LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS460L AWD Dead Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 09:11 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It might not be the piston rings, a valve spring or a valve. It could also be something as simple as a failed seal on a fuel injector, and there are two injectors per cylinder. Those seals have to be replaced anytime the injectors are pulled and there is a special procedure with special tools for reinstalling the DI injectors. If anyone did any injector work on that car and didn't follow the procedure or made a mistake on one cylinder, that could be the issue. It would be very unusual to have either a ring or valve issue on this engine. Everyone is telling you to do the leak down test because that test will definitively identify where the air pressure is leaking out of the cylinder.

Also, keep in mind that not all purveyors of used parts are honest about condition or mileage on the parts. This includes engines which are a high dollar sale and get a large premium for lower mileage.

I would highly suggest spending $100 to do the leak down test to identify the cylinder and the component that has caused the low compression issue.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Outofspec (08-17-19)
Old 08-17-19, 10:29 AM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Don’t take the guys’ comments and suggestions as a bashing moment. These guys are seriously trying to help a fellow Lexus owner. Other than some trolls that have nothing better to do, majority of the community are taking the time to chime in to help out. Getting a car fully diagnosed can save you $$$ at the end of the day. This kind of mechanical failure isn’t a common incident for these Lexuses. Best of luck for a resolution for this unfortunate matter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikerx80:
sdls (08-17-19), SW17LS (08-17-19)
Old 08-17-19, 11:48 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, and I appreciate all comments for what they are worth. There is actually another twist to this that will make for good fodder, and I will add when it plays out. Apparently this engine had cylinder problems from early in it's life, and there may actually be a little relief from Lexus. Thanks all!
Tom
Old 08-23-19, 06:02 PM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

Ok, Hennessy Lexus here in my neck of the woods had determined that we need a new engine. here is the laugher, they also did not do a leak down test, and basically said what one of the previous shops said. They said that we don't need to spend more of your $ needlessly by doing a leak down test. here is the real belly slapper, their quote for a nice used engine was $5670.00, and $4744.00 to install it. How bout them apples? LOL...Tom

Last edited by elcolonel; 08-24-19 at 12:25 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-24-19, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah, a Lexus dealer is going to be 2-3 times what a good independent shop is going to be easily. If they say 9k, I bet you can get it done for $4k.

The fact that the Lexus dealer wouldnt do the test doesnt mean there isn't value in having it done. Lexus dealers don't investigate things, they replace first.
Old 08-24-19, 04:01 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by elcolonel
Ok, Hennessy Lexus here in my neck of the woods had determined that we need a new engine. here is the laugher, they also did not do a leak down test, and basically said what one of the previous shops said. They said that we don't need to spend more of your $ needlessly by doing a leak down test. here is the real belly slapper, their quote for a nice used engine was $5670.00, and $4744.00 to install it. How bout them apples? LOL...Tom
They still didn’t do a leak down test and told you nothing new.

You wasted your time and money. You should have specified a leak down test upfront. You basically went to the dealer and paid them to give you a ridiculous repair estimate.

I don’t know why you did such a thing.
Old 08-24-19, 04:43 PM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

LOL...
1) I did specify a leak down test..
2) I took it to a dealer because it was required from Lexus to potentially get some manufacturer participation.
3) I compelled you to waste a little time posting to the thread.
Tom
Old 08-24-19, 06:15 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by elcolonel
LOL...
1) I did specify a leak down test..
2) I took it to a dealer because it was required from Lexus to potentially get some manufacturer participation.
3) I compelled you to waste a little time posting to the thread.
Tom
Im surprised u aren’t jumping on Lexus corporate. Clearly an issue from the beginning and a rare one at that. U need to get them to step up to the plate and take full responsibility. That’s where I think ur efforts should focus.
Old 08-24-19, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Gee, I can’t imagine why Lexus wouldn’t try to help you out.

Best of luck. I would suggest perhaps setting it on fire.

Lexus isn’t going to replace an engine in a car with over 100k miles, nor should they. Even if they previously worked on the car, their work isn’t warrantied forever.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-24-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 03:11 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

If I jump on Lexus corporate, the way some here are jumping, I am sure they will bend over backwards for me.. I am doing exactly as I need to do at this point, and it will play out, and I will keep the thread open and report until it plays out.
Tom
Old 08-25-19, 05:24 AM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Gee, I can’t imagine why Lexus wouldn’t try to help you out.

Best of luck. I would suggest perhaps setting it on fire.

Lexus isn’t going to replace an engine in a car with over 100k miles, nor should they. Even if they previously worked on the car, their work isn’t warrantied forever.
I completely disagree with you. He’s had ongoing issues since the beginning. And if poor design /faulty repair work has inflected this engine since its onset Lexus should replace this engine 100%. That’s the view I would maintain and fight for if I were him.
Old 08-25-19, 07:08 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

I have that process initiated. Hell, I have located an adequate engine for $1200.00, if I can get Lexus to install it I would consider it a big win. I will keep the thread posted. It is eligible for ZLZ remedy on the interior and I will pursue that also. The interior parts are on National Back Order(according to Hennessy anyway), and they said several months on that should not be unexpected.
Happy Sunday,
Tom
Old 08-25-19, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by n134sky
I completely disagree with you. He’s had ongoing issues since the beginning. And if poor design /faulty repair work has inflected this engine since its onset Lexus should replace this engine 100%. That’s the view I would maintain and fight for if I were him.
He was not the original owner of the car. Any work was done prior to his ownership.

This sort of thing is also totally dependent on your relationship with the dealer.

Lexus ain’t gonna cover it.
Old 08-25-19, 10:33 AM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He was not the original owner of the car. Any work was done prior to his ownership.

This sort of thing is also totally dependent on your relationship with the dealer.

Lexus ain’t gonna cover it.
Unfortunately, your position wouldn’t do u any favors in getting Lexus to take responsibility, regardless if he is the original owner or not. Your perspective is yours and yours alone. Mine is very different and it allows “unmovable” things to actually be moved. I’m speaking from personal experience with Lexus, when everyone else said, “that’ll never happen”. With the wrong attitude, that is correct, it won’t
Old 08-25-19, 02:09 PM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

I am being very accommodating to SW17LS, because I am going to fly him down to Ga. to throw the match when I douse the car with gasoline. He has been a bastion of calm, clear headed, even keeled commentary, so he gets to throw the match. If I ever need a hostage negotiator, he is my man!
Tom
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (03-12-20)

Quick Reply: 2010 LS460L AWD Dead Cylinder