LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-19, 10:33 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You don’t actually. It uses the car’s microphone, and you don’t need to install the speaker (it will come with one), it plays all of the Audio through the car’s speakers.

Still love it, even my kids noticed the new Google map when they rode in it today.
Thanks,

Are the instructions pretty clear. I will have an audio shop install and dont want to assume they know what parts to install or not.
Are there any other parts I should not install. I assume I dont need the GPS senor is that right?

Thanks again
Old 08-10-19, 08:34 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I am confused as to which model to order. Am I reading correctly that the display is not full screen on a 2013? I have an iPhone, is this more for an android than an iphone?

Last edited by Fhobbs; 08-10-19 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-10-19, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
Thanks,

Are the instructions pretty clear. I will have an audio shop install and dont want to assume they know what parts to install or not.
Are there any other parts I should not install. I assume I dont need the GPS senor is that right?

Thanks again
Any audio shop should be able to install it. I could have installed it, my issue was disassembling and reassembling the dash. You only need the GPS antenna if you're going to want to use Google Maps, etc through the Android box without your phone hooked up for Carplay.

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I am confused as to which model to order. Am I reading correctly that the display is not full screen on a 2013? I have an iPhone, is this more for an android than an iphone?
Display is full screen on all cars, including the 13-17. When you order the manufacturer will contact you to get a picture of your nav setup to be sure you get the right unit. Be sure you choose the unit with the CarPlay dongle.
The following users liked this post:
Fhobbs (08-10-19)
Old 08-10-19, 03:24 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Display is full screen on all cars, including the 13-17. When you order the manufacturer will contact you to get a picture of your nav setup to be sure you get the right unit. Be sure you choose the unit with the CarPlay dongle.
Ah, wouldn't that be nice. The split screen display of the 2013-2015 LS will remain with this kit, with the Maps etc. displaying only in the left 2/3 of the screen. See highlighted text in screenshot below.

steedls400 (10-02-23)
Old 08-10-19, 06:07 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

I saw that but also saw further down the page something that said 2013-2017 were supported and showed a picture at full screen. An update?

Last edited by Fhobbs; 08-10-19 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-10-19, 06:26 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

If someone tries this with CarPlay for a 2010-2012 LS, I’d love to know how it works out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gbp:
CJITTY (05-05-20), NotFasty (08-11-19)
Old 08-10-19, 06:53 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I saw that but also saw further down the page something that said 2013-2017 were supported and showed a picture at full screen. An update?
There are many typos and poor grammar in the description that I wouldn't read too much into this statement, which is technically correct.
- 2013-2017 MY are supported by the kit
- The full screen display could be referring to the 2016-2017
Unless someone installs in a 2013-2015 car, we won't know for certain, but I am pretty sure they will have the split screen.

I have always felt that Lexus could offer a software update for the 2013-2015 LS to convert the split screen to a full screen display. Is there any way we could find out from Lexus engineers whether this is possible?
Old 08-10-19, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, I would contact him to confirm that’s the case.
Old 08-11-19, 05:51 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

I don’t see how to contact anyone, other than the website. Do you have to order first to get contact info? Sorry, SW17LS, I know you were just posting an informational write-up but I appreciate your interest in drilling down in these obscure areas of the product.
Old 08-11-19, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would also recommend that you check out the thread in the 4RX forum I linked to in the email, there's WAY more info about the product in there as there are at least a dozen members who have this and they are more technical than I am. The manufacturer has also posted in that thread.

On the page for the product though if you click on "Lsalit official store" at the top left corner it will open a pull down where you can contact the seller
Fhobbs (08-11-19)
Old 08-12-19, 06:14 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Yep, company confirmed split screen was only option on the 2013-15. They also said that no other system can access full screen either.
Old 08-12-19, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats a bummer, still worthwhile though IMHO...
Old 08-12-19, 09:20 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

I agree, it appears to be a good value, considering it has undergone extensive user testing in the RX forum. Hopefully, this product won't be buggy like the iVIC box from VAIS.

Beatsonic is currently beta-testing their CarPlay kit (http://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexuscar...droidauto.html). It is in the same price range as the LSailt. If Beatsonic provides all the same features, it may be preferable to this Chinese kit because of their excellent customer support based out of Los Angeles.

Here's the thread on the Beatsonic kit
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...o-carplay.html
Old 08-12-19, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So I've lived with it about a week, and have taken a couple 40 mile or so trips. Love it, its a HUGE upgrade for the car.

There are a few glitches here and there, one thing to understand is CarPlay itself has glitches. I was talking to a friend of mine who just bought a brand new MDX with CarPlay and he had a couple of my same glitches. Sometimes the music won't sync up, and you have to unplug it and replug it, sometimes CarPlay with freeze up, and you have to do the same thing. Thats just part of using CarPlay from what I've seen. I would suggest connecting the phone AFTER the car has been started. I've found that sort of "incomplete connection" seems to happen more frequently when I plug in and then start the car.

The one glitch I've had with the unit has happened twice, where I get this message across the screen:

So, unplugging the phone/replugging it does nothing for this. You can switch back to the car's native infotainment but this message comes back when turning the car back on. Resetting the radio (holding down the volume **** until it reboots) doesnt do anything nor does turning off the car and restarting.

The solution is to press the car's MENU button, which kicks it back to the Android unit's interface, selecting "Settings" "Apps" and then "Force Quit" on AirPlay (the app on the unit that runs CarPlay). Then plugging in the phone will connect to CarPlay as normal. Fix is easy, but the first time was a little scary before I figured it out. Like I said, over the past week this has happened two times. Second time was no big deal because I knew what to do.

IMHO, this unit is a must have.
Fhobbs (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 09:25 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

There are a few glitches here and there, one thing to understand is CarPlay itself has glitches. I was talking to a friend of mine who just bought a brand new MDX with CarPlay and he had a couple of my same glitches. Sometimes the music won't sync up, and you have to unplug it and replug it, sometimes CarPlay with freeze up, and you have to do the same thing. Thats just part of using CarPlay from what I've seen. I would suggest connecting the phone AFTER the car has been started. I've found that sort of "incomplete connection" seems to happen more frequently when I plug in and then start the car.
I didn't realize CarPlay and Auto have their own issues that require unplugging and replugging of the phone. This can be a real pain if the phone is sitting in a holder like the ProClip that I have. Perhaps I shouldn't feel too bad about the freezing problem I have with my Beatsonic mirroring kit (due to non-Apple cables), which requires unplugging and replugging to fix.

The one glitch I've had with the unit has happened twice, where I get this message across the screen:

So, unplugging the phone/replugging it does nothing for this. You can switch back to the car's native infotainment but this message comes back when turning the car back on. Resetting the radio (holding down the volume **** until it reboots) doesnt do anything nor does turning off the car and restarting.
Is this an error message from the Lexus infotainment system or the LSailt kit? Thankfully, the error message has perfect grammar and no typos
steedls400 (10-02-23)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME