LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 12:17 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
Am I reading this properly, or is there a typo for the $470 off the VT2 - Vlite, making it only $30??
Thank you for pointing it out, it is a typo. Forgot to press the Shift button, I guess. Corrected now. The discount for VLite VT2 is $70.
Old 08-28-23, 03:10 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Thank you!
I need to ask... On a 2014.... How is controls on it (see my post in this thread reviewing other kits that do this)? Is there a video for how to use their kit?

Even with discounts, they are well over $200 more than the other kits, Road Top, or other kits....So, I want to see how it's used and if it's better than the 3rd party ones I have used.

I've used 2 different 3rd party kits in my 2014, so I am wondering what makes yours better.

I looked around for a video on how it's used in 2014 and didn't see anything. I really need to see usability on it.
Old 08-29-23, 10:35 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I just put the vline2 in my 08 and it looks exactly like my aftermarket Sony headunit in my 4Runner. Uses the touchscreen. Android Auto looks the same. The videos Grom puts out are exactly what it looks like. I don't know if that answers your question or not. Took me about 2 hours to install which included finding the dropped bolts that were hiding.

For comparison the Sony unit in my 4Runner took 3 hours, from Crutchfield.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 03:18 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I need to ask... On a 2014.... How is controls on it (see my post in this thread reviewing other kits that do this)? Is there a video for how to use their kit?
I looked around for a video on how it's used in 2014 and didn't see anything. I really need to see usability on it.
For 2014 Lexus LS, there is no touchscreen. You will use the factory stereo controls that you are using for other stereo functions, such as FM radio, climate, etc. Here is the demo on Lexus LS 2013-2014 with factory nav:

Compatible models are:
VLine VL2 - https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex7.html (LEX7VL2)
VLite VT2 - https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/grom-vt2-lex7.html ((LEX7VT2)

DavidinCT (08-31-23)
Old 08-31-23, 05:46 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
For 2014 Lexus LS, there is no touchscreen. You will use the factory stereo controls that you are using for other stereo functions, such as FM radio, climate, etc. Here is the demo on Lexus LS 2013-2014 with factory nav:

https://youtu.be/PC1U-NqRdXk

Compatible models are:
VLine VL2 - https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex7.html (LEX7VL2)
VLite VT2 - https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/grom-vt2-lex7.html ((LEX7VT2)
Thanks, it does look better to control than the 2 others I have tried but, starting at $500 is a little much for me on this one when I can get almost the same experience for less than 1/2 the price. I would love to try it though.

I did review the 2 different 3rd party kits on tried a page back or so....

Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-02-23 at 01:01 PM.
swfla (08-31-23)
Old 09-01-23, 01:26 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Grom! You should add "Disable Media Sink" functionality to your Device as the AAwireless dongle does. It is a really awesome feature to be able to reroute the sound to a Bluetooth device or the phone instead.
Old 09-05-23, 09:26 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Vtallysx4
Hey Grom! You should add "Disable Media Sink" functionality to your Device as the AAwireless dongle does. It is a really awesome feature to be able to reroute the sound to a Bluetooth device or the phone instead.
Interesting, not sure why you would need it with the VLine Vl2 system. Can you please clarify?
Old 09-05-23, 12:29 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

It allows me to use another device for the music playback instead of routing my music through your device, to my radio, to my amplifier. Your device does not have a separate audio out (something which would be useful for those wishing to upgrade their sound system). With this software option, they are able to bypass Android auto forcing all sound through itself and allow the bluetooth audio to go through another device connected to the phone (or the phone itself). For me, thanks to the AAwireless dongle's "disable media sink" ability, my audio and navigation are sent directly to my Bluetooth enabled amplifier, limited only by the codec it supports. It's something only the device a phone connects to can change, you can't disable it on the phone for any connected devices.
Old 09-28-23, 03:53 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

I hopped on the GROM group buy and recently received my VLine VL2 & bundled it w/ the front facing camera & OEM style front camera rectangular switch, allowing me to turn the camera on/off w/ a push of a button. The install of the VLine looks pretty straight forward, so I have no issues installing that on my own.

The switch to turn on/off the camera requires connecting the end wires to:

1. 12V DC accessory/ignition source.
2. ground wire.
3. Camera power wire.

My question is, where can I tap #1 into? It appears the location where the rectangular switch will be installed is in close proximity to the fuse panel. Would I use a fuse tap to get this connected? In the fuse box, is there a ground source? If not, I can just ground it to the chassis, but would rather make is easier on myself to use a plug and play method.

Anyone who has knowledge, please chime in.

TIA!
Old 09-29-23, 10:39 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you looked to see if there are other posts installing cameras? And give your make/model.
Old 09-29-23, 01:35 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

I always exhaust my search efforts before posting for help.

There are other posts of front camera installation, but I'm narrowing it down for assistance specifically for the Grom Audio.

Turns out the rectangular switch I bought from Grom isn't compatible w/ my LS, so I'll be returning it, as I don't want to start cutting panels (mickey mousing) to make it fit.

Beatsonic has a smaller indiscrete on/off button that i'll look into.
Old 09-29-23, 01:38 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

I hopped on the GROM group buy and recently received my VLine VL2 & bundled it w/ the front facing camera & OEM style front camera rectangular switch, allowing me to turn the camera on/off w/ a push of a button. The install of the VLine looks pretty straight forward, so I have no issues installing that on my own.

The switch to turn on/off the camera requires connecting the end wires to:

1. 12V DC accessory/ignition source.
2. ground wire.
3. Camera power wire.

My question is, where can I tap #1 into? It appears the location where the rectangular switch will be installed is in close proximity to the fuse panel. Would I use a fuse tap to get this connected? In the fuse box, is there a ground source? If not, I can just ground it to the chassis, but would rather make is easier on myself to use a plug and play method.

Anyone who has knowledge, please chime in.

TIA!
You can certainly use a fuse tap to get the 12V DC ACC/IGN signal, but unfortunately we cannot find the fuse box diagram online or in any Owners Manuals online. Here is the easiest way to test for a fuse to tap (you will need a multimeter or test light for this):
  1. Put the vehicle in the OFF state
  2. Use the Multimeter to look for fuses that have 0V (Look for non-critical fuses that do not relate to the BCM, Brakes, Airbags, etc) (Anything higher than 10A should have enough room for the camera amperage)
  3. Put the vehicle in the ON state
  4. Use the Multimeter to retest the fuses the fuses that showed 0V while the vehicle was OFF, and see if they show 12V+ now
As for the Ground from the Fuse box, we do not recommend grounding to any fuse box ground and we do recommend grounding to the chassis. You can look for existing grounds in the driver footwell to use. Typically you can find some grounds from the fuse box going to the chassis behind the driver kick panel.
The following 2 users liked this post by gromaudio:
DaveGS4 (09-29-23), XF40FSPORT (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 03:31 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

Are you going to be able to have full screen or will it be split?
Damn, you have all the good stuff for your car
XF40FSPORT (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 04:25 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,273 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
Are you going to be able to have full screen or will it be split?
Damn, you have all the good stuff for your car
Good question since we all saw the recent thread where the LS had the large split screen and the CarPlay displays only on half the screen. I believe it's '13 and '14 models. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the years. XF40FSPORT has a 2013.
XF40FSPORT (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 05:08 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
Good question since we all saw the recent thread where the LS had the large split screen and the CarPlay displays only on half the screen. I believe it's '13 and '14 models. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the years. XF40FSPORT has a 2013.
Correct, mine will only use the portion of the display that covers about 60-70% of the screen. 15-17 utilizes the entire screen.

Having full screen would be dope, but it is what it is…

I think swfla had mentioned that he heard if the stereo is swapped out w/a 15+, it MIGHT have new software where it becomes full screen, but I’m not going to spend $3K+ to test that theory.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME