LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS460L AWD Dead Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 01:44 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey OP, I believe I am now in the same boat as you.
What was the check engine code you had?
mine in p0203
I've replaced spark plugs & fuel injectors as the first shop said it needed.
did that & still have the same code pop up.
now he told my it could be my ECU because the code basically says “open fuel injector circuit” & according to him there’s no power going to cylinder number three.
Old 08-26-19, 04:12 PM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was a P0300 code, and although sub codes P0304, P0305,and P0306 (cylinders 4,5,and 6 misfiring), it is only cylinder 4 that is fatally damaged. You have a different problem, I guess.
Tom
Old 08-26-19, 05:07 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

How many Miles?

Originally Posted by MobbinVIP
Hey OP, I believe I am now in the same boat as you.
What was the check engine code you had?
mine in p0203
I've replaced spark plugs & fuel injectors as the first shop said it needed.
did that & still have the same code pop up.
now he told my it could be my ECU because the code basically says “open fuel injector circuit” & according to him there’s no power going to cylinder number three.
Old 08-26-19, 05:09 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone suspecting a failure of a cylinder must rule out two things before replacing an engine:

1. There is not a failure in the ignition system
2. There is not a failure of the fuel system

Keep in mind that an PCM driver failure can cause the injectors not to fire. Likewise, a wiring issue can cause issues with the injectors and/or coils. Lastly, there can also be a mechanical failure causing low compression, but this can be further investigated as already discussed.

My point is that it is very unusual to have a mechanical issue causing a cylinder failure. P0203 is an injector circuit malfunction. I would confirm there is no issue with the wiring or the PCM before taking any other action. As an example of a common issue, mice will sometimes crawl into an engine bay for warmth and chew up the wires in the engine bay while they are there.
Old 08-26-19, 07:18 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Dear lord, so many of you have a real problem with shops. They could have literally ruled out the injector just by swapping two injectors that are next to each other. Find a new mechanic shop.
Even easier: I did this many years ago on a '96 Avalon to find an issue that 'the shop' said meant the car needed a new engine. After verifying good spark, I checked each fuel injector with a Harbor Freight multimeter. Sure enough, number 5 or something came up open. No continuity.
$60 later (thanks RockAuto) the car was back on the road and is still there now with over 320,000 as far as I know.
The following users liked this post:
LVPUNK (08-26-19)
Old 08-27-19, 02:53 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

I agree with all of you(certainly agree with FunFact that a good shop is hard to come by), I am where I need to be currently, in my saga though. The fellow throwing out the P0200 codes is most probably an electrical issue and I do not see where anybody was telling him to replace the engine. This Lexus dealership I am at, is my 3rd shop, and all are saying the same thing. I realize that a mechanical failure in my case is very rare, but I suspect that getting Lexus corporate involved will, if nothing else compel Hennessy Lexus to investigate the problem further. My problem is mechanical in nature(there has been enough poking around to determine that), and we will get to the bottom of it.
Tom

Last edited by elcolonel; 08-27-19 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-19, 05:20 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by elcolonel
I agree with all of you(certainly agree with FunFact that a good shop is hard to come by), I am where I need to be currently, in my saga though. The fellow throwing out the P0200 codes is most probably an electrical issue and I do not see where anybody was telling him to replace the engine. This Lexus dealership I am at, is my 3rd shop, and all are saying the same thing. I realize that a mechanical failure in my case is very rare, but I suspect that getting Lexus corporate involved will, if nothing else compel Hennessy Lexus to investigate the problem further. My problem is mechanical in nature(there has been enough poking around to determine that), and we will get to the bottom of it.
Tom
Good luck Tom. Keep us posted.
Old 09-10-19, 10:33 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

Ok all, here is the skinny on this saga. No recourse from Lexus corporate. I will sell car for $7500.00 as is, and an engine is available at 1250.00 shipped to a commercial address, and I negotiated 2K to install in m area, so I assume that is attainable elsewhere. It has been interesting to say the least. Good opportunity for someone to put some sweat into this and be in this car for a fair ending.
Thanks to all who offered constructive input!
Tom
Old 09-10-19, 11:14 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

Maybe not even that! I am sure there is a decent shop in the metro Atl. area, I just have not unearthed them yet. sdls come and get it, or tell me where the transport is shipping it to.
Tom
Old 09-11-19, 10:28 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

I had a feeling that SDLS would abandon the thread after the call to purchase...
Old 09-11-19, 11:09 AM
LS460Crown
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a feeling that SDLS would abandon the thread after the call to purchase...
Hi Tom- Can you post some pictures of the car? Was your friend a non-smoker? Anything besides the dead cylinder issue?
Old 09-11-19, 11:42 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

I will post pictures by the beginning of next week. I do not smell smoke in the car, paint needs help.
Tom
Old 09-11-19, 12:58 PM
LS460Crown
Driver

I will post pictures by the beginning of next week. I do not smell smoke in the car, paint needs help.
Tom
Thanks Tom- What is the color? Any rips or tears inside the car? Look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 09-12-19, 06:21 AM
elcolonel
Driver School Candidate

The interior is good, with just a side piece of trim on the driver side pillar that is worn. Hennesy Lexus did inspect and open a ZLZ claim and parts are in Que, but it could be a couple of months before arrival. Whatever they replace will be new, anything new is good. The bottom line is, I guess it is not out of the realm of possibility that an engine replacement is not needed, I just do not have the time, or the storage capacity right now, to keep searching for a shop that will dig deeper to make an exact determination.
I will definitely find time to get pictures this weekend. All features and functions inside are working(I ran everything and all seems fine), and I will probably get back to the dealership on Saturday to get pics. I will leave it there until they tell me to move it.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-12-19, 09:27 AM
LS460Crown
Driver

Tom - Sounds good, thanks!

Quick Reply: 2010 LS460L AWD Dead Cylinder