LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hello all, looking for an opinion on a used ls 460 JDM

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19 | 07:38 PM
nagoya
Driver School Candidate

Default Hello all, looking for an opinion on a used ls 460 JDM

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spre...190615001.html

Hi all, just wondering if anyone would help me out with some opinions on a used car purchase. I am in Japan and considering the above car. 2010 LS 460 with 120k KM (78k miles??), it’s a version C with I package - not sure what the equivalent package would be in other regions but seems to be pretty loaded with the adjustable air suspension, nav, and rear heated seats and shades and everything. Not sure if it has the self parking features or radar cruise or ottoman or whatever. Looks clean and has good inspection ratings but I haven’t seen it in person or ever driven an LS. Its an hour or so away so wanted to do more homework before making the trip. The total cost would be about 8k USD with promise to fix anything before possession is taken and a 3 month warranty.

it would be used lightly and daily mostly for grocery getting and short outings by wife, a couple short (under an hour trip each way) highway commutes to work each week myself, and day trips with our two middle school kids a couple times a month. Basically Mostly city driving up to 50 mph, with about 30% highway driving at up to 60-70 mph (very twisty highways) Would probably want up to 5 years of use at 10k KM a year. Just wondering your opinions on the practicality and reliability of the car for this given running costs, fuel consumption, maintenance etc. Also the ease of driving for my wife, given the size, as Japan’s roads can be narrow in places and parking spots pretty tight sometimes.

The other contender right now is a 2014 b-class 180 sport with 19k miles (32k km) fairly loaded, for about 9k USD with a year warranty.

Obviously different calibre of car. My wife likes to ride higher up when driving. I love cars and the 4th Gen LS has always been a fave, so it would be more for me
Old 08-09-19 | 06:26 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nagoya
https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spre...190615001.html

Hi all, just wondering if anyone would help me out with some opinions on a used car purchase. I am in Japan and considering the above car. 2010 LS 460 with 120k KM (78k miles??), it’s a version C with I package - not sure what the equivalent package would be in other regions but seems to be pretty loaded with the adjustable air suspension, nav, and rear heated seats and shades and everything. Not sure if it has the self parking features or radar cruise or ottoman or whatever. Looks clean and has good inspection ratings but I haven’t seen it in person or ever driven an LS. Its an hour or so away so wanted to do more homework before making the trip. The total cost would be about 8k USD with promise to fix anything before possession is taken and a 3 month warranty.

it would be used lightly and daily mostly for grocery getting and short outings by wife, a couple short (under an hour trip each way) highway commutes to work each week myself, and day trips with our two middle school kids a couple times a month. Basically Mostly city driving up to 50 mph, with about 30% highway driving at up to 60-70 mph (very twisty highways) Would probably want up to 5 years of use at 10k KM a year. Just wondering your opinions on the practicality and reliability of the car for this given running costs, fuel consumption, maintenance etc. Also the ease of driving for my wife, given the size, as Japan’s roads can be narrow in places and parking spots pretty tight sometimes.

The other contender right now is a 2014 b-class 180 sport with 19k miles (32k km) fairly loaded, for about 9k USD with a year warranty.

Obviously different calibre of car. My wife likes to ride higher up when driving. I love cars and the 4th Gen LS has always been a fave, so it would be more for me
I cannot comment on the price nor the road on Japan as I am neither familiar with the car market over there or the state of transportation. But the car you are looking at although having a reasonable amount of features is pretty basic for that year model. It's not a sport package, it's a short wheel base variant, don't have adaptive cruise control and for sure doesn't have the ottoman if it can enlighten you on the car possible options. It may have the self park option but it's a pretty useless feature. You probably do have the Mark Levinson sound system and air suspension which are pretty desirable but then again for that model year it's very common. Having the short wheel base might be better for you if some road in Japan are a tight squeeze. For sure the ls would be head and shoulder above the b-class in the comfort department and fit and finish but for sheer practicality the b-class is probably a better option. Your wife might found the ls more intimidating to drive and park in the tight road of Japan too. In the end it depend if you want to buy something you need or something you like, we only live once and if you ask that question on a Lexus ls owner forum you will get the latter answer. That being said both cars will accomplish what you want and can be excellent family car. The ls is more comfortable but cannot compete with a five door like the merc for cargo capacity depending on what you plan to carry but the non-hybrid ls does have a pretty decent sized trunk. Keep in mind that the back seat on the ls does not fold.

Edit: After looking at the picture it does not have the Mark Levinson sound system either. Also the first time I see an ls 460 without a moonroof, must be a Japan thing.

Last edited by Vansibel; 08-09-19 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-09-19 | 06:42 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

That headroom! That is nice, my LS has the moonroof and I have less than an inch between the top of my head and the roof with the seat at the lowest position. Sitting up straight puts the roof right on my head. I'm 6'1", don't get me wrong the car is awesome, but I'm just a little jealous of that extra inch of room in that one.
Old 08-13-19 | 06:06 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

The seat is sitting at the lowest setting and my head rest is about an inch and half behind the B pillar. It's really not that serious of a problem lol, didn't really pay attention until I saw this post in between clients, just admiring the difference.
Old 08-13-19 | 03:12 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I think in regards to maintenance costs, reliability, fuel economy...I mean yeah there are cheaper alternatives out there for sure, but in this segment I think it's a great choice.

Look out for suspension issues (control arms), oil consumption (higher mileage), brake actuator (that's a big one), leaking valve cover gaskets. I'd say those are the "biggies". Other than that I think it's pretty basic to work on, except for starter replacement and alternator...think those can be a little challenging.