LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 06:05 PM
PzAz
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Road Trip Andorid Auto question

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Not sure if you're still looking for this but, skip the really expensive kits...

This is the RoadTop one...

Wireless CarPlay for High Configuration Lexus NX RX IS ES GS RC LS LX LC 14-20 | eBay

The HIGH config is for the Joystick models (2013-2017), This is a plug and play kit (You do need to pull the dash apart but, it's easy to do with the right tools). It does support wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay. 2013-2015 will have the split screen, 2016-2017 will have full screen (changed with a few jumpers on the device). Plenty of install directions in this thread.

This really is one of the best addons you can put in your 2013-2017 LS.... It EVEN has HDMI in, so you can play HDMI devices on your screen.

Kind of bumping this thread because new owners should see this option, for $280, its' a deal of the century for the infotainment system in the LS460

David,

I went through all of this thread and really appreciate all your detailed updates (first with Lsailt and then with Road Trip). Thanks for sharing your experience, I am going with the Road Trip unit.

I do want to confirm with you regarding your thread post #231 "In Android Auto, I can not quickly select things. To move above (click on a item right above where I am at), I need to hit left or right a few times to get up there but..." were you able to get this issue resolved? Also, does this unit let you screen mirror? If yes, wired or wireless?

Sorry for the questions, I am an Android user as well and wnat to be sure this would work for me as intended.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by PzAz; 11-07-22 at 06:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 07:48 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PzAz
David,

I went through all of this thread and really appreciate all your detailed updates (first with Lsailt and then with Road Trip). Thanks to sharing your experience I am going with the Road Trip unit.

I do want to confirm with you regarding your thread post #231 "In Android Auto, I can not quickly select things. To move above (click on a item right above where I am at), I need to hit left or right a few times to get up there but..." were you able to get this issue resolved? Also, does this unit let you screen mirror? If yes, wired or wireless?

Sorry for the questions, I am an Android user as well and wnat to be sure this would work for me as well.

Thank you in advance for your input!!
OK, it's kind of a pain to use time to time but, after using for a week or 2 you get the handle of it and used it. After having this system for so long, it's a reaction to make sure I am in the right spot to be ready for it. Android Auto is really designed for a touch screen (same with Apple Carplay), with a joystick your very limited on what you can do. Once you start controlling it, you'll see what i am talking about, it does work and well but, it's quirky.

Some of the limits I noticed, for example, If you use Waze, you will notice other things on the map, like a Walmart, or McDonalds (again example), on a touch screen, you can click on them, and you select to navigate to and address etc. On the Road Trip model, you can't click on those but, all the other "hard buttons" you can click on, 99.8% of Waze works fine on this device, it's that odd ball thing that does not. The Lsalt unit you could do this. That system has more bugs than this one though. Overall, I don't see any other features I can't do on it (this is very limited on apps I use on this system)

If you're using the Lexus system how you need move around to different things, it pretty much works like that.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto is wireless on this system, I never tried screen mirror. It also has HDMI in as well. I know there is an option for screen mirror but, not sure, never tried it. I was only interested in Android Auto.

With the little issues, 99.9% of the time, I get in the car and wireless connects, it sometimes takes 3 seconds, other times 30-40 seconds but, it does connect. I just wish I could use the WHOLE screen, but, that is a limit with the 2013-2015 models..
Old 11-07-22, 12:14 PM
PzAz
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, it's kind of a pain to use time to time but, after using for a week or 2 you get the handle of it and used it. After having this system for so long, it's a reaction to make sure I am in the right spot to be ready for it. Android Auto is really designed for a touch screen (same with Apple Carplay), with a joystick your very limited on what you can do. Once you start controlling it, you'll see what i am talking about, it does work and well but, it's quirky.

Some of the limits I noticed, for example, If you use Waze, you will notice other things on the map, like a Walmart, or McDonalds (again example), on a touch screen, you can click on them, and you select to navigate to and address etc. On the Road Trip model, you can't click on those but, all the other "hard buttons" you can click on, 99.8% of Waze works fine on this device, it's that odd ball thing that does not. The Lsalt unit you could do this. That system has more bugs than this one though. Overall, I don't see any other features I can't do on it (this is very limited on apps I use on this system)

If you're using the Lexus system how you need move around to different things, it pretty much works like that.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto is wireless on this system, I never tried screen mirror. It also has HDMI in as well. I know there is an option for screen mirror but, not sure, never tried it. I was only interested in Android Auto.

With the little issues, 99.9% of the time, I get in the car and wireless connects, it sometimes takes 3 seconds, other times 30-40 seconds but, it does connect. I just wish I could use the WHOLE screen, but, that is a limit with the 2013-2015 models..

Thanks David, I really appreciate your update!

I had installed the Beat Sonic unit but running into similar issues of lagging and not being able to click exactly on the icon when connected wirelessly (Hardwire via USB works fine) but beats the purpose as the charging is slow. So if I am getting same results, might spend a lot less and get the unit Road Trip is offering.

I agree, these units are designed for touch screens and joysticks can only do so much.

Old 11-10-22, 08:02 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you're still looking for this but, skip the really expensive kits...

This is the RoadTop one...

Wireless CarPlay for High Configuration Lexus NX RX IS ES GS RC LS LX LC 14-20 | eBay

The HIGH config is for the Joystick models (2013-2017), This is a plug and play kit (You do need to pull the dash apart but, it's easy to do with the right tools). It does support wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay. 2013-2015 will have the split screen, 2016-2017 will have full screen (changed with a few jumpers on the device). Plenty of install directions in this thread.

This really is one of the best addons you can put in your 2013-2017 LS.... It EVEN has HDMI in, so you can play HDMI devices on your screen.

Kind of bumping this thread because new owners should see this option, for $280, its' a deal of the century for the infotainment system in the LS460

Dave - which is my best option for 2014 LS for Apple Carplay? Roadtop or Lsailt? Isn’t Lsailt almost douple in price?

Old 11-28-22, 12:51 PM
mhpaperboy
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So DavidinCT,

What would you suggest? I've got a 2016 LS460L and I use an Apple Iphone.

Wireless CarPlay for High Configuration Lexus NX RX IS ES GS RC LS LX LC 14-20?

Morris

Last edited by mhpaperboy; 11-28-22 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-11-22, 05:42 AM
Bill3
6th Gear

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Bill3; 01-06-23 at 05:18 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-13-22, 06:46 AM
Bill3
6th Gear

I'd like to thank SW17LS for starting this page and everyone else for contributing.

Here is my experience with trying Carlinkit interface on a 2014 LS. I figured enough time had past since SW17LS started this thread that the interface would have been updated enough times to work acceptably for the 2014 year.

I knew going into this that "my mileage may vary"... After sorting out a bad video cable (the split blue cable going to the display), I have carplay that works. The joystick is wonky -this was expected. I am annoyed by the fact that nothing factory works with joystick or shows on the screen, even when I am not in interface mode (long press on menu button). The ony thing I can do is switch audio input when not in interface mode. Factory map, any audio controls, or any climate controls don't show on left side of screen. Right side of screen shows audio off (even when it's playing), climate screen shows "climate control system error. please contact your dealer". And I do not think the audio is as good - sounds like a lot of the sound is coming from the front center.

Maybe some of the other brands mentioned above work better. If I were to do it again, I think I'd try the phone mirroring option.

I believe this interface may work a lot better on a newer model (2016+). I am ready to take my losses and willing to offer (give) it to anyone else that would like to give it a go.
Old 12-20-22, 07:10 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav7414
Dave - which is my best option for 2014 LS for Apple Carplay? Roadtop or Lsailt? Isn’t Lsailt almost douple in price?
This is a while ago. The RoadTop is on ebay for like $275 or so. This will do Android Auto and Apple Car play wirelessly. I use this every day when I use my car, it takes about 30 seconds to 1 min to connect with the phone in my pocket. This can be DYI thing but, it's kind of a big job, if you can follow directions it's not bad but, make sure you plan a day to do it (although you can do it in a few hours once you know what you doing.)

They both have their things with them but, the Road Top is a Carplay only device, the Lsailt is an Android device with a car play plugin. Keep in mind, I use the RoadTop every day, the Lsailt I sold like 2 years ago, I do not know if things have changed but, the Lsailt was like $600 but, not sure now.
Old 12-20-22, 07:43 AM
mhpaperboy
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ended up buying: Item # 432423423423 Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB2W Wireless S-Connect Interface for Select 2013-2021 Lexus Models with NAV
I'm having it installed professionally this week or next. I'll post a review after I've been using it for a a couple of weeks. Beat-Sonic customer service has been very good (communicative) and promises that the unit will work seamlessly. We'll see about that. MH
The following 2 users liked this post by mhpaperboy:
DavidinCT (12-20-22), lwsledge (12-21-22)
Old 12-21-22, 01:46 PM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, this looks like a must have. How much is the install going to run?
Old 01-05-23, 02:10 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bfor3
Damn, this looks like a must have. How much is the install going to run?
From our experience, the install cost depends on the shop, but in general between $200-$350. It also depends if you want any extra options such as flush mount USB, etc...
Old 01-05-23, 02:12 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

We also plan to run a group buy order starting next week (January 10th). The group discount will be $120. If you are interested to join our next group buy order, you can pm us your name and email address, and we will add you to the group buy order list.
Old 01-29-23, 02:23 PM
robad
2nd gear

gromaudio, Is the group buy still available?
Old 01-29-23, 03:42 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default site gone

Just a heads up/warning that the original unit is no longer available-could be for any number of reasons, but I smell snake oil. Anyone buying from ALibaba is getting western Asian junk w.o warranties, afaict.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyC407 (08-29-23)
Old 01-30-23, 08:22 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by robad
gromaudio, Is the group buy still available?
The group buy period is now over. We will have the next group order some time in March 2023, if you would like to participate - send us the PM with your name and email address, we will add you to the list. Otherwise you can use the coupon code for $50 OFF, DRIVEHAPPY.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME