does indeed support 2013 models (not just 2014 and up).

Customer service note: Road Trip's customer service is impressive. During their Chinese New Year vacation they were still responding to questions and letting me know they were out of the office...and sure enough, they got back to me on the day they came back. To juxtapose their service, I purchased a similar interface for my Audi TT MK2 and heard nothing from the vender for 12 days. They only respond after I canceled my order and it was the last day before it would automatically be refunded (to prevent the refund). They answered no questions that I asked. They replied to my questions with "confirm question."
Old 03-15-21, 06:23 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Lsailt vs. Road Trip Kits... My thoughts of them after using them for a while

OK, I had the Lsilt model, due to not supporting Wireless Android Auto, I wanted to try the Road Trip model. I swapped it out. Here are my thoughts on both of these devices.

First of all, both of these devices is a Android based tablet with out a screen(in a nut shell), Carplay (Apple carplay / Android auto) run on top of the OS. Both are a factor the sub system as well as Carplay (what all of us are really interested in). Both these systems require you to put on AUX mode, then hold a defined button to switch to the system.

Connections to the car is the same between the tow. In a nut shell, you pull out the radio, pull out 2 cables, plug in their cable and take the factory cable and plug it in their cable, same with the monitor. They are both plug and play but, you need to pull a lot apart to get it installed. Not hard at all, if you take your time.

Lsailt

This system appears to be faster than the Road Trips device, this could be the cost factor (memory/CPU speed). The Android sub system is setup it could be used. It has Waze, google maps and extra things. If you want to use this system, you need to connect a GPS antenna and speaker (or can be connected via Bluetooth)

You can go into this OS, or you could have Carplay automatically start. Carplay has limits on the Android auto on this but, if you have an Apple device, this is a great system for this. On Apple according to other users here, it supports night mode and it supports Wireless Apple carplay, these are things that it does not in Android Auto.

This uses a dongle for Carplay but, it works fine and you would never know.

Support
Cosmo was awesome, normally within 24 hours You get a reply, issues normally got a firmware update to address and always there to help out. I am selling my kit (stilll for sale) and he said he would even help the new use to install it. Really great guy.

Control
When in Carplay or the built in OS. It puts you in a sandbox, you can not move outside of the of the Car play window unless you hold the button to switch back (so 13-15 owners can't change anything on the split screen). It is a mouse, you have a dot screen and you move it, when on an item, push down to click. This was strange to get used to but once you did, this was awesome, I could wile driving move and click very quickly do things. I found this really, really easy to use and quick.

Road Trip

This is a smaller device, It's stripped down compared to the Lsalt model. The built in OS is for carplay only, and controls for it. It does have more controls, you can change the sound quality (full EQ), levels of voice vs. music. There is NO built in Android subsystem you need your phone to have a system in here, this for Carplay only. The menu system seems nice and clean, black with white lettering and icons. It's easy going. It does support Wireless Carplay for Android Auto and Apple Carplay but, can be hit or miss time to time.

Support
Frustrating is what I would say. Well I had issues, they are on other side of the world, they INSISTED to talk via WHATSAPP (I didn't have a account or never used it), they would not help via email. So, they start work around 9pm my time, and when I get up 7am they leave. So I had no choice to stay up late a few nights to get them on line in the car and it took over a week to get a update for it. Most of the time, they would reply 3-5am so another day waiting. They also insisted on a video for every issue, so I can go out pull my phone make it happen and record a video, then send via WHATSAPP. It's like they didn't believe me that I had these issues (even though other people here said they had them as well).

Control
This system is very frustrating to use. In Android Auto, I can not quickly select things. To move above (click on a item right above where I am at), I need to hit left or right a few times to get up there but, I have to be careful because the Lexus side you can go back to, so if you click on Carplay while something is highlighted on the Lexus side, you will change things. I got off AUX because of this, A/C changes. SO driving, it's hard to track where you are on and not mess up anything on the Lexus side.

They try to a "snap to" like the Lexus system is, there is not trails like on the Lexus system and it's very hard to track. With Waze marking a cop location is almost impossible to quick, and if you you see one one that already flagged, it takes too much to get around. I really wish they had a better control for this system. It's perfect BESIDES this. It really is bad. I am thinking about other options because it's that bad.

They have 2 control options one for a "touch pad" and one for "the joystick"

This is over almost 3 weeks of using so not a day one type of thing.

Over all,
If you have an Apple device, The Lsailt unit is easier, faster and control is great. Android Auto is better on the Road Trip but, this control, no question is pretty bad.

If anyone has a better idea for controlling the Road Trip version let me know PLEASE.
Old 03-23-21, 10:56 AM
MJAG
7th Gear

Thank you for the analysis, Dave!

I bought the Road Trip before reading this review and received it pretty quickly. I'm going to try and install it and use Siri or hey Google to control the functions. Mostly, I want to access better GPS and gas buddy finder, I'm a simpleton

Quick Question: Is there a good video on how to take apart the Lexus interior? Is there a decent video on installing the Road Trip?

Thought I'd ask before going through the pages and pages on this forum. It' s rabbit hole.

Last edited by MJAG; 03-23-21 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 02:00 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Dave, thanks for the in-depth analyst of the Road Top system. I am still enjoying mine.
See this video from breatsonics of an install in the LS460

The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (03-31-21)
Old 03-24-21, 09:55 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

If anyone's interested in the Lsailt model, I still have mine that I have yet to list here... I do need to move it, one member said they wanted but, just blew me off 2 times when he would send payment.... and never responds...

No problem on the reviews. To be honest, they are just addon devices. Controlling on the Road Trip one is still kind of a PIA after a few weeks, TRYING hard to used to it but, still very clumsy how to use it.. I did use them both for an extended time now.

Like in Waze when you see a cop and you want to flag it... moving over, then move back so your not changing anything on the Lexus side, and by the time I get there, a 1/2 a mile has gone by and I missed flagging the cop... this just an example and happens ALL THE TIME. Try to change a setting with the stick... go head... you'll see how annoying it can be... The stick hops back to center and moves your control, it took me 5-6 times before I could even select something in there and changed a few things I didn't want to change needing to go back...

On the the other system Lsailt model, it's a mouse type control and you can be very quick to move around and click on things IF the Road Trip did this, it would be a perfect system...

I might go back and Whatsapp and complain with some more videos...

Keep in mind, Android Auto and Apple carplay was designed for touch screens and it's up to the box to decide on how to control for a non-touch screen...
Old 03-31-21, 11:32 AM
KMLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Sound quality

Lsailt option sounds solid, I also want to use carplay.
Is there a difference when you play spotify in carplay vs directly connected with Bluetooth to the car?
I saw some kits where sound is connected via a mini jack(headphone port). I can't imagine sound will be good then. I have the idea I have more than stereo sound now.

Is it possible to control phone with spotify via carplay and have sound directly connected to the audio system via Bluetooth?

If sound is worse via carplay I see less added value for it.
Old 03-31-21, 04:36 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by KMLexus
Lsailt option sounds solid, I also want to use carplay.
Is there a difference when you play spotify in carplay vs directly connected with Bluetooth to the car?
I saw some kits where sound is connected via a mini jack(headphone port). I can't imagine sound will be good then. I have the idea I have more than stereo sound now.

Is it possible to control phone with spotify via carplay and have sound directly connected to the audio system via Bluetooth?

If sound is worse via carplay I see less added value for it.
The sound quality on both them is really good. On the Road play kit, you need to have something in the headphone jack, it does nothing but, allows you to select AUX. The Lsailt does not need this.

BOTH kits, connect via AUX, so no need for Bluetooth on them, it's directly connected to the system. Depending on the app, the steering wheel controls work, for up and down.. etc.

I have the XM radio app that I use but, I know there is Spotify app that works with Android auto, so I assume it works with Carplay...

I still have my Lsailt kit for sale...
Old 04-01-21, 02:32 PM
KMLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'm now comparing grom vs vsailt. I'm situated in the Netherlands, so buying your vsailt is probably more problematic.
Old 04-02-21, 08:14 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by KMLexus
Thanks, I'm now comparing grom vs vsailt. I'm situated in the Netherlands, so buying your vsailt is probably more problematic.
Shippng that is all, or you can buy it from alibaba and that is almost 2x what i am asking. If your interested let me know.

I'll be listing on this site this week, I hope.
Old 04-02-21, 10:44 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

David. This will not work for 2007 models correct?
Old 04-04-21, 05:32 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by AZGS4
David. This will not work for 2007 models correct?
No, it will not work with a 2007, it will work with a 2013-2016 LS and a few GS models with the 12.3" displays...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-04-21 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME