LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 05:34 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

This came in and I plan on installing it myself, There are plenty of videos of how to get the system out of the car, so just take my time and go step by step. It should be fairly easy but, will plan a few more hours just to take my time and not mess anything up... My WI-FI works perfectly in the garage so I am good The system is pretty much plug and play (no custom wires needed to be created)

Looking over the RX forums on this subject, and doing a TON of reading. People are saying they are using Bluetooth for audio, and not the factory of the LSalt unit... Why and is there a difference ? What is better ?

As my goal is ONLY for Android Auto/Apple car play (I have a Android phone and the device supports both) what other things would you hook up with the system(there is a lot of Extras that come in the box, speaker, GPS, etc) ?

All in all,. I know I can't use the built in XM radio when using this device, so when your using Waze, and your streaming XM radio (it's how I will be using it), how is the audio quality over using the built in XM radio, and will XM volume lower when a Waze notification comes in ?

I AM picky on audio quality and getting the best I can, and I want to make sure I can get the best out of this device....
Old 04-24-20, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I would hook up as little as possible.

Audio quality from streaming is better than XM through the antenna. Make sure the settings in your apps are turned all the way up to the highest streaming settings, and don't use wireless for best quality.

The audio quality through the box is better than the factory BT. Factory BT is very good, for BT but when streaming high definition audio like Tidal or Amazon HD you aren't getting full quality through BT.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 05:46 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would hook up as little as possible.

Audio quality from streaming is better than XM through the antenna. Make sure the settings in your apps are turned all the way up to the highest streaming settings, and don't use wireless for best quality.

The audio quality through the box is better than the factory BT. Factory BT is very good, for BT but when streaming high definition audio like Tidal or Amazon HD you aren't getting full quality through BT.

Thanks. When they installed it in your car... Where did they put it ? Is it in the glove box, or behind the radio ?

I'm just wondering where it could go. Seeing that all you need access to is both USB ports. Where did they put the USB ports in your car ?

DO you need to have a MicroSD card in the unit or not even bother ?

Last one for you.... Does it do a good job charging your phone ? Or is it lower ?

It's why I kind of wanted try the wireless setup so I could keep my phone on the quick charger...
Old 04-25-20, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s behind the carpet on the passenger side of the center console.

It doesn’t charge the phone great, it will maintain its charge.

No need for an SD card
DavidinCT (04-25-20)
Old 05-03-20, 12:05 AM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this unit allow for aftermarket cameras to be hooked up to it?

I have a 2013 GS, but I followed you to this thread (SW17LS) from your posts on the Carlinkit thread.

I am doing the 2016 screen/head unit swap with my 2013. The only issue is Peasodos mentioned the rear camera does not work after the swap (2013 cars are wired a bit differently).

The workaround was to use something like Carlinkit which allows for aftermarket cameras to be hooked directly to the unit (as a bypass).
Old 05-03-20, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure, thats not anything Ive ever tried to do. I recall there being ports for cameras though.
Old 05-03-20, 12:33 PM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure, thats not anything Ive ever tried to do. I recall there being ports for cameras though.
Well that is a good sign if there are ports for cameras. I'll message Cosmo and find out (will update on here).
Old 05-03-20, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cool! I will look forward to hearing what Cosmo says
Old 06-06-20, 05:53 PM
dubsta1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

there is a dongle for carplay now has this been tried by anyone here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlinkit-U...963ae4327ed8d8
Old 07-08-20, 06:43 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Cool! I will look forward to hearing what Cosmo says
I am pulling out my kit finally for install this weekend and laying everything out, I finally got the cables I needed from Japan.... There is video camera input cables it comes with. It appears to have Rear and Front A/V in (composite video) and video out.

This should do what needed. I am thinking about leaving the A/V in semi accessible, so I could hook up a device, maybe a game system to play when sitting in a parking lot...

I could pick up one of those knock off Gameboys that play all games up to N64 and have composite out and just leave it in the car for games everywhere

Steve, if you see this... Can your iphone access data off a usb drive that is attached ? I am wondering if using a USB drive stored with music will provide perm music storage...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-08-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 01:24 PM
oakley6688
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wondering any option for my 2011 ls460

since the cliamate control is buildt in the screen, any possible to swap with a aftermaket unit?
if so, how they manage the climate control problem? thx
Old 07-10-20, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've never tried that, best to ask Cosmo if it can do that...
Old 07-11-20, 06:43 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

I've never tried that, best to ask Cosmo if it can do that...
Steve ! Thanks for your glowing review of this system, the system (Carplay) can ONLY access data on the PHONE, the USB on the device is ONLY for the Android system.

TODAY was the day I wanted to get it installed. About 5-6 hours and the car is still not back together but it's fully running now. I was not rushing though this (I had other things to do during the day), and I am going to polish parts before I put them back, so a few more hours tomorrow putting it back together. Under the passengers side of the carpet dam what a great idea... Easy one... Thanks again Steve !

I didn't want the wires all over the place, or hiding in the trim, I wanted it like it was a factory thing. So I did this so it could be in the center console, I trimmed the ears on the cable, Picked this up Wish.com for $6, dual USB 3.0 cables with good shielding that is 6' long. This is why it took so long to get installed as I ordered and was waiting for this cable

Don't mind the mess on it, I need to sand it a little an polish it a little, so it's clean. I used a Dremel tool to cut a hole that I can attach the cable that was made to fit in a spot. The complete replacement part on eBay is under $50, so if I want to reverse it, it would not be too hard or expensive... It's also at the bottom something NO one would even SEE if they looked in there... but, anyway, it's me, I NEED to make sure it's perfect... I thought the idea would be cool to share..

One side for Android Auto / Apple Carplay, the other is for manually updating the device (it's done over wi-fi anyway) or if I decide I want to use the built in system and put music on it. I DO have a Android phone.

My thoughts so far....

1. As Steve said, COMPLETE game changer, My car is now internet connected, and it brings it into the modern ages for infotainment systems.. I'd be happy with this over some 2020 cars systems... and I have it in my 2014
2. It has it's quirks, It's a mouse, not a move to click each item like the car is. It's something to get used to. You have a little dot to move around with the controller/mouse. I wish it snapped to items that you can use. Android Auto / Apple carplay is really designed for a touch screen, and as this, it would be so much better but, still it's awesome for what it is.... . Can I upgrade my system a touch screen ?????? Hmmmm...I'll send a message to Cosmo...
3. Maybe I just don't know but, it's sometimes funky to get into, I'll go into Aux and it will just show the default screen, and it might pop up but, I'll bring up the Nav/ and back, and it will show up. There is no manual for it.
4. I WILL be keeping video in, still deciding if I want to map them to the center console, or I want to just put them under the passengers side (on the plastic bottom with A/V jacks). Just think sitting waiting for something, I could keep a NES in my glove box and with a everdrive, I could play every game, or one of the Nock off Japan emulators with all the classic games on it.... it IS only composite, so no HDMI systems... BTW, I am a avid gamer from 2600 to my PS4 or Xbox one X and every system in between... so gaming is my thing...
5. The center console is a great idea, IF GPS works fine through the cover, I could drop a FAST wireless charger to deal with the shortcomings of the charging on the system(as it's a slow charger from reports and can sometimes use more battery than it charges)

If PEOPLE here are wondering on install. It's not too bad but, I don't mind this stuff. I got step by step and it went fine. It does look scarier than it actually is. Every screw is mapped out, every piece is carefully placed so it does not get damaged. There IS a lot of things... I followed the Beat-sonic video as a guide
IF you have the puller tools (harbor fright kit is like $4-5) a Philips screw driver and a 10mm socket with extension, you have all the tools you need to do this. Take pictures along the way.

This is my car, after putting stuff just to test, Even the navi screen needs to come out...... It really looks more scary than it actually is.... It's actually fun, drop on some music, and no one bothers you (this was planed for this weekend for over a month now) just get it done.... My wife knew she could not bother me for a project this weekend, this was a scheduled thing !!!!!

My car as of right now (the navi screen is just sitting there, it's lose, It will be secured back up tomorrow !)

Tomorrow is put back together day, I bet by 1pm I will be driving around using Android auto !

Hoped this helped with others thinking about this project...

IT IS AWESOME !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-11-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 08:56 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Hi Dave,

It's great to see that you are having fun with the install. Although Eric from Beatsonic makes the installation look easy, that too working one-handed, it's not trivial! Just to clarify though, which CarPlay/Auto kit are you installing? Beatsonic or LSailt? If the latter, are the connectors identical to the Beatsonic? Make sure you securely wrap all of the connections with electrical tape so that nothing comes loose with time. I am looking forward to seeing pics/video of your setup in action after you finish the installation!

By the way, I will be following some of these same instructions to install a WiFi display dongle in my Beatsonic iPhone mirroring kit (installed behind the radio) that will allow me to mirror my iPhone wirelessly. It was previously possible to do this only for Android with Chromecast, but there are now similar dongles for iPhones also. Beatsonic tested the dongle for me, and it works as expected. I will update and post pics later this month.

DavidinCT (07-12-20)
Old 07-12-20, 05:14 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Dave,

It's great to see that you are having fun with the install. Although Eric from Beatsonic makes the installation look easy, that too working one-handed, it's not trivial! Just to clarify though, which CarPlay/Auto kit are you installing? Beatsonic or LSailt? If the latter, are the connectors identical to the Beatsonic? Make sure you securely wrap all of the connections with electrical tape so that nothing comes loose with time. I am looking forward to seeing pics/video of your setup in action after you finish the installation!

By the way, I will be following some of these same instructions to install a WiFi display dongle in my Beatsonic iPhone mirroring kit (installed behind the radio) that will allow me to mirror my iPhone wirelessly. It was previously possible to do this only for Android with Chromecast, but there are now similar dongles for iPhones also. Beatsonic tested the dongle for me, and it works as expected. I will update and post pics later this month.
I picked up the same system that Steve had, LSailt system, just a little newer version (as I got it a while later). I am using it and wanted it for Android Auto. The setup I got supports Bluetooth connection as well. With what I have heard and read, Android Auto can be hit or miss with Bluetooth. It's why I wired it into the center. The built in OS also supports A/V in, so I am thinking about mounting A/V jacks on same thing.

As for taping the connections, always... I work in IT, and I deal with a little of everything. Many times I get calls because their "mouse" is not working, their USB extension cable they kicked and pulled apart, a little piece of tape, I never get calls again.

I read about phone mirroring and thought about in my 2007 but, I have/had no interest in it after playing with Android Auto. When my 2007 was in a fender bender(and they later totaled it), they gave me a 2019 Ford something or another for a rental, it had Android auto / Apple car play. I was able to use it for 2-3 weeks and I loved what it offered(hated in the car tho). Android Auto or Apple Car play has it's own GUI for the car, not just the phone interface on the screen . Although I think it would be better for a touch screen, it does give a modern update to a getting dated system.

That video really helped and made it fairly easy to do, I had to refer to it a few times but, got through everything with out any problems....It did take quite a while tho

Good luck on your install, set up a time, schedule it with the girlfriend/wife so no one can pull you from it

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-12-20 at 05:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Mod...AWESOME